1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

HF's EDC

Discussion in 'Show us pics of your EDC!' started by Heywood Floyd, Apr 23, 2013.

1. Heywood Floyd

Heywood Floyd Loaded Pockets

The 3/16" forged Ti shackle used in the above paracord bracelet has some good certified strength ~1,200 lbs shackle break (below is actually a vid - don't stare any longer than 45 secs or it'll break! lol) ...

[​IMG]

microbe, ran23 and Nick4305 like this.
  2. Heywood Floyd

HF's ReWorked Sykco 511 221120
    Here's some work in progress pics just after getting the grind to a blended full height convex and having stripped off the black blade coating. I've a belt grinder that would have done this in short order, it's just in another country so phoey on that. Used emory paper in a wooden jig, water and lots of that elbow grease. It needed a few sessions as the grinding arms weren't up to a few hours of continuous operation. They'd end up getting jammed in one position and needed time to recover ... lol.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The following pics are after a bit more elbow grease on the primary grind and then a stone and strop finished edge.
    It's an Fugly tool but the grip is ergonomically acceptable and above all it cuts like in a different class to original.
    Its first test was on some very seasoned cheese that had a skin like petrified wood. To my grin, it did a great job.
    I use olive oil to keep the blade free of brown and food friendly.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Heywood Floyd

In a pinch, a great way of getting adhesive tape crap etc off knife blades is to use skin oil sebum (please note correct spelling :)). It also can assist with a level of corrosion protection too.

microbe likes this.
  4. Heywood Floyd

HF's Light Carry 120121
    I'm currently carrying an S41 with short tube / 18350 and it's a mighty little pocket rocket, even more svelt without a clip. But overall, the FW3A&T with 18650 are comparatively compact.
    Also, my modus operandi uses lanyards shown between index and middle finger. It gives me flexibility and security when manoeuvring light in hand.
    [​IMG]

5. Heywood Floyd

6. Heywood Floyd

7. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

I never considered using lanyards on my lights, but that might not be such a terrible idea after all.
    I use similar sized lights as you (FW3 or 18350 lights) during winter when doing stuff outside, but as I've mentioned in another thread at some point, I'm playing with the idea of a larger light to carry in some kind of belt attachment, as the little big lights are so easy to loose without noticing when wearing gloves.
    Now, carrying larger lights bring about a whole slew of other issues that has so far been holding me back from taking action on the issue.
    Reading your post make me think that a lanyard could maybe mitigate some of the control issues I have with my current lights, without compromising on size and carry-ability.
    I've never been a lanyard person, but in carrying the clipless Spyderco Manbug for a prolonged time now, I've realized how practical they can be when implemented in a thoughtful way. I carry my manbug in the fifth pocket of my jeans, and with a short lanyard and a small bead that hangs just over the edge of the pocket, it's actually easier to both deploy and re-pocket than any knife I've carried clipped to my front pocket.
    I imagine that by using a lanyard on my flashlight I could do it much in the same manner, just stop using the clip, as it's to fumbly when reseating the light. And with the lanyard and a suitably sized bead hanging over the edge of my pocket, I could easily get it out with gloves on, and have enough tactile feedback to verify it actually went into my pocket after I put it back after use.
    [​IMG]
    I've upped my lanyard game a wee bit since this picture was taken, but still carry exactly the same way, with exactly the same bead.

8. Heywood Floyd

I'm not shy using lanyard on my folding knives. Probably 75% of all have lanyards on them.
    For my lights beyond 10mm Ø cells I use lanyards. My motivation may be different to yours as primarily that ability to still hold the light but free up my finger tips is the clincher for mine. The pocket clips are kept on my larger lights for use in pant and carry bag pockets.
    I don't regularly use flashlights with batteries bigger than 18650s.
    Cool yellow Spydie manbug rig your running there.
    Here's pics of light in hand with lanyard doing its thing.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

microbe, Nick4305, Benton629 and 2 others like this.
  9. Heywood Floyd

HF's Peter Atwood P13 Metric Pry Baby Sheath 240121
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

microbe, Benton629 and Nick4305 like this.
  10. Heywood Floyd

HF's EDC 100321
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

microbe, keycutter, twin63 and 3 others like this.
  11. Heywood Floyd

HF's EDC 210321
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

microbe, kye4some, Nick4305 and 3 others like this.
  12. Heywood Floyd

HF's EDC 290321
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

microbe, kye4some, twin63 and 2 others like this.
  13. Heywood Floyd

HF's EDC 080421
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]