1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Hey, Leatherman!

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by chaosmagnet, May 1, 2019.

1. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

chaosmagnet Loaded Pockets

The release of the new Leatherman Free series got me to thinking. What would I like from a new Leatherman multitool? Not to review my entire collection, here are the ones I carry the most:
    • Signal, modified with the Texas Tool Crafters S30V blade for the second-gen Wave (a REALLY easy mod, I sure wish they still sold this upgrade), carried when hiking and camping
    • MUT, carried whenever I'm carrying a rifle
    • Style PS, on my keyring all the time
    • Wave+, also modified with an S30V blade, carried most days I'm not flying
    For me to really be excited about a new multitool, it would have to displace one of the above. I'm a Leatherman fanboy and have other models stashed in various places, but they're less likely to be carried on my person and so are less interesting, to me.

Really, it's the Wave+ that the Free P2 or P4 would have replaced as my EDC.

So, Leatherman, if you're reading this, here's what I want you to make:
    • The pliers head on the Wave+ is just about perfect. I'm willing to take your word for that the one on the P2 and P4 is stronger; without long-term testing I can't judge. This is the number one implement I use and the most important reason I carry a Leatherman instead of a different brand of multi.
    • I do not care for combo-edge blades, please continue to have both plain-edge and serrated blades on your full-size multis. And for goodness' sake, S30V should be table stakes for knife steel on a premium multi in 2019. I would cheerfully pay for an upgrade to M390. And no, I'm not ever buying or carrying any of the current Charges for the upgrade in blade steel, the pliers head is compromised by the cap crimper, making it far less useful.
    • I sure do like how the scissors look on the P2 and P4, but the Wave+ scissors are surprisingly good for their size. The first-gen Wave scissors are better than on second-gen Wave and Wave+.
    • The medium flat blade on the Wave+ is a great size and useful.
    • The small bit driver on the Wave+ is very useful, especially if you are the go-to guy for field expedient eyeglass repair, as I seem to be for any group I'm in. I've long wanted a little socket on other LM multis that would accept the small bit from the bit kit. Another option could be to add a double-ended bit to the bit kit, one end with the Skeletool RX's glass breaker tip, and the other end with a socket for the small double-ended bit. If you did that, you could take the small bit driver out of the tool and replace it with an awl.
    • Your flat bits work really well. I know not everyone agrees with me here, and I do take a bit of extra care to make sure that they're precisely inline with the head of the fastener, but I've used the hell out of them with a great deal of success since they first came out. They work better for me than cheap full-width 1/4" bits from some manufacturers.
    • The saw looks about the same between the Wave+ and the P4.
    • Multis in this size range need a removable pocket clip. The best pocket clip you've ever made is on the Signal (the pocket clip on the P2 looks really good though). The worst one is on the MUT -- it's worse than worthless. The pocket clip for the Wave is okay but not great.
    Here's what I don't want:
    • The file on the P2 and P4 is an embarrassment. I don't use the file on my Wave+ often but when I do I need it. The P2 and P4 file looks like it was designed for manicures, not for wood or metal.
    • So is the awl. You made a sharp, strong, and very useful awl on the Surge, ST300, and Rebar, so you know how to make an awl. You shouldn't have put a screwdriver tip on something and called it an awl.
    • The Phillips driver on the Free series looks like it was designed for someone who never turns a screw. I hope that it performs better than it looks.
    • Who needs a "package opener" on a multi with a knife blade? "Package openers" are for people who are scared of knives, not for people who use tools.
    The magnets don't seem to be a problem -- one Youtuber produced some iron filings to test with a P4 and it didn't seem to be a problem.

I'd have been happy to upgrade to a Free P4 if the implements were as good as they are on the Wave+, and even more happy if the plain-edge knife blade used a better steel. As it is, if someone gives me one I'll most likely sell it on eBay.

What say you EDCF? What do you want Leatherman to do differently?

MatBlack, Lateck, ox71 and 1 other person like this.
  2. smokingfish

smokingfish Loaded Pockets

I'm happy with the tools on there, but I would pay a little extra for better steel.

chaosmagnet likes this.
  3. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

I could get interested in better steel, maybe CPM-S35VN on the knives. And I totally agree to NOT have combo edge grind blades!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

chaosmagnet likes this.
  4. Lateck

Lateck Loaded Pockets

@chaosmagnet , nice list, well thought out.
    I have not bought a new Leatherman in 2 years (have 8, mostly full size) so I haven't seen the new ones.
    Yes better steel for the blades sounds nice, but I always carry a quality folding knife with me. So not a big thing.

I do hope Leatherman is reading here. They should listen to the users.
    Again, good list.

chaosmagnet likes this.
  5. Tallboyjim

Tallboyjim Loaded Pockets

I’d agree that the “squashed” Philips screwdriver is a backwards step - certainly on something that costs that much money, although I live with it on the wingman.

As a UK member I’d like to see more non-locking options rather than the overpriced juice.

chaosmagnet likes this.
  6. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

chaosmagnet Loaded Pockets

Are internal locking blades legal where you live? Like on the Rebar and ST300?

7. Tallboyjim

Yes and no. If I’m carrying a wave or rebar I’m in trouble if I get lifted by the police (because they both lock) , I’ll need a valid reason to carry it. “Just because” isn’t a valid reason and “self defence” will get you in more bother. “I’m going camping” or “I need it for work and I’m going to work” will be OK. It’s all a bit subjective really, hence I’d like something non-locking which makes my life less complicated.

8. Barbourman04

Barbourman04 Loaded Pockets

Good thing you have freedom.....

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Moshe ben David likes this.
  9. Tallboyjim

I don’t feel oppressed just because I can’t carry a leatherman. YMMV.