1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

HI-TEC-C ... love and hate at the same time

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by marsos52, Dec 16, 2012.

1. marsos52

marsos52 Loaded Pockets

the love..
    ive been a ball pen user for so many years. i never drifted to gel and roller balls etc
    after finding fisher space pen refills that sealed the deal and only bought a pen if it was adaptable
    to user a fisher

after reading about all the love for the hi-tec-c i desided to give it a try, also another thing that helped me cross the line is i been needing a super fine line for writing at work. some things i have to sign has really small spaces to write within

so first i tried a small pilot knock. the pen is to small for my liking but i did like how it wrote
    so i ordered the calavier metal pen. this writes much nicer and smoother and has a larger refill.

then i thought it would be nice to have another pen with a hi-tec refill for home use, bought a kickstarter pen and i love this thing

really liking writing with these pens for many reasons, so maybe change is good.

the hate..
    first day with the knock, i bent the point tip. i fixed it with my LM pliers, good to go for a couple days then it stopped working .. thankfully i had a second refill. two weeks later the refill stopped writing, checked it to find to was empty. wow that didnt last long

now i use the cavalier at work. much better, bent the tip, couldnt fix this one at all, replaced the refill good to go. weeks later all is good then today it stopped writing. still has ink, but im amazing how much ink i have used, didnt bent the tip. its dead in the water.

so im very dissappointed with these refills, ink get used fast, very easy to damage the tip,
    and can stop working for no reason.

well this is my finding so far. im very interested to hear from other hi tec users
    and get your feelings and see if you have found similar pros and cons as I..

thanks and happy holidays

2. Merrib64

Merrib64 Loaded Pockets

To me any pen that uses a G2 refill is a pen that is for me. The G2 refill has never given me any problems.

bigfoot likes this.
  3. SecretMember

SecretMember Loaded Pockets

I've noticed that the tips are really delicate, if I drop my pen on the ground it's guaranteed to be bent. Other then that I think there might be a problem with your refills mine never have those problems.

4. sheriferson

sheriferson Loaded Pockets

I've never bent any of my Hi-Tec-C refills with use or otherwise (and I use the 0.3 nibs, which are quite thin, and in a metal body that is quite heavy). I'm really surprised you've managed to bend them several times.

The nib broke on me once, but that was when I dropped the metal pen body (Render-K), from some height, onto concrete. So I can't really complain about that one. I've dropped the pen again a couple of times, but the nib didn't break or bend after that one time.

So, maybe there's something wrong with the Cavalier kind (they're weaker and/or have less ink). Have you tried the original Hi-Tec-C/G-Tec-C4 variety? I've been very happy with them.

5. marsos52

marsos52 Loaded Pockets

the calalier metal body only accepts the hi tec refills made for this model pen. just as the knock only take hi tec refills for that body.
    i use the regular hi tec c .04 in my big idea stainless pen now that is a heavy pen, so far all is good with it. last week i used it at work to see if it can
    take the heat haha
    so far so good

6. Stonerman33
    • In Omnia Paratus

Stonerman33 Loaded Pockets

I think it all depends on the type of pen you are coming from. Typical ballpoint users generally write with a heavy hand, and that may bend the tip of the tiny Hi-Tec C in no time flat. If you use fountain pens with any regularity, you learn to use little to no pressure at all on the paper. Just make sure you aren't giving the pen a death grip when you're writing. I've had decent luck with Hi-Tec Cs for the most part, but I have come across a dud or two. I generally use them at work as they are fairly cheap (Aftermarket bodies excluded) and do fine with multiple copies whereas my fountain pens are not cheap and do not transfer reliably.