1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Help with revolver accuracy

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by BubbaFett, Sep 2, 2016.

1. BubbaFett
    • In Omnia Paratus

BubbaFett Loaded Pockets

I try to hit the range a couple times a month as a minimum to stay practiced for carry and home protection. I mainly use 9mm semis--two Glocks and a Shield.

However, I picked up this beauty a while back and am fond of it. I'd like to carry it occasionally and have it be functional rather than just fun, but so far I have not been able to be near as accurate as my 9mm guns.

[​IMG]

With 9mm I am no bullseye artist but I can get it in the 8 or 9 ring at self defense distances. With .38, I am almost as accurate.

With .357, it is a different story. I'm about half on and half off the plate-sized Shoot N C targets. I'm honestly not sure if it is the recoil, the different platform, or what. I know anticipating recoil is a thing, focusing on the front target, etc.

Anyone else had this issue, and if so what helped?

2. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

Self-fulfilling prophecy. You think that it will "kick like a mule" so you FLINCH and your groups suffer. Practice, grasshopper. It will take time. Good that you don't have a .44 Magnum in that size!

Wishoot, theotherroche and BubbaFett like this.
  3. BubbaFett
    • In Omnia Paratus

BubbaFett Loaded Pockets

It's an L-frame, but I take your point.

4. les snyder

les snyder Loaded Pockets

just in case it isn't you... get a .357dia factory jacketed bullet from a friend that re loads, and make sure that it passes through the throat of each chamber, and is not necked down before it enters the barrel...if you are using hand loads, and the reloader used too "hot" a powder, a melted base will cause keyholes and flyers at pretty close distances... I like 296 and H110 in .357mag YMMV

BubbaFett likes this.
  5. steviesterno

steviesterno Loaded Pockets

I was having a similar problem when I had a GP 100. I would shoot the 38 fine, but I know the 357 would kick, so I would flinch or close my eyes like a rookie. so I would put one round of 357, one 38, and a bunch of empty chambers. then I would spin the chamber so I wouldn't know what round was coming out. Then focus 100% on the front sight. don't let it dip. Slowly pull the trigger till the hammer drops, watching that front sight.

I found out I was yanking it like nobody's business, but this cured it.

WITH AN EMPTY GUN POINTED IN A SAFE DIRECTION: You should be able to rest a dime on the front sight and work the trigger until the hammer drops without the dime falling off. Do this with your Glocks and shield as well and you will see an increase in accuracy, I promise.

theotherroche and BubbaFett like this.
  6. Codeman

Codeman Loaded Pockets

I shot 38SPL to work through the mechanics issues until I had developed the requisite muscle memory. That just left the 357 recoil to deal with. Using some hand exercisers, such as NSD Spinners, to build up strength also helped me.

Good luck!

BubbaFett likes this.
  7. Wesmanthetiger

Wesmanthetiger Loaded Pockets

I had an issue also causing a Ruger Blackhawk .357 to kick. My dad left a chamber empty and watched as I pulled the trigger and the gun kicked... without having fired a round. Lol. A great lesson for me once I was concious of what I was doing.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

BubbaFett and Codeman like this.
  8. Jessie Carter

Jessie Carter Loaded Pockets

You have to convince your senses they are not in mortal peril each time you pull the trigger. Familiarity is what typically helps. The recoil of .357 Mag isn't that heavy, but the blast from those revolvers is impressive. Double up on hearing protection (plugs and OTE) next time you hit the range and relax. Try to shoot strings of six, back to back at a relatively large target. The more rounds go down range the more your senses should dull to the movement and blast of the revolver. Practice with full-house loads to train yourself not to be sensitive to the recoil and blast, then go back to marksmanship fundamentals on smaller targets, remember B R A S S.

BubbaFett likes this.
  9. nick nitro

nick nitro Loaded Pockets

Hours and hours of dry firing. It's a wheel gun so no damage dry firing. First verify an empty weapon. Downloaded ammo in another room. Balance a nickel on the barrel and single action only keep refining your trigger pull to the point the nickel stays on the barrel.

After you have mastered that grasshopper, practice in double action.

Airborne 1 and BubbaFett like this.
  10. les snyder

les snyder Loaded Pockets

once upon a time I shot a wheel gun... load two, skip one, load one... spin cylinder and don't look at it when you close...it will tell you if you are anticipating

Airborne 1 and BubbaFett like this.
  11. Strayz

Strayz Loaded Pockets

Like many here have said.

The only way you get good is by practice. Lots of practice on a regular basis.

BubbaFett likes this.
  12. Wishoot

Wishoot Loaded Pockets

You should just dump that gun. Just sell it to me and be done with it.

BubbaFett likes this.
  13. mauiblue

mauiblue Loaded Pockets

My S&W 686 Plus 4" barrel is my favorite gun to shoot. I'm just as accurate with it shooting .357 magnum full loads as with my S&W Model 41 .22lr pistol. I love shooting .357 magnum rounds, it's the best for fun and SD. I would highly suggest practicing as much as you can possibly afford to. I love the sound and fury of the S&W Model 686 and I am still able to stay on target. It is a different story with my S&W Model 638 with 2" barrel. I'm all over the place at 7-10 yards. Some people are accurate with a J-frame revolver but not me. I know more or less it is a up close and personal weapon.

Practice, practice, and practice some more. You'll get it. Enjoy and be safe.

ran23 and BubbaFett like this.