1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Help with choosing a 1911

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by airsickness, Jan 26, 2015.

1. airsickness

airsickness Loaded Pockets

I am in the market for a 1911 in 9 mm. I am trading in a Glock 26 and a small Ruger 380. Cost would be a second consideration for me. lightweight would be a huge advantage just looking for opinions as I have never shot one, or owned one.
    Thank you and advance!
    Kenny

2. Crippletron
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Crippletron Loaded Pockets

I just recently was in the same boat. I ended up with a colt combat commander xse. I went with the xse because I knew if I went with a base model I would end up putting the money into it the performance stuff anyway. I plan on keeping it and ccw'ing it so I went with a well known manufacturer. You probably get what you pay for with a 1911 so stick with the more well known companies ie Colt, Springfield, and kimber unless your looking to just get one to just beat up around the range.

3. Dorian
    • In Omnia Paratus

Dorian EDC Junkie!!!

Hi I do own several 9mm 1911's which one I would recommend depends on several factors.
    Cost/budget, size/fit, intended purpose/ possible backup uses ect...

Springfield's EMP & Range Officer are offered in 9mm with a lightweight frame, but are not the least expensive options available. The last thing I would say is "try before you buy" if at all possible! Find a range that will rent you one, or touch base with local shooting groups to see if anyone has a model you are interested in & would let you try it.

So what are you looking to do with it?
    It sounds like your looking for a carry gun, but no real requirements are given.
    Without some ideal what your looking for your question is a lot like what car should I buy.

Dorian

4. airsickness

You're right Dorian, it was a little bit vague, I'm looking to CCW. I'm not A range junkie I shoot once or twice a month. I have about 1000 to spend plus my trades. Looking for something relatively lightweight for a 1911, and something with a exceptional mechanical history

5. Crippletron
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Crippletron Loaded Pockets

Almost each store I went to raved about the Springfield emp but no one had them in stock in my area

6. Dorian
    • In Omnia Paratus

Dorian EDC Junkie!!!

Kenny no worries, your budget should get you just about any production gun you would like.
    I would start by looking at the different sizes available to you.
    A Sig Sauer P938 is the smallest of the 9mm guns very popular.
    Then the Springfield EMP will get you to the 3 inch guns.
    The Springfield Range Officer compact will get you in to the 4.25.
    All of these are in you budget range and are good guns.
    Once you find the size that you prefer, you can look at the the different manufactures that offer guns in that size.
    You could add a few different models depending on whether or not you are interested in a used option as well.

Dorian

7. Red33

Red33 Loaded Pockets

If I could ask the op, why a 9mm? I am a 9 fan, but not in the 1911 format. The one 1911 I own is a Kimber TLE Custom in 45 ACP. It's a great gun, but I mainly use it for target practice and IDPA, when I have the time. If you are going to carry a 1911, why not go with the 45?
    Just my experience, I have seen more problems with the 1911 format that are not in 45 ACP. Not what I want in a carry weapon.

TheMachinist likes this.
  8. airsickness

It's mostly because I have so much 9 mm ammo
    I know a lot of people highly value the 45 ACP.
    My fathers been a cop for over 25 years he loves his 45.
    I guess I should look at the weight difference between a loaded 9 mm and a loaded 45 and see how much different they carry.
    I'm not pooh-poohing either round i'm a fan of both

Crippletron likes this.
  9. Matthew03

Matthew03 Loaded Pockets

If you are going to consider the .45, you should also look at the .38 Super.

10. les snyder

les snyder Loaded Pockets

for what its worth... it is pretty difficult for any metal framed pistols to be lighter weight than a polymer framed pistol, holding the same round count magazine....

Dorian likes this.
  11. cjl1775

cjl1775 Loaded Pockets

I would stick to the .45 acp in in a 1911 format i own 3 in .45 and 2 in 9mm, 1911 in .45acp seems to get the best results. I have seen a number of 1911 in 9mm from good companies and guys who run them hard, they love them but are always fighting with those guns something seems to be having a problem more often then the .45 they have.

A4VC likes this.
  12. airsickness

All good replies & I appreciate the info, when I figure out what I'm going to do I will post a couple photos

13. nick50471

nick50471 Loaded Pockets

I have owned and carried a Para Slim Hawg for over ten years. I have shot nearly 10,000 rounds through it.

14. holygoat

holygoat Loaded Pockets

I have a fair amount of experience with 1911s, and carried my full-size Les Baer for years. For 9mm and AIWB, I narrowed my choice down to... a CZ P-01 or an HK P30. Higher capacity, lighter weight, and the CZ is both more accurate and more reliable than most 1911s, particularly smaller non-45 1911s.

As a 1911 guy, I'm very happy with the CZ. There's a lot of overlap.

15. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

There are many options available today in the 1911 platform; much more so than just 10 years ago. This is due to the popularity of this handgun design that has spawned a cottage industry.

I am a part-time pistolsmith. I haven't been as active as was 10 years ago. I have worked on more 1911s than any other. I have built dozens of 1911s from parts readily available for purchase.

My recommendation for a 9mm 1911 is Bill Wilson's Ultralight Combat Sentinel. It's expensive to acquire! I don't know Bill Wilson personally; never met or spoken to him. He certainly doesn't know me. I don't own equity or debt securities in his company. I have never owned that model 1911; however, I have fired the high-velocity, law-enforecment only Federal 9BPLE and the exquisitely-accurate 9BP 9mm with that model. Both functioned flawlessly in that model. I have also detailed-stripped that model and the individual components and fit & finish are first-rate. If I were to carry a 9mm 1911, it would be this model.

nick50471 likes this.
  16. eloha

eloha Empty Pockets

I'm gonna throw a vote in for the Dan Wesson guardian. Light weight frame and available in 9mm. It comes with the bobtail frame so it conceals very well. Look into it. It should be in your price range.

CAPTSHOE likes this.
  17. Wishoot

Wishoot Loaded Pockets

I probably wouldn't buy one in 9mm myself, but if I were, I'd take a close look at Rock Island Armory (RIA).

You may also want to take a look at a Browning Hi-Power. Granted it's not a 1911, but to me, the fit, feel and grip is very similar.

18. Reddog 245

Reddog 245 Empty Pockets

Smith and Wesson 1911PD has the Scandium frame, and feels like it is half the weight of the steel. Great for carry. I dont notice much difference firing either.

19. moshow9

moshow9 Loaded Pockets

I'm going to throw this out there, only because these are two that I have been looking at when I eventually pick up a 1911: CZ Dan Wesson ECO or STI International. Both manufacturers offer 9mm options. The ECO may or may not be out of your price range considering your 1000+trade in.

20. sarxsvt

sarxsvt Loaded Pockets

I got a full-size Range Officer a week or so ago, took it to the range this weekend. Its a wonderful gun. I'm sure the compact would be just as amazing. Great build quality, trigger isn't quite as nice as the TRP or Kimber Master Carry Custom I've got, but its crisp and clean.

If your looking to carry, the big adjustable sights on it probably wouldn't do for you.

If your looking for light but still most likely shootable, I checked out one of the new Ruger aluminum officer sized 1911s in Sportsman's warehouse the other day. Its crazy how much lighter it feels. Did not like the lock up at ALL on it however. Slide release was cut so deep it was incredibly difficult to work. I'm sure its nothing that couldn't be resolved with either an extended slide release or some polishing/oil, but ... still something to note. That model is .45 only at the moment as well.

Also as moshow9 suggested above, STI Spartan is an excellent budget 1911 that is officer sized and 9mm.