1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Hi from Australia

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Abhi Beckert, Jun 5, 2019.

1. Abhi Beckert

Abhi Beckert Empty Pockets

G'day

I'm a software developer based in Cairns on the north east coast of Australia. I also volunteer as a stage manager at a local community theatre which is where most of my EDC interest comes from.

I'm informally on call if anything goes wrong at the theatre, and they operate all day and late into the night, so I try not to leave home without at least a multitool, a good torch, gaff tape (of course!) and a notepad.

My EDC:

* Gerber Center-Drive with a modified belt pouch (velcro replaced with elastic, so I can access it in silence)
    * Led Lenser MT10 with a blue colour filter and a grips safety tether - configured to produce 3 lumens of light output (with the colour filter fitted) on the first button press, for discrete operation
    * Pro-Gaff tape - full roll in my backpack and a small section wrapped around some cord on my keyring
    * Whitelines notebook and a black Zebra Sarassa 0.3mm pen
    * A cellular Apple watch, which I use like an electronic multitool. It tells the time reliably to the second. it makes phone calls and sends/receives text messages. It's got a built in torch. A calculator. Stopwatch. Emergency SOS functionality in-case I fall off a ladder working by myself at 4am... and the most importantly a voice assistant for taking notes when the notebook isn't handy.

When I'm stage managing a show, my EDC expands to a backpack with:

* A first aid kit stocked with the usual supplies, plus commonly medications (pain killers, antihistamines, etc)
    * Black shoes, black Gloves, black ankle length cargo pants, black long sleeve formal shirt that doesn't require ironing
    * Pencil case with several different coloured pens and highlighters, a mechanical pencil, eraser, gaff tape in half a dozen colours including glow in the dark. Also a box of golf pencils for other people who should have their own
    * A "prompt book" which is a folder with typically around 300 sheets of paper, including the show script and copious notes related to the show (schedules, set designs, prop lists, names/phone numbers of everyone involved, a second spare show script to give people when they forget theirs, etc etc). If I'm hit by a bus, another stage manager should be able read everything inside that folder and replace me - running the entire show without needing to ask other people any questions.
    * My laptop
    * A basic tool kit with things my multi-tool isn't good enough for
    * Enough food to survive for about a day, since during a show I often go weeks without having enough time to sit down and eat a meal like a normal person and I may need emergency food to stay alert
    * Deodorant and breath mints, so I can skip a shower without being too offensive.

Last edited by Abhi Beckert, Jun 5, 2019
    #1 Abhi Beckert, Jun 5, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
    Nick4305 and That Movie Guy like this.
  2. Gary Gross

Gary Gross Loaded Pockets

Welcome aboard from Indiana, USA!

3. Nick4305
    • In Omnia Paratus

Nick4305 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Hello and welcome from Italy

4. Treya