1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Help with new rifle

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by VFD51, Nov 14, 2017.

1. VFD51

VFD51 Loaded Pockets

I know this is “handguns” but I’m looking for a .300 win mag. It must be left handed and have a detachable magazine. I will be using it for 1000 yard shoots. Any ideas? Budget is around $1200

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Durandal64

Durandal64 Loaded Pockets

It might be best to double your budget. Or be willing to buy used. As a lefty and as someone who dabbles at 1k, 1200 will buy you nothing with repeatable accuracy. Also, if you don't have any reloading gear, I'd invest in at least a single stage RCBS. I can push my .308 with 175gr SMK out to 1k pretty reliably if I go easy on the coffee. And the wind is right. And the barometer is holding. And Saturn is in the right phase.

I thought AR's were pretty expensive. Turns out it's nothing compared to bolt guns.

RoadWizard, RedLoki and Mudinyeri like this.
  3. Mudinyeri

Mudinyeri Loaded Pockets

I guess we're assuming that @VFD51 is talking about a bolt gun.

That said, is there any particular reason you're set on .300 WINMAG, @VFD51 ? There are plenty of calibers that won't beat you up as much, are cheaper to shoot and can confidently ring steel at 1000 yards.

I disagree that $1200 won't buy your repeatable accuracy, unless you're looking at more than just the rifle. You'll probably spend as much on optics, maybe more, than you spend on your rifle.

Durandal64 likes this.
  4. Durandal64

Durandal64 Loaded Pockets

That is a VERY good point! I guess we also need to ask what is VFD51 expecting for accuracy at 1k? 1moa is 10" at 1k. Bullets going transonic and destabilizing is a real issue. Some calibers do it better. Also bullets. I hated my rifle shooting 168gr shooting 1000 yards. I switched up my hand loads to 175gr SMK/SGK and all of a sudden I was ringing steel (well, not as often as I would like). Those bullets handle transonic better in my hand loads and rifle. YMMV.

Mudinyeri likes this.
  5. sarxsvt

sarxsvt Loaded Pockets

It looks like Savage makes a left-hand model 10/110 BA Stealth in 300 Win Mag. I can't tell if it has a detachable magazine though? I think it does. It should be close to $1200 looking at MSRP. That is really the only thing I see out there like your request.

6. VFD51

VFD51 Loaded Pockets

I’m trying to sell my .308. I do have a RCBS reloading station. I just want silhouette accuracy out to a 1000 or further. 1 MOA is fine. I’m not going to be doing any competition bench rest I want to get good at shooting prone and hitting center mass at some range. I just researched and it seems like the .300 fits the bill. I have shot multiple calibers and I just assumed the .300 would still have enough energy past 1000 yards to put down a “target”. No I’m not a hired assassin lol.

Durandal64 likes this.
  7. VFD51

VFD51 Loaded Pockets

By the way. The $1000 plus or minus budget is just for the rifle. I want to save some for a quality FFP optic and good mounts/rings, bipod etc

Durandal64 likes this.
  8. Mudinyeri

Mudinyeri Loaded Pockets

I'd probably go 6.5 Creedmoor or .243. Neither will beat you up as much as .300 WINMAG and both will do fine to bang steel at 1000 yards. You'll enjoy shooting more so you'll practice more and get better.

The Remington 700 SPS Varmint is available left-handed in .243 for $761 (MSRP). Looks like street price is about $560 - $600.

Edit: That leaves you with some money for a good, quality chassis like a MDT, which will accommodate AICS-style magazines, and maybe a trigger.

9. Aegis22

Aegis22 Empty Pockets

I'd second looking at the 6.5 creedmore or .243 in a remmy 700. Also magpul has affordable bottom metal that takes detachable aics mags for the 700 to still keep you under budget. I use my 700 sendero in 7mm mag occationally out to 700 yards and keep it +/- moa with several hunting loads.

10. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

I don't trust modern Remingtons after the Freedom Group buyout and P51 fiasco. Ditto with Marlin. Older 700s are fine rifles, though. Mine is a mid-70s BDL in 30-06 Springfield.

If you're looking new, Savage makes a sweet shooting rifle for the money. They aren't pretty, but they are excellent shooters. I have personally touched steel at over 1100 yards with a Savage .308 target model with bull barrel and Leupold gold ring optics.

I concur with looking at other calibers. .300 win mag is a great round, but if you're gonna be spending out the nose to shoot something thatll hurt you a bit with every pull of the trigger, you might as well go for .338 Lapua Magnum. It's expensive, but a great long distance round. .308 or 7.62x51 NATO is a good long distance round as well. 6.5 Creedmoor was the de facto standard for long distance marksmanship for many years. Not saying you shouldn't go for the .300, but there are other wonderful rounds to consider as well.

11. Gym55Rat

Gym55Rat Loaded Pockets

I don't shoot out to 1000yrds, however as a fellow lefty I love the action of my tikka t3 hunter.

MCPOWoller likes this.
  12. Mudinyeri

Mudinyeri Loaded Pockets

Have you owned any? Do you shoot them?

I've owned several without a single problem and every one of them that's I've owned with the heavy barrel has been a sub-MOA shooter.

13. thatotherguy

Yes, and yes. And I still don't like them or trust them as much as my older Remingtons, my Savage, my Henry, or even my 91/30, which is ugly but bombproof and has none of the trigger issues of the newer 700s.

14. Mudinyeri

Mudinyeri Loaded Pockets

So, you had a trigger issue? I've known dozens of people who shoot newer 700's and not a single one of them has had an issue.

Edit: I used one in the Sniper Adventure Challenge. I doubt there's another event on earth (outside of war) that beats up man and firearm as much as the SAC. My 700 took a licking and kept on ticking. I beat it against rocks. It was covered in moisture. I've laid out in falling snow covering me and the rifle. Sub-MOA groups all day long every day.

15. thatotherguy

I haven't, but my 700 is a couple of decades older than the new trigger which was subject to the recalls. 700s are good rifles, I just think that there are better rifles out there for the same money, and the P51 put a sour taste in my mouth for Remington, which is not lessened by the problematic triggers on *some* newer 700s.

16. Mudinyeri

Mudinyeri Loaded Pockets

If you know of a similar, left-handed precision rifle (not hunting rifle) for under $1000 please post it up for the OP. Savage doesn't make one in a left-hand configuration.

Also, if you're consistently hitting steel targets at 1100 yards with .308, I'd really like to know what your load is. Most .308 goes subsonic at about 800-900 yards and becomes virtually unpredictable at that point.

17. thatotherguy

It was Hornady match loads, if I remember correctly.

I could have sworn I saw some bull barreled full caliber "varmint" rifles in a lefty configuration from Savage, could be wrong.

EDIT: At the end of the day, the rifle debate is like Ford vs. Chevrolet. There are die hard fans of every platform, and at the same time there are people who simply don't like those platforms. I'm one of the people who likes 700s, but not the new ones, because I think Savage and Winchester both make better rifles, and Savage does it cheaper. If you like the 700, get the 700. It's a proven rifle. I just don't like the newer ones as much as other rifles and I think they can't hold a candle to the older ones. Your mileage will, and clearly does, vary... and that's OK. There's room enough for both of us.

#17 thatotherguy, Nov 20, 2017 at 9:53 AM
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2017 at 9:58 AM
  18. Mudinyeri

Mudinyeri Loaded Pockets

:D

I've owned Fords and Chevys. I've owned Remingtons, Savages, Marlins, Springfields, Winchesters ... you get the picture.

My concerns arise when someone without much/any experience suggests that a certain item is bad (or good) - especially when/if I have considerable experience/evidence to suggest otherwise. I'm not saying you're one of those people but you don't seem to have much experience with newer R700 - just a prejudice against them. I could be wrong. Maybe you've owned several newer R700s and have run thousands of rounds through them. It just doesn't seem that way from what you've said in this thread.

Having owned all of the brands I mentioned above (and several others), I would never make a statement like, "BrandX makes better rifles." (At least not among the brands mentioned.) They all make good rifles for the price point.

Finally, if the OP has any thought at all of customizing his rifle, the aftermarket for the R700 is without equal.

thatotherguy likes this.
  19. VFD51

VFD51 Loaded Pockets

I have searched and searched and found a new savage model 10 FLCP-SR in left hand but its only in .308 and 6.5. None in .300 that I can find. I’m selling several rifles to afford this one so I’m going to be switching to an aftermarket stock with adjustable cheek rest and going to have a local gunsmith do a trigger job and add a muzzle brake. I really don’t care on what brand rifle I start with but I have my preferences, which is savages higher end stuff. I appreciate all the replies. I just have to start getting my reloading set up for .300 win mag now!