1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Here's a new one: I don't carry anything at all!

Discussion in 'Where, When, & How Do We Carry All This Stuff?' started by firefly.serenity, Dec 20, 2010.

1. GRIFFINHAWKS

GRIFFINHAWKS Banned

Why ?

BE WELL .. GH

2. clock

clock Loaded Pockets

Reading thru som ethreads I realize that some EDCers go in phases

EDC craving ► EDC Loaded ► EDC Overloaded ► EDC Frustrated ► EDC minimalist ► EDC craving ► ..etc.

Peaks and valleys
    It has happend to me too.
    This is why I only carry a core EDC set, and carry the rest in the bag.

I carry in my pocket a minimalist kit of small folder, and a keychain or another small folder + folding scissors + tiny tool + tiny flashlight. All in a multitool sheath. Yesterday I went to work and that sheath went in the work bag, not in the pocket. I just was psychologially down (for other unrelated reasons), and wanted to lighten my pockets. But wallet ..etc. were on me.

Last night I went with my kids to a movie type place and we had to return home early but one my sons was "missing" (he always separates from us). We tried calling and SMS'ing but service was not good in the building. I went to near the front row & pulled out the tiny flashlight and fired a few bursts of the tiny LED light towards where I thought he was, plus putting the cell phone near my face ( so he can recognize me) .. It attarcted his attention and he came and joined us without disturbing others alot.

EDC stuff can help you in many unexpected ways.

Oh, BTW, because of that crowd, I left my wallet at home.

3. bobrip

bobrip Loaded Pockets

There are people who do this all the time. They are called women. I can't count the number of times that I have had to drive to where my wife had locked her purse and keys in the car. If has happened to me once.

4. tower
    • In Omnia Paratus

tower Loaded Pockets

I hesitate to ask, but exactly what do you plan on cutting off with your Blur in the bathroom in the dark? :tickedoff:

5. SemperFly

SemperFly Loaded Pockets

at the very least your phone can serve as a makeshift flashlight. regardless of the variable, the ability to call for help in an emergency could mean the difference between life and death far more than your knife would

6. cl0123

cl0123 Loaded Pockets

As long as it works for you. True story from a colleague who used to empty out his pockets into a drawer first thing he reached his office. An incident occurred where the ventilation system in the entire building seemed to be carrying some noxious fumes. Under guidance from the authorities he walked out of the building with everyone else. Half-hour before 5pm and the company made an announcement asking everyone to go home if they so wished. My colleague was stuck because his car keys and other belonging were all locked down inside the building.

7. Rawls

Rawls Loaded Pockets

How's the experiment going?

8. firefly.serenity

firefly.serenity Loaded Pockets

UPDATE: 9 days later:

The experiment is going well. I have realized that my keys must be with me at all times. I do not live in a community where I can easily walk from one place to another, so a car is an absolute necessity. It got super annoying to leave my car keys in my bag all the time, so they eventually made it back into my pocket. Additionally, I have master keys for the place that I work, and I need to be able to open and lock doors often throughout the day. As a matter of convenience, I need my keys with me. Well, I don't "need" them with me, it just makes everything a lot easier.

My Kershaw Blur lasted, as stated, for 24 minutes off of me before I put it back in my pocket.

I did a wallet dump, threw away my old tri-fold, and replaced it with a much simpler product - one of those leather Fossil ones with a money clip and like six pockets for credit cards. I cannot believe how much useless stuff was in my wallet - to say nothing of how many things I cared with personal information on them that I simply do not need. I am not one who lives in fear of identity theft, but I realized that I was carrying a great deal in my wallet that if lost, posed a real threat to me. Why carry anything that I do not need on a daily basis? My wallet is lighter, more simple, and more protected (in that peace-of-mind way) and I love it. I highly recommend a wallet dump and simplification! It's also a lot easier for me to remember what is in there in the event that it is lost or stolen. Why carry four or five credit cards? I only use one, and if it gets lost, I know which one to call the credit card company about. That, a health insurance card, a driver's license and cash are all that I need. Heck, I would hardly need cash if I really got down to brass tacks here; it's just that I don't want to be stranded without it in the case of an emergency.

