1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Here we go again, help me find a new light.

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by montejames, May 12, 2017.

1. montejames

montejames Loaded Pockets

My current EDC light is exhibiting systems of old age, (Comes on for 5-10 seconds then drops to low power.) It's a Shining Beam Mini. I have an extra so I'm ok for now but would like to have a newer brighter light to switch to. I also carry a FourSevens MK II for flood light needs that often gets lost in my pocket.

I would ask this over at candlepowerforums.com also where I've had a log on for a year or more but still can't post or reply. Even sent email to the admin asking why but was ignored. I guess your a newby over there for a long time. You guys are my only hope for an educated answer.

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

__X__This will be mail-order or Online (location doesn't matter).

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

__x__Up to $75 ish.

3) Format:

__x__I want a flashlight (hand held/self contained).

4) Size:

I like the 1 RCR123 size lights, It's what I've been using. I would accept an 18650 sized light but prefer smaller.

5) Emitter/Light source:Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).

__x__LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)

6) Manufacturer:

__x__I want to buy a light from a large/traditional manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.

7) What power source do you want to use?

__x__I intend to use Rechargeable cells based on less common formats (18500 or 18650 Li-Ion, RCR123, et-al). I have a large number of both RCR123 and 18650. I like the RCR123 lights.
    I would accept an 18650 sized light but prefer smaller.

7a) If you have selected a rechargeable option

__x__I have several separate/stand-alone chargers

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is not a happy experience).

__x__I want to illuminate an entire field, the neighbor's front yard several houses down (300-700 lumens).
    __x__I want search and rescue type illumination (800+ lumens).
    I live rural, only a few neighbor within a mile and want lots of light when checking out the barnyard.

Both are marked in that the first will do but I would rather have 800+.

__x__SPECIAL NOTE: Burst/Turbo mode Category - There are several lights that will run at a super bright maximum for a very limited period (usually 5-10 minutes) and then will "step-down" to a lower level for thermal control. Check here if this is acceptable.

9) Flood vs Throw: Flood covers an area, Throw reaches out to a distance.

__x__Narrow Throw: I want a beam with a very tight "hot center" and minimal "side-spill". Good for distance viewing, fog, and looking through dense undergrowth.

9a) Distance: How far away will you typically need to see with this light (check all that apply)

__X__50-150+ yards/meters(Out to the barn is 50+ yards the pasture on the other side is even further.
    I live in a very rural area with wide open spaces)

10) Runtime:

__x__Up to 30 minutes (I want the brightest [and potentially smallest] light for brief periods)

11) Durability/Usage:

__x__Very Important

12) Switch Size, Type, and location (choose all that apply):

__X__I want a forward clicky (Helpful for momentary activation and signalling).
    __x__I want a momentary switch (Predominantly for use with signalling and short bursts of momentary light only).
    __x__I want a tail mounted switch (found on the majority of today’s high end lights).
    __x__Other, please specify___Is a forward clicky or a reverse clicky a "tactical" switch?___.

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

__x__Off, momentary on and on is all I need.

14)Material/Finish/Coating

__x__ Durable
    __x__Anodized Aluminum – or
    __x__Stainless steel

15) Water resistance

__x__IPX4 (Splash resistant)

16) Storage conditions

__x__Other__On my belt___

17) Special Needs/extras:

__x__Pocket/belt clip
    __x__Holster I can make my own if need be but would like one to start with.

Last edited by montejames, May 13, 2017
    #1 montejames, May 12, 2017
    Last edited: May 13, 2017
  2. Lellobeetle

Lellobeetle Loaded Pockets

For some of those questions you have multiple and different answers marked. For example, for lumen output you have marked both 300-700 as well as 800+. You have search and rescue but you state at the beginning this is to be an EDC light.

#2 Lellobeetle, May 13, 2017
  3. Lellobeetle

Olight S1R Baton Turbo S - Approximately $65 retail - 900 lumens

Olight S1R is pulling out all the stops with this upgrade to the popular S1 and S10R. Almost doubling the output, the Olight S1R produces up to 900 lumens of brightness with 4 output levels. Weighing less than 2 ounces with battery installed and measuring under 3 inches long, this light is incredibly lightweight and compact while still packing a punch. With an included customized RCR123 battery and magnetized charging cable specially designed for the S1R, you're sure to have constant, convenient power. Hands-free options like the magnetized tailcap, lanyard, and clip make this light is sure to meet all of your illumination needs!

Specifications:
    Light Source: Cree XM-L2 LED
    Length: 2.6 in. / 64mm
    Head Diameter: 0.83 in. / 21mm
    Weight (With Battery): 1.27 oz
    Body Material: Aircraft-grade aluminum body with anti-scratch type III hard anodizing
    Battery Source: 550mAh customized RCR123A
    Color : Black
    Max Beam Distance: 477 feet / 145 m
    Waterproof: IPX8
    Impact Resistance: 2 m up to 30 minutes
    Standard Modes: Turbo S: 900 ~ 300 lumens / 1.5 min + 50 min; Turbo: 600 ~ 300 lumens / 1.5 min + 55 min; High: 300 lumens / 1 hr; Mid: 60 lumens / 4 hr 30 min; Low: 12 lumens / 33 hours; Moonlight: 0.5 lumens / 15 days

Features:
    Can be charged through the magnetic contact charging port (other batteries may also be used in S1R, but cannot be charged)
    New 750mA portable USB charging cable
    Brightness increases or decreases gradually: when the flashlight is switched on/off, it will light up or fade gradually to protect eyes from the stimulation caused by sudden brightness change
    Lockout mode can be activated on the side switch for accidental triggering protection, along with a low-voltage indicator underneath
    Reverse polarity protection circuits
    Timer Setting: Short (3 minutes) and long (9 minutes)
    Standby current below 30uA

[​IMG]

4. Holliday

Holliday Loaded Pockets

LOL. No offense but, it is almost comical at this point that this brand and light keep getting recommend for - basically everything - when a light requested.

