1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Help with purchasing my first Leatherman; Sidekick or a Wave

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by wazza, Feb 29, 2016.

1. wazza

wazza Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the comparison pics! Thats brilliant and helps tons. Well now you're swaying me to the surge ha. Well up until now then, its the wave. I can carry that anywhere but then seeing the pliers on the serge, although it looks hefty, it does seem like it would be better for work, as for work, weight isnt an issue. Im just wondering for everyday carry, it may be a bit too big.
    Most of the time I would carry a backpack, when out on the bike, so I would throw it in there.

Weej likes this.
  2. wazza

wazza Loaded Pockets

The sidekick is out now, it wasn't a money issue, just thought it looked good. Its now the Wave I recon. Although the Surge has now been thrown in. Im going to check the weights etc

Weej likes this.
  3. 313

313 Uber Prepared

If money's no issue and you want to treat yourself with a bit of extra for your milestone birthday, don't forget about the LM Charge TTi ;)

NKlamerus and Weej like this.
  4. wazza

wazza Loaded Pockets

Haha well maybe I was a little blasé, money is always an issue, Im on a training wage. What I should have said is that money isn't an issue between the sidekick and the wave. Phew, dug myself out of that one

The charge tti is lovely but the cheapest I have found it is £130 to which the cheapest Wave is around £75-£80. Cant justify it to myself.

Weej and alces like this.
  5. Jramirez9083

Jramirez9083 Loaded Pockets

Not a problem. If you want to look for some more comparison pictures just let me know.
    As medusa mentioned, the surge is heavy duty with an emphasis on heavy. Unless you are carrying on the belt or in a bag, it is too big/bulky/heavy for pocket carry. Your mileage might vary though, some people do carry it in the pocket and are happy campers. The wave is ideal for pocket carry with the optional clip. I personally don't like things in my pockets so the multitool goes on my belt all the time and I took advantage of the sheath to carry a few extra things
    [​IMG]
    I always have a bag with me and I carry the the extra bit set and the adapter in it

Weej likes this.
  6. Weej

Weej Loaded Pockets

I replaced my lost sidekick with the wave this christmas, and it is awesome. Only complaint is the lack of pocket clip. But its on the way, so its all good! Im a telco technician and have lots of specialty tools, but always end up using it to save a trip back to the van or out of the attic to my toolbag. If moneys not the deciding factor, go with the wave and order up the pocket clip. Definitely worth it.

sent using the DarkSide of the force...

alces likes this.
  7. wazza

wazza Loaded Pockets

For the Surge the bigger pliers may come in use as well as the removeable cutter, I do like that. Im thinking that the weight may be a pain as there will be times when I want to stick it in my pocket, which may lead to it being left behind.
    As an alrounder its going to be the wave I think

Weej likes this.
  8. wazza

wazza Loaded Pockets

I think the wave is going to get carried more, probably have it in a pounch or on the belt at work but not in day to day life.

Cheers for all of your help guys. You're all splendid!

Weej and Jramirez9083 like this.
  9. Jramirez9083

Jramirez9083 Loaded Pockets

The best tool is the one you have on you when you need it. As good as the surge is it won't do you any good sitting pretty in a drawer. The wave won't let you down

Weej and wazza like this.
  10. wazza

wazza Loaded Pockets

Just seen a Wave in the shop, looks smaller than I expected, even though you guys showed me photos ha. Looks great. Apparently a shop across town has a few models, so Im going to look tomorrow.

11. Blitzwing
    • In Omnia Paratus

Blitzwing Loaded Pockets

Skeletool on clearance at the Depot for 20 bucks

Weej likes this.
  12. wazza

wazza Loaded Pockets

Im in the UK unfortunately.

Weej likes this.
  13. MMMadson

MMMadson Loaded Pockets

Get the Wave. I have a Wingman and it works. It's been nice, but the Wave is a lot nicer.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

Weej likes this.
  14. Kev2488

Kev2488 Loaded Pockets

I have the Wave, Wingman which is basically the same as the sidekick except for one having a saw, a ST300 and a Rebar. ST300 is by far the best Leatherman in my opinion. It's large enough to actually use the pliers on bolts and grabbing things. I got the Rebar because it's basically a ST300 downsized some, it's my EDC multi tool for work and church carry. The wave is great for using the outside blades but the pliers are blood blister makers, I get my thumbs caught in it a lot so much to where I don't carry it. As far as the Wingman goes I wouldn't bother with it the handle shape doesn't feel good in hand and the spring assist is awkward and the tools don't lock just the blades, also on mine and my buddy's the wire cutters don't close all the way. I'd go Rebar. In black oxide I just have the stainless.

Moshe ben David, wazza and Weej like this.
  15. Corey79

Corey79 Empty Pockets

Leathernan Charge TTi
    The best IMHO

Sent from my SM-T113 using Tapatalk

alces and Weej like this.
  16. Weej

Weej Loaded Pockets

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Thought id post this here, just to nudge you towards the wave a bit more. Couldn't find my sheetrock knife, so used the wave...

sent using the DarkSide of the force...

ran23, wazza, alces and 1 other person like this.
  17. wazza

wazza Loaded Pockets

Thats very good advice, the rebar and st300 were my original choice but the only thing that puts me off is that the tool are not inline with the handle edge, they sit in the middle, if Im making sense. Although I have not used one, I imagine that may annoy me.

Weej likes this.
  18. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

You sure it was the Skeletool? At least on the website it is the Rev on clearance at this price point! And in my neck of the woods (No. VA), limited qty left...

Moshe ben David

Weej likes this.
  19. wazza

wazza Loaded Pockets

Nudge away, thats what I need, too many choices ha. Those photos are selling it to me to be honest, gets me thinking that having that in my pocket will help me out a bunch. Cheers for losting those. And Star Wars is amazing, myself and the wife had a Star Wars marathon not so long ago, luckily she loves it as much as me.

Weej likes this.
  20. 313

313 Uber Prepared

Get the Wave, you'll love it.

After some time on the forum you'll end up with about fifteen multitools anyway :D

Weej, SurivStud and wazza like this.