1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Help with attaching IWB to belt

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by SuzukiGS750EZ, Oct 4, 2020.

1. SuzukiGS750EZ

SuzukiGS750EZ Loaded Pockets

Hey guys. I wear 1.5" belts. I have the typical clip style IWB attachment. It's convenient when I get home to remove the holster, but it feels too sloppy and the holster moves around too much. I carry canted, sometimes it's so sloppy it cants too much and I print. What options do I have to tighten up that play?

2. kukla

kukla Loaded Pockets

What kind of holster? Single clip? Double clip?
    What size belt (is/are) the clip(s) made for?
    What kind of belt? Gun belt or ?

3. SOS24
    • +2 Supporter

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

If by typical clip you mean is a single clip with two holes at the top, then you could try replacing it with a DCC Monoblock clip. I have a holster with one and it holds real secure.
    [​IMG]

4. SuzukiGS750EZ

Yes, gun belt. Thick webbing, double layer. 1.5" the holsters i use have two slots to allow for a clip to be mounted and canted if wanted.
    [​IMG]

5. kukla

kukla Loaded Pockets

what holster do you have there?
    is the problem that there is too much play between the holster clip & the belt, as if the belt is loose in the clip?

6. SuzukiGS750EZ

It's almost as if the 1.5" clip is too big for the belt.

7. kukla

kukla Loaded Pockets

I worked as a technician & service manager in a Suzuki dealership when the GS750EZ came out!
    I always thought the black model with the red & orange stripes was one of the best looking bikes ever.
    I bought an XN85 the next year.

8. kukla

kukla Loaded Pockets

I'm not really quite understanding what you mean.
    Is it as though the belt isn't thick enough, or as though the belt isn't wide (tall) enough from top to bottom?
    What brand holster?

9. SuzukiGS750EZ

Hey! Same bike I had. I no longer own it but that was the color I had. An '82

10. SuzukiGS750EZ

Top to bottom. Either that or the gun moves my pants too much. Or both. I shouldn't have to crank my belt down to where it's cutting off circulation, correct? It seems to mostly be my full size holsters. One for my vp9, one for my m&p 2.0. Custom kydex holsters, same generic clip I posted above. The tulster holster i use with my shield is the only one of the 3 that sits awesome.

11. kukla

kukla Loaded Pockets

many of have a holster box full of rejects, for whatever reason.
    sometimes it's the product, sometimes it's our clothing, sometimes it's our body shape & size, sometimes it's any or all of the above.
    either you modify it somehow, with a different clip or molefoam, or just try a different product.
    the same thing doesn't work for everyone, and every gun.
    is your holster for the VP9 and the m&p 2.0 also a Tulster?

12. SuzukiGS750EZ

No, the M&P is a custom, the VP9 is from a company i can't remember the name of. They only make H&K holsters. The tulster is by far my favorite. If it weren't for the other two lights needing light bearing holsters, i would have bought a tulster for both.

I ended up ordering soft loops for my three holsters, we'll see how they do.

13. kukla

kukla Loaded Pockets

......good idea.

14. Ingramite

Ingramite Empty Pockets

I've been studying on this problem for decades myself.

An extended period of time like mine gives you lots of input from daily use and carry.
    You get to look at the wear pattern of your clothing as an example. How are your belt loops holding up? Is your belt rolling over under the weight of the pistol and holster?
    Things not readily apparent to either a casual carrier or observer. As Kukia points out, many holsters in my discard pile too. They looked perfect but just never worked in real life, for one reason or another.

So, just some observations offered for your consideration:
    The pistol, pants, holster and belt should all work together to reduce stress on each individual component of the successful set-up.
    The only way that I have been successful at carrying a service sized pistol is IWB. I've settled on that method at least.

Your body size/shape must also be in harmony.with the set-up you are trying out. With my gut, there is no sense burning up brain cells trying to figure out how to carry appendix style. Same thing with my tactical muffin top. If I tried to carry in a high rise IWB holster my sides would push out the butt of the pistol which is normally the hardest to conceal part of the pistol. Now you begin to understand how your bodies geometry really narrows the location of your holster. So it's way more than just your "reach and draw" during weapon deployment.

I understand that when you are standing there looking at a rack of holsters in plastic bags the very first thing to look at is the price tag. This kind of approach makes it seem like pure stupid luck when and if you do finally manage to accidentally put together a set-up that works and is comfortable to wear for a whole day. Mistakes are costly and frustrating. The wrong choice just adds to the holster graveyard.

A "good" gun belt is always mentioned in IWB holster discussions. For me that's meant a $30 Dollar Gun Belt.
    https://www.30dollargunbelt.com/products/smooth-ccw-full-grain-leather-gun-belt?variant=43666127566
    Is that "the perfect belt"? It has been for me but let me tell you, a belt that's 1/4" thick plays the devil with some belt clips.

So you got the "good" stiff belt that will support the weight and strain of your pistol and holster.
    Your body type is going to determine how much flexibility you have on holster placement.

Your concern about the security of the belt clip might have been grounded in the lack of a good belt for a foundation. I've always thought of the sole purpose of the belt clip is to keep the holster in your waistband when you draw the pistol. The actual securing of the pistol is accomplished by a snug fitting holder pressed against your body by the good belt. If the pistol is not a snug fit in the holster you can compensate to a small degree by just tightening your belt. Too much of this compensation however will result in being uncomfortable.

As an educated observer I've seen lots of folks hitching their giddy up walking through Wal*Mart or getting out of their car. Usually both hands drop to the sagging belt under the cover garment. Grab on and hitch it up. A simple test of your equipment is to evaluate how often you have to adjust on the fly.

I suspect that some of these considerations of mine might be looked at with some speculation if you are carrying light weight poly pistols. I wouldn't know because I'm carrying steel revolvers and 1911s mostly.

Finally, over these decades of CCW I've come to appreciate and enjoy good, well working gear. But more importantly, at least for me, the whole "gearing up" has become an enjoyable pastime for me. I have some beautiful pistols and leather that I've accumulated, all in the pursuit of carrying safely and comfortably.

15. SuzukiGS750EZ

The softloops are AWESOME. Definitely worth the $30 for my 3 holsters

chaosmagnet likes this.
  16. tacos3

tacos3 Loaded Pockets

From my experience daily carrying for 6 years, 2 things might help:

1. I use an Aliengear hybrid IWB with Crossbreed clips. The crossbreed clips are more sturdy than the ones that come with the Aliengear.
    2. I use a ratcheting 1.5” belt from Bladetech called the next belt. Stiff as hell and it ratchets if you want to tighten when you need a bit more.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • Sponsor - Home Craftsman
    • In Omnia Paratus

chaosmagnet Loaded Pockets

I've stopped using belt clips and started using soft loops to solve this problem. It's a bit more effort for taking them on and off, but they're a lot more stable in location.