1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Hi from England

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by symeon, Jan 2, 2008.

1. symeon

symeon Empty Pockets

Hi everyone, Im Simon, and I live in a tiny village in the North east of England.

I dont carry much, just usual wallet, work ID holder, a few guitar picks, and a pocketknife styled multi-tool originally purchased when I was about 15 to use for my mountain bike.
    Im now 27, married with a 19 month old son, and still have that tool, just not for mountainbiking anymore.
    I was going to say you wouldnt believe just how handy the tool has been over the years, but you guys probably do more than anyone else in the world lol.
    Sometimes I also carry an AA mini maglite, not as a flashlight because that died a while ago, but its still kinda weighty with batteries in :evilgrin:

Ive been checking out the sections of this forum, and if I were to carry even a small part of what you guys over there carry, Id be arrested for going equipped to steal or something.

Anyways, just thought Id come in and say hi.

2. Goldtanker

Goldtanker Empty Pockets

Hi Simon-

Welcome to EDCF!

Denny

3. Lugsalot

Lugsalot EDC Junkie!!!!!

Welcome to EDCF, Simon! :highfive:

While the humble Mini Mag might make a good "emergency" tool, it's marginally more useful with a fresh set of batteries and a working bulb installed! ;D

Also, does your bike multi-tool include a blade? If not, it's a good excuse reason to add a Swiss Army Knife or some other non-locking folder to your gear.

4. scríbhneoir
    • Administrator

scríbhneoir Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

Welcome!

Karen

5. Codeman

Codeman Loaded Pockets

Glad to have you!

6. symeon

symeon Empty Pockets

It doesnt have a blade no, which is the reason I freely carry it every day, because in England if we were found carrying any kind of blade without a VERY good reason, it will be confiscated and we can also end up with a prosecution.
    I think sometimes people can get away with having smallish blades on the likes of Gerber multitools, or victorinox etc, but it just depends on your criminal history, and if you get stopped by an awkward police officer.

Oh, and the mini-mag like really died, not just dead batteries lol.
    I had it in it's 'candle' mode, knocked it off the side onto a hard floor, and since then it hasnt worked at all.
    I just carry it to have it to hand if needed, for self-defence purposes only you understand ;D

Sy

7. Lugsalot

Lugsalot EDC Junkie!!!!!

It's been said before that the AA Mini Mag works better as a fist-load than as a flashlight! :p

But seriously, I thought only blades with a locking mechanism were prohibited in the UK. Is it in the books that your LEOs have carte blanche to take you in for any non-locking knife for which you cannot provide "just cause" for carrying, or are they just playing loose with the rules? I can hardly imagine anybody claiming you need a "good reason" to carry something as innocuous as a Vic Classic (or any similarly small, non-threatening folding knife), but then, as a Californian, I'm well-acquainted with ridiculous laws. :shrug:

8. appletree_man

appletree_man Empty Pockets

Hiya Simon :D welcome.

Any non-locking folding knife with a blade length under 3 inches (such as a 91mm Swiss Army Knife) is perfectly legal to carry in the UK. You do not need a good reason, or indeed any reason.
    The only place you can't carry it is while traveling by air, or in schools. You may also see restrictions in courts, etc.

Fixed blade knives (any length) are illegal for EDC without good reason, as are locking blades.

Get yourself a little Vic Rambler on your keyring, you will be amazed how handy it is ;D

9. parnass

parnass Loaded Pockets

:welcome: Welcome to EDC Forums, Simon.

10. symeon

symeon Empty Pockets

Oh well, its just that when talking to a police officer one day whilst at work, the subject of knives came up after talking on body armour, and he told me that if he finds any blade on someone, it gets confiscated until they produce a good reason for having it, regardless of size.
    And 9 times out of 10 they never get collected from the local station.
    I just assumed that was the case overall, guess that was just him.

Oh, and thanks for all the replies guys ;D

Sy

11. appletree_man

Some cops don't know the law. If this ever did happen please make sure you collect it from the station, and put in a complaint.
    I certainly don't want to cause problems for hard working cops, but if some are taking legal knives from honest law abiding folk, it has to be challenged.

12. symeon

symeon Empty Pockets

I can see your point, there are alot of coppers who seem to need a good long refresher on the law, and there are those who are over-eager taking everything too literally.
    This was a copper who actually knew what he was talking about (for a change), but his personal view on knives was that they shouldnt be carried, and if someone wanted it back that badly they'd go down the station and collect it. Most of the time, they dont, which shows just how many people carry as a status thing rather than as a tool.

Personally, I wouldnt carry a knife.
    Ive never had the need of one whilst out and about, and I have enough of a problem with people carrying them in my job, so I dont want to ever be seen as condoning carrying.
    I can see why people do, from an actual usage point of view, but those who carry for the sake of carrying I have no time for.

Sorry if I have touched any nerves on here, I know there are different views on things between different countries, but I personally wouldnt carry a knife on me unless it was an absolute emergency.
    Saying that, I have carried whats known over here as a Stanley knife, a retractable bladed knife used for cutting cables amongst other things, but I carried it in the boot (trunk) of my car, and that was used for work.

Sy

13. appletree_man

Sorry if I was a bit pushy Simon ;D

14. aj1985

aj1985 Empty Pockets

Welcome aboard :roof: :roof:

aj

15. pipedreams

pipedreams Loaded Pockets

Welcome to EDCF!

todd

16. symeon

symeon Empty Pockets

No probs appletree man, like I say I can see your point completely.
    I have come across some absolute idiot coppers over the years, both ones who seemingly dont know the law / havent kept up on it, or so new they think they know EVERYTHING about the law.
    Although they arent as bad as a few law students I had the, erm, 'priviledge' to meet one night: Im a bouncer, and we chucked out these students of their end of year party, now, there were quite a few 18+, but alot were still underage, so, we were having issues with them trying it on with the bar staff trying to get drinks.
    This one lad, clearly underage, had been refused twice already, so got his mate to buy him a pint instead.
    As soon as he took a drink from it we kicked him out along with his mate, when we were followed by another mate of theirs, DEMANDING to know why they had been kicked out.
    He then went on and on trying to tell us the law, when we have to deal with it on a daily basis, and he was a 1st year law student - something he seemed to be proud of lol.
    In the end we pushed him lightly away from the front door, as people were trying to leave, and he claimed assault because 'he had his hands in his pockets'. We then told him that unless he removed his hands we would believe him to have a concealed weapon and we were going to search him and detain him til the police arrived... He left, and we never found out whether he had anything or not.
    Phoned the police and they did their usual 'we'll send a unit to investigate'.

This is why I have a problem with people carrying knives for reasons other than as a tool btw.

Sy

17. appletree_man

Indeed, a nightclub is one place where no one should have a knife, even a little one.
    Stay safe mate :thumbsup:

18. Chux

Chux Loaded Pockets

Welcome to the forum :)

FWIW the boot of your car is deemed to be a public place in UK law so having a restriced knife in your locked car without a good reason (though using it for work, as you stated above, is a legitimate reason) could land you in trouble if the police had cause to search you.

19. bruner

bruner Loaded Pockets

Welcome symeon!

Dan

:)

20. Stormstaff

Stormstaff Loaded Pockets

Welcome to the EDCF family!! :highfive: