1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Help with purchasing my first Leatherman; Sidekick or a Wave

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by wazza, Feb 29, 2016.

1. wazza

wazza Loaded Pockets

Hello,
    I'm looking at getting a Leatherman for my 30th, well to tell the wife to buy it for my Leatherman.
    Having looked at tons of reviews, photos and reviews.
    The purpose for the tool would be home use, taking it cycling, camping and possibly for work. I'm a trainee electrical engineer and don't need a big tool kit, just a couple of screwdrivers and an adjustable, so I'm thinking a Leatherman would be ideal and save me a massive walk to the stores for tools.
    Due to the possibility of work use, I was looking at the Rebar or Supertool 300, replaceable cutters, ideal. But I'm put off by the fact that when the blade is opened its sat in the middle of the tool, rather than flush with the side of the tool, if I'm making sense? Although I've never used one, I think this may annoy me, it obviously works as tons of people love them but just not for me.

So, I am thinking a Sidekick or a Wave. Obviously the sidekick is a lot cheaper, is this very noticeable, to cheap for work use?
    Does anybody have any comparing photos as when I've searched, all sorts of models pop up.
    If anyone has any advice, as I have no hands on experience with these, it would be appreciated.

Cheers
    Chris

Weej and alces like this.
  2. 313

313 Uber Prepared

One thing to mind with electrical work is that it may be difficult/imposible to access recessed screws with the stock Wave bit holder. The Sidekick's drivers seem to have more reach, I've never actually used one so I can't tell how it works in real life. Otherwise the Wave is a real workhorse and you can't really go wrong with it for camping or work use. Add an extension bit kit and an electrician should be happy. The pouch will also be able to house a couple of extra tools like an AAA flashlight and a small adjustable wrench in the side loops.

If the Leatherman brand and/or one-handed knife opening are not essential for you, do at least check out the Victorinox Spirit for a -IMO- better tool selection and outside tool access. The Spirit Plus set is a great little toolkit.

Personally I use my Wave for dirty, hard work and a Spirit for EDC and more delicate stuff.

Last edited by alces, Feb 29, 2016
    Weej and wazza like this.
  3. wazza

wazza Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the advice, I agree, one handed opening in not needed for myself. I think I'd want the bit kit along with an extension, forgot to mention that, would that work for a wave?
    I'm not familiar with Victorinox, in terms of multi-tools, I will check them out.

I've just stumbled across a Surge too, I thought that opened up like a Supertool, looks like another contender.

Weej and alces like this.
  4. 313

313 Uber Prepared

Yup, works great with the Wave and they're often sold as a pack too.

Weej likes this.
  5. wazza

wazza Loaded Pockets

Great!

When you say Victorinox Spirit plus a little tool kit, do you mean a similar thing to the bit kit, or full size tools.

Weej likes this.
  6. 313

313 Uber Prepared

It's like the LM bit kit, the whole kit fits in the Plus size pouch. The kit comes either with a ratchet or a L shaped bit key.

Do a Google image search on 'Victorinox Spirit Plus', you'll get the idea.

7. andy3101

andy3101 Loaded Pockets

I would allways prefer the Wingman instead of the Sidekick, because I don't need the saw.
    But, Wave or Sidekick, go for the Wave. YOU are worth it. At the end they are both semi-professional for real work.
    I have a Wave since 1999. If you think about the cost per year, all LMs are cheap, no matter what the price is.

8. wazza

wazza Loaded Pockets

I had spotted the wingman but I don't need scissors. Its not the money really that bothers me, as I am getting the wife to buy it ha, they both just looked decent. Thanks for saying I'm worth it though, feel special now.

Weej likes this.
  9. NKlamerus

NKlamerus Loaded Pockets

I would absolutely recommend the Wave over a Wingman/Sidekick.

More tools, more comfortable in the hand, and if you are carrying a bit kit the ONLY thing you lose is a spring loaded handles.

I also don't trust the Wingman pocket clip whatsoever. I had mine slip out twice in the same day and I haven't seriously carried it since. Been carrying my Wave on and off for about a year. Of all the tools and knives I've cycled the Wave always ends up back in my pocket. [​IMG]

I own both, is there anything specific you'd like pictures of to compare them?

Weej, wazza and alces like this.
  10. adnj

adnj Loaded Pockets

I believe that the Wave is great for most of your uses. For work (it sounds like an assembly plant to my ears), I would recommend a small tool pouch or organizer with the tools that you'll need. Things like a pencil DMM, terminal picks, flashlight, Sharpie, micro screwdriver, etc., may be very important and you may need to use them two or more at a time.

11. wazza

wazza Loaded Pockets

As for photos, I just wanted to see the size differences really, as in widths, lengths, the size of the pliers. To be honest it looks like most people are swaying me to the Wave, with a bit kit.

Weej likes this.
  12. wazza

wazza Loaded Pockets

I was thinking of an organiser, it will slip right into the leg pocket then, maybe a maxpedition.
    As for the plant, its a thermal power station, as I'm a trainee I don't need a big tool kit, other than what you suggested, I've only got the flashlight so far.

Weej likes this.
  13. NKlamerus

NKlamerus Loaded Pockets

I'll be in classes until tonight. But I can grab some photos then

14. wazza

wazza Loaded Pockets

Thats brilliant, thanks mate. No rush if you can't to it for a couple of days.

Weej likes this.
  15. adnj

adnj Loaded Pockets

That sounds like a good plan. Maybe the Wave and a nice combination screwdriver like the Picquic to go with your flashlight. That does a lot in any industrial environment.

16. wazza

wazza Loaded Pockets

I've been looking at combi screwdrivers, just not sure of a reliable brand, just googled the Picquic and they look really good.
    I take it you work in a simular industry?

Weej likes this.
  17. wazza

wazza Loaded Pockets

Another question peeps, the boack coated Waves, how does that hold up in time? Does it age well? Or does it scratch off after a while.
    So many questions.

Weej likes this.
  18. adnj

adnj Loaded Pockets

I spent some time on new model car and truck launch at various assembly plants.

19. Jramirez9083

Jramirez9083 Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I dont have a sidekick but i think that, besides a few tools, the wingman is still a pretty decent comparison. The wingman was my first multitool and it did pretty much everything I asked of it, but after a few months I realized that the wave was that much versatile in a package that was the same size of the wingman so I went for it. Go forward in time half a year and they released the new surge. At first I thought it was going to be too big but still got it. Haven't looked back. If I could go back in time and start again I would go for the new surge. I carry it in a sheath so I do not feel the weight. But if your are set on carrying one of the smaller multi tools, like most have already said, I would go for the wave. You don't have the spring action but have more tools and optional accessories to make up for it.

Bismaw, Weej, wazza and 1 other person like this.
  20. MedusaOblongata

MedusaOblongata Loaded Pockets

The Wave is a (the?) multi-tool that approaches perfection. Small and light enough for EDC, capable enough for anything that doesn't require a full toolbox. There's no need to cheap out with the sidekick unless you're broke, or are prone to lose things. The SURGE is a Wave on steroids, a seriously heavy duty multi-tool. It's too heavy for most people to pocket carry comfortably, but if it's destined for a belt sheath or a bag then it's easily doable.

NKlamerus, adnj, Weej and 2 others like this.