My wallet doesn't really come with me everywhere. I keep it in my bag, and if I need to leave in the car, I'm taking my bag with me anyway. The wallet, for now, is staying off of me.

So. Nine days later, and it's keys, a simplified wallet and a knife. That's it. I'm getting along just fine. I even simplified my keys, to an extent. I don't need the foot locker key to the one that's in the attic - why did I carry that with me before?

I'm thinking about adding a small Fenix and an Exotac flint to my key ring, but I'm holding off for now. Is there anything that I am really missing if I am without my bag? I should add that I have an entire universe of stuff in my bag, so I'm not exactly as simple as I put off to be. But, if I am separated from my bag, I am feeling pretty good.

Thanks for all the comments!

9. firefly.serenity

firefly.serenity Loaded Pockets

Oh, and regarding my phone:

I used to be really, really, REALLY addicted to my phone (an iPhone 3GS). I put it in my bag as opposed to my pocket, and a pretty neat thing happened: I now check my email and voicemail on my terms. I used to be a slave to my phone - no longer! I check it when I want to (it's often enough in case of an emergency) but I'm no longer revolving my life around it. Maybe this will stick, maybe my addition will come back...time will tell.

10. MM2000

MM2000 Empty Pockets

I would agree that for me most of the fun of E.D.C. is that when the need for something comes up I have the necessary tool right away. I would not be able to not carry my flashlight or Leatherman Wave without really feeling like I had made a mistake. Plus, like the one poster said, you can be away from your bag and it could vanish in a second. If disaster strikes with no notice, I like knowing that I have the supplies that I have on me. Having said that, I've been carrying some form of "pocket gear" for years and it's always changing, the never-ending search for pocket perfection. Good luck with your search.

p.s., Hello from another GONIL member. I'm BikeVP in the geocaching world.

11. NonSenCe

NonSenCe Loaded Pockets

glad its working out.. good for you. :)

addicted to phone/mail is awful. i fight against that always. i do carry my phone on my pocket or holster, but most times its just in "ring once/beep" mode. so i might hear it or might not. even if i hear it i might not answer it. heck i might not ever return calls at all. "you called me, you wanted to talk to me, not the other way around so why should i be expected to call you back..?"

i treat it like old land line.. if im not "home" "available" or am "too busy/tired/bored to answer" or "didnt hear it".. it does not bother me. :) it likely bothers others, but they should be used to it.. have been like this for nearly 10 years with my mobile phone. hahah.

i dont have/need to be connected and available at all times. i dont want to. i like the old days when other people didnt expect everyone beeing online/near phone at all times and call back the split second they see unanswered thing waiting them.

..i too carry very little on me in my pockets daily so i know how little one can manage to go by.. i still am a "newbie" on the edc hobby so i havent gotten used to carry all with me.. i keep my bases covered by having "support vehicles/locations".. main tools and items in cars/lockers/bags near and almost in reach, atleast with little effort. the minimal set is nice to have on my person. something sharp, something to bring more light, something to pay stuff with and id me, and a method to get home or get help. (knife/prythingy, flashlight, wallet, keys and phone)

-i am thinking about getting a notepad into my bag /pocket that i just write what item i used in it (date and time) ..that way i could get a true image what i use and need and how often.. and wouldnt have to rely on memory alone.

its funny how one can do a task without thinking it if one is used to it.. and dont really notice doing it.. only remembers that one time during the day that something stopped the "flowing motion of the mundane task".. someone said something and made you pause.. or you didnt find it where you thought it was, and had to really look for it. you just do it without thinking.

12. pistolsnipe

pistolsnipe Loaded Pockets

if you have your kit in a bag separate from you, the ******* will get you before you get to your kit, proven fact in many a film

13. pistolsnipe

pistolsnipe Loaded Pockets

wow, first post here and already messed up. i read the forum ettiquite but it says nothing about banning the z word...

14. Dr Jekell
    • Administrator
    • In Omnia Paratus

Dr Jekell I had fun once, It was awful.
    Staff Member

The Dreaded "Z" word...