What about these sections here? Does that light check these boxes?

5. Lellobeetle

Sorry. Must confess I was distracted by some answers andnobviously didn't pay enough attention to others. I didn't realize this light gets suggested a lot. I personally own this light and like it very much and when I saw request for 800+ lumens, clip, rechargeable battery and CR123, this light popped into my thinking.

I will be interested to see what light ticks off every criterion. What is your suggested light for the original poster?

surefire7 likes this.
  6. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Not only this but these Olight are not exactly Throwers which is also exactly what the OP wants.
    I will have to think a little while about this one really.
    Most of the really small RCR123 capable lights are more realistically flood than throw just because they are so small in the first place and thus the reflector is either not deep for throw or not there at all as in the Olight.

7. Holliday

Holliday Loaded Pockets

Right on, EZ. It screams thrower. I'll try to do a deeper search later, but right now this one comes closest (I think), since 18650 was mentioned.
    https://www.amazon.com/Sunwayman-P25C-flashlight-EdisonBright-batteries/dp/B00TY6DLGG

8. montejames

9. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Can we just leave opium out of this?!

aicolainen likes this.
  10. montejames

Hey?? This is my dream world!!

By the way I spent hours looking for one that met the qualifications.
    I don't feel bad asking for help now that I understand it's a difficult request.

Last edited by montejames, May 13, 2017
    #10 montejames, May 13, 2017
    EZDog likes this.
  11. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Look at the Nitecore SRT series?
    A little higher than $75 probably but also infinite brightness adjustment.
    550 claimed lumens on a single 123 sized battery on the SRT3 but more on the 18650 models and they do all kinds of odd tricks to for you to ignore,I know I would!
    But they do pack a decent punch for the size and the control ring with tail switch is maybe the best interface you can have,at least to me it is.

12. BigGreenTick

BigGreenTick Loaded Pockets

The two best throwers I know of in the single 16340 class are the Klarus XT1C & Nitecore M10C. Of course that is relative given the size of the lights in question.

Be aware that while the Klarus has a momentary it will only access either strobe or low depending on the setting.

The Nitecore battery compartment is slightly larger as it is made to fit 18350 batteries, but CR1234/16340s will still work.

13. steeps

steeps Loaded Pockets

I think on CPF your post count needs to be about 10 or something. So try posting some replies to other threads and then I think you can start your own thread.

I'm still thinking on options for you. I agree with the Nitecore suggestions, I have the SRT3 and EC11 but the EC11 doesn't have rear clicky but I like the size and brightness, 900 lumens, it's my dog walker.

https://www.amazon.com/Nitecore-Defender-Lumens-Flashlight-Black/dp/B00DOHT90I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1494729953&keywords=Nitecore+srt3&sr=8-1&tag=cloudbin-20

https://www.amazon.com/Nitecore-EC11-Brightest-Flashlight-Rechargeable/dp/B00VXU4K5M/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1494730124&keywords=Nitecore+ec11&sr=8-2&tag=cloudbin-20

#13 steeps, May 13, 2017
  14. montejames

15. montejames

I can't even reply. All I can do is read. I think I should try a new login.

steeps likes this.
  16. jcwagers

jcwagers Loaded Pockets

I'm going to make a suggestion but you may or may not be interested in the light I'm going to mention. Have you looked at the Atactical A1S? It's a budget light and should run around $30. It has a smooth reflector so that might help with the throw that you are looking for. The only downsides I see are that it comes with a pocket clip but not a holster and that it's an 18650 light rather than a RCR123.

Just throwing an idea out there. I'm sure that some of the others will give more suggestions. However, for the money, that looks to be a decent light. There are tons of reviews on these lights on youtube but I'm going to include one that will show some outside distance shots so you can get an idea. :)

Good luck with your search and let us know what you decide on. :) Take care!

17. montejames

Thanks. I'll look into it.

Did so. Lots of modes, still, it looks like a thrower.

#17 montejames, May 16, 2017
    Last edited: May 16, 2017
  18. BigGreenTick

BigGreenTick Loaded Pockets

One of the switches on the tailcap is the momentary, the second is a reverse clicky. Depending on the setting (outdoor or tactical) the momentary will give you access to either low or strobe respectively. The clicky always gives you instant access to high, but it is not a momentary.

[​IMG]

I believe the XT1C is the only light in that series where they changed it. Probably a consequence of adding the 'outdoor' mode.

Last edited by BigGreenTick, May 16, 2017
    #18 BigGreenTick, May 16, 2017
    Last edited: May 16, 2017
  19. Swe_Nurse

Swe_Nurse Loaded Pockets

If you're willing to travel into 18650 territory there's a lot more potential flashlights in addition to the Atactical A1S. Fenix PD 35/UC 35/TK16, Lumintop EDC 25, Thrunite TC/TN 12, Zebralights (although no rear clicky).

That said both the Klarus and the Nitecores looks interesting. Off do to some research. :rolleyes:

20. JustinAppleseed

JustinAppleseed Empty Pockets

I've carried the Fenix PD35 for about 5 years now... No complaints at all.

Fenix Flashlights FX-PD35TAC Flashlight, 1000 Lumen, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B010ESCLHW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_Em.gzbQF5G4N7

Only problem I had was the selector stopped working after about a year, I called them & then shipped it off, had it back in a week, good as new... Customer service A+

I have 4 others now, wife carries one too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk