1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Help with edc fixed blade choice

Discussion in 'Knives' started by kyguylal, Dec 21, 2011.

1. kyguylal

kyguylal Loaded Pockets

Ok guys so I'm trying to decide on an edc fixed blade. I have narrowed it down to two choices (feel free to recommend others). I'm looking for something small and easily concealable. Looking for something to ride either on the inside of my belt or in my pocket. Just something for everyday, light uses.

I'm thinking a fixed blade because I like the simplicity of them (no moving parts) and that it will be right there ready to go without having to rumble around with a folder.

I'm looking at the CKRT Russell sting and the EESE IZULA.

I'm looking to know if anyone has any experience with either of them and/or what you think.

2. calebklyne

calebklyne Loaded Pockets

Izula. One of the best knives I've ever owned and I beat on mine pretty hard everyday

3. nukehayes

nukehayes Loaded Pockets

4. Kripto

Kripto Evil Sid

I'm a big fan of the Blind Horse Knives, I keep a bushcrafter in my bag. I also like the Bark River Essential EDC (Had Jon order it, it's a beautiful knife)

There are also the neckers (http://www.jsburlys.com/index.php?app=ecom&ns=catshow&ref=barkriverthenecker) that would work, you can put them in a pocket sheath. (Also sold through the forum store)

I find that the nicer looking knives work best for EDC because they are rarely threatening. The ESEE knives are well made and very sturdy knives, but they seem too "tacticool" to me to be worn out and about. I used to have the Esee Izula but sold it here on the forum because it didn't quite fit.. Also, they require more maintenance because the blades will rust if you don't keep them oiled. (I live in a humid environment, so rust is a real problem)

5. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

If I was you, and not already waiting on one. I snag up the bark river Little Creek in the forum store.

6. Kripto

Kripto Evil Sid

+1 those are awesome

7. kyguylal

kyguylal Loaded Pockets

Thanks guys. The Bark River looks nice and all, but its just a bit out of my price range...

8. MedicX

MedicX Loaded Pockets

As with the others, Bark River Knives are beautiful and look less tacticool. But as far as money and value goes, I would have to say ESEE Izula. You can't beat the warranty and the size. If you are trying to steer clear of "tacticool", then you could always wrap it in some loud colored paracord. LOL. Seriously though, I use an Izula everyday and I live here in South Florida in a very urban area. I don't feel it has ever raised any questionable eye. As far as rust goes, yes, you do have to watch out for that as Kripto mentioned. I personally have never had an issue though as I use mine all the time and love to rub a little Hoppes oil on them when bored. A patina will help prevent further damage as well. Good luck with your choice.

PS: I do have a nice Chris Reeve Nyala for sale in the Buy, Sell, Trade area.

9. kyguylal

kyguylal Loaded Pockets

I'm thinking the ESEE Izula. I like the look. How does it conceal? I go to school in the city and wouldn't want to draw any attention from it. Could I strap it vertically to the inside of my belt?

10. MedicX

MedicX Loaded Pockets

I keep my Izula in my front left pants pocket. I have carried it in my cargo pocket, front pocket, and also back pocket. It is a very concealable knife. I think it would be very easy to hide/conceal strapping it to your belt. On the inside of it? I dunno.

11. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Can you conceal OP? that might be the biggest question..

12. kyguylal

kyguylal Loaded Pockets

Heck, I believe so. Shout out to anyone who can comprehend Massachusetts' knife laws

13. edcer

edcer Loaded Pockets

I think you could,it would be illegal at my location so I haven't tried it.
    When I ordered mine from EM Gear, I also ordered the kit with the belt clip.There are holes in the sheath as well,I used them to attach the sheath to my pack straps with zip ties.

14. dovk0802

dovk0802 Loaded Pockets

My weekend work around the house-and consequently multiple Home Despot runs-blade is a CRKT Graham Razel.

15. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

You really need to look into this.... got my fingers crossed..

16. jkulysses

jkulysses Loaded Pockets

The Izula for sure! I love the Sting also but it's made in China or Taiwan don't remember which and that ruins it for me......

17. aedmband21

aedmband21 Loaded Pockets

Easy to conceal around your neck. That is if you're into that sorta thing.

18. popedandy

popedandy Loaded Pockets

I'd go for the Izula.

19. kyguylal

kyguylal Loaded Pockets

Thanks everyone! I decided on the Izula. Turns out the doubled edged sting isn't legal in Mass. I Emailed my chief of police. The Izula is perfectly legal

20. 00ChevyScott

00ChevyScott Loaded Pockets

The Izula is a really nice knife! I've been thinking about ordering some micarta scales for mine.