1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

High-profile 'tactical' cap. Where to get?

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by USTF, Feb 18, 2015.

1. USTF

USTF Loaded Pockets

Hi all.
    So, I'm looking for a baseball cap with velcro, or a tactical cap, or a contractor cap, whatever its name is.
    I had a Blackhawk! Contractor Cap, but it was very low-profile. I'm not sure if I'm using a correct word, but basically it's just covering the top of my head and top halves of my temples, leaving a gap above my ears mostly uncovered.
    Same with Condor Tactical Cap, though it's a bit better. I currently wear it now.
    But I'm looking for a high-profile cap (preferably tan-coloured), which is somewhat difficult to find. I think that's because low-profile is intended for headsets and sunglasses' frames not messing with fabric and hurting the head.

So, anyone know any brands that may have what I'm looking for?

Something like this may be it.
    Maybe it's a Condor cap as well, the same one I have, and it fits the head differently because of its (head's) shape. Because for me the edge of the cap is visibly above my ears.
    [​IMG]

Recommendations anyone?
    Thanks in advance.

hal_chase and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  2. Cobra 6 Actual

Cobra 6 Actual Loaded Pockets

Not exactly sure if I understand what you want. But, a number of companies make 'tactical' or 'contractor' caps to include 5.11, Under Armour, Code 3 Tactical, Blue Force, Viper, Tactical Tailor ... Check those out and let's see if we found what you want or not.

(You already mention Blackhawk and Condor, so I'll skip over those two.)

USTF, hal_chase and T.H.Cone like this.
  3. Municipal_Jedi

Municipal_Jedi Loaded Pockets

You can also check out Mil-spec Monkey. He has a few different caps made on the flex-fit platform which is IMHO one of the most comfortable baseball style hats going.

4. hal_chase
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

hal_chase EDC Junkie!!!!!

USTF
    ITS Crew Cover goes down to my ears on my head, comes in Coyote, Multicam, Black, Grey and A-TACS :)

Cobra 6 Actual, T.H.Cone and USTF like this.
  5. USTF

USTF Loaded Pockets

Sorry for that, English is not my native language, so, you know.
    Googled a bit for the right term, and I guess it's called "crown profile". Low (which is the case with Blackhawk and Condor), mid (seems to be what I'm looking for) and high.

I checked 5.11 and UA, the former is with mesh panels and seems to be a "low crown" one as well as UA. Code 3 Tactical seems to list in its catalog other brands' caps and they're all low.
    I heard of MSM caps, and they look interesting, but I don't like the very big velcro panels, but rather go for a classic version (narrow long velcro at the back, standard, flag-size panel at the front). The plugs are also useless for me, so that's not an option.

So, the ideal cap would be:
    - not low crown profile, so that I can nearly, almost feel the cap's fabric just above my ears.
    - standard-sized velcro panels;
    - tan or khaki;
    - no mesh;
    - preferably velcro size adjustment (like Blackhawk), not a buckle (like Condor);

Blackhawk Cap was almost ideal, except for its height (or crown profile). It really felt like a kippah and I always wondered whether a strong wind was going to blow it off my head.

Thank you all for your replies, though.
    Maybe I just got the wrong head shape.

Cobra 6 Actual likes this.
  6. Cobra 6 Actual

Cobra 6 Actual Loaded Pockets

We just have to keep working at it, USTF, and someone on here will post the company name that makes exactly what you're looking for. OK, guys, help him out!

hal_chase likes this.
  7. hal_chase
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

ITS Crew Cover still fits these requirements (one front panel velcro, one across rear adjuster and two small rears for Cats Eyes), velcro adjuster, no mesh ;)

Tony Sal, Cobra 6 Actual and USTF like this.
  8. hal_chase
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Here....found this in my thread >>

[​IMG]

Cobra 6 Actual and USTF like this.
  9. USTF

USTF Loaded Pockets

Yeah, took a look at their photos and that's definitely interesting. Thanks, I'll keep this brand in mind.
    Since I don't live in the States, it'll be a problem to order it online, but I hope to be in NY in Summer, and I'll be looking for any options that may show up here, this ITS included.

I'm starting to feel it'll be a very long list ( : back where I come from only the most popular brands are known, such as BH!, 5.11, UA, Condor, not to mention somewhat cheaper Rothco, Tru-Spec and others. Never actually heard of Code 3 Tactical or ITS, and no Tactical Tailor's here either.

In the wishlist!

Cobra 6 Actual and hal_chase like this.
  10. hal_chase
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

USTF ITS ship worldwide (I am from UK)....their flat rate shipping is not cheap though but worth it if you buy a few items from them :)

Cobra 6 Actual and USTF like this.
  11. USTF

USTF Loaded Pockets

Well, they have a lot of interesting stuff, sure. I'll remember to take a closer look at them later.
    Really good you came up with their cap, it should be it.
    p.s. if I ever stand trial for buying too much EDC, be it apparel, gear or anything, you forum guys are to blame! ( :

12. Nighted
    • In Omnia Paratus

Nighted Loaded Pockets

Viper Headwear. Check them out.

13. USTF

USTF Loaded Pockets

Great one, thanks. Viper specifically mentions the crown type, I like it. They have 2 no-mesh versions, "Diamondback" is listed as "lower crown" and "Cobra" as "medium crown". Am I right that the Diamondback would be my choice as it fits deeper and goes farther down the head toward the ears (also read a review of Diamondback and the author also mentions deep fit)?
    It's just that the pic I've found earlier says that I should look for a "high crown" cap, not "low". Confusing.

Cobra 6 Actual and hal_chase like this.
  14. pipey

pipey Loaded Pockets

Milspecmonkey tactical ball caps. [​IMG] has velcro front and back and small piece on top for glint patch. Comes ìn various colours. Available in mesh variant or solid cotton. Hope this helps.

USTF, Cobra 6 Actual and hal_chase like this.
  15. Nighted
    • In Omnia Paratus

Nighted Loaded Pockets

I think most of us wear the lower crown style hats, including myself. I've never had an issue with the fit as you have described.

I wear flexfit hats btw and the only issue I ever had similar to yours is when I had purchased the wrong size.

USTF and hal_chase like this.
  16. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

17. Nighted
    • In Omnia Paratus

Nighted Loaded Pockets

cheeser, USTF and hal_chase like this.
  18. USTF

USTF Loaded Pockets

Well, since all the caps I've worn are "one size fits all", it's not a mistake from my end. My size is 60 cm, though, that's about 23.62", so yeah, headwear may be a bit small sometimes.

Thanks a lot for posting, appreciate it, but, as I've written before, MSM's velcros are not really ones I like.

hal_chase likes this.
  19. Barchack

Barchack Loaded Pockets

The Acrteryx BAC sounds like it meets your needs.
    I grabbed one for my dad, who has a very large dome, and he loves it.
    The Velcro panel is small, and the design on the Velcro makes it look far more normal than other tacticool hats

20. echo victor

echo victor Previously "YankeeHotelFoxtrot"

what about 215gear?