1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Help with a watch choice

Discussion in 'Watches' started by lodi781, Sep 8, 2017.

1. lodi781

lodi781 Loaded Pockets

Hey all,

I haven't been around much lately ( understatement) but this is the place to ask this question. I'm looking for a new watch. I'm currently wearing a swiss army maverick, and love it. But it's taking a real beating and am looking for an absolute bombproof, waterproof, watch that can handle anything. I rock climb, skydive, mountain bike and am a firefighter as a profession, so i'm looking for something that I don't need to worry about.

Side note- not really a fan of the g-shocks, they just seem gaudy to me. Maybe there's a few that aren't. But any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by lodi781, Sep 9, 2017
    #1 lodi781, Sep 8, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
  2. jds1

jds1 Loaded Pockets

The Victorinox INOX is built like a tank!

[​IMG]

Jeff

My3kidsfather, azpops, 0880 and 2 others like this.
  3. lodi781

lodi781 Loaded Pockets

Is that the Diver? I like that one a lot. Wish it had some more features but it is beautiful!

4. karlito

karlito Loaded Pockets

Great recommendation; Inox is one tough watch. Good water resistance, but not a traditional "diver" style. Divers typically have a uni rotating bezel and very good lume (i'm unsure about the Inox's lume).
    Bullet proof with addioinal features such as timer, alarm, etc. G-Shock is your go to. Maybe a G-Shock for your adventures and something more to your style for downtime.

lodi781 and Moshe ben David like this.
  5. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

+1 on @karlito thoughts re G-shock. Tell you the truth I've never heard most G-shock described as gaudy; many have busy faces though I agree. For a basic streamlined G-shock look for something like a 5600; this is a rectangular design with roots back to the very original G-shock design. Probably the simplest of all!

For your outdoor rec and maybe also for work I'd think either a rangeman or a mudman would give expanded menu of features/capabilities together with the ruggedness. But if you want to stay just a bit simpler, perhaps the 6900 series? At one time supposedly was popular in the special forces community. Or so it is written!

My wrists are not that big so I do wear both a 5600 and a 6900; work well for me. I also urge you give serious thought to a version that is both solar and has time synch via the 'atomic' capability -- which means the watch will sync daily to an atomic clock. In North America that means it is syncing to an atomic clock in Colorado. My 6900 has these capabilities and I love it.

Hope this helps a bit.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

My3kidsfather, karlito and lodi781 like this.
  6. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

G Shocks are undoubtedly tough, but they have a certain look to them that isn't to everyones liking.

To look towards something slightly more traditional looking, I would point you to one of the Citizen divers (either the BN0000 or BN0150 would probably be the two choices at the moment). Both of those are 'divers' style watches, so a nice balance between an everyday watch and something more rugged, solar powered so you won't have to worry about changing batteries, and both are dive rated - meaning they have been through the ISO testing for SCUBA watches so definitely tough enough to handle rough use and water will not be an issue.

I have been wearing a BN0000 for about 7 years now, which has handled everything I have thrown at it...

For other options, I would honestly recommend just taking a look through the Citizen catalogue - there are a few different 'field watch' style options that would fit the bill, and my experience of the eco drive watches has been pretty superb so far.

My3kidsfather and lodi781 like this.
  7. lodi781

lodi781 Loaded Pockets

Thanks all for the replies!

Gaudy may not have been the right term. I was looking at the g-shock last night. None of them are waterproof, just resistant to 200m. The reason I am looking for waterproof, is the watch before my maverick, ( which was also a swiss army) died because I spent a week in and out of the ocean in Oahu. I don't want to have to worry about going in the ocean and having the salt water ruin a $300 + watch. Although I am realizing that g-shock fits every other box I want checked. So, maybe I keep the maverick for going out and the G for everything else.

8. karlito

karlito Loaded Pockets

No watch is "waterproof" only water "resistant" to various degrees. I do believe that manufacturers can no longer state waterproof only resistance to X depth. If you will be in and out of the water a lot, have the gaskets changed after each battery change (another reason to go solar) & your watch water pressure tested.

9. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

You actually won't be able to find any new watches labelled as 'waterproof' - I believe this is a legal thing stemming from litigation back in the 60's and the exact definitions of 'water proof' and 'water resistant'.

What you are looking for instead is the depth rating given to the watch - any 'waterproof' watches will be noted as 'water resistant' instead with a depth (normally in meters) which tells you what depth of water the watch has been designed to withstand. As a general rule of thumb, I would consider anything noted as 30 or 50m (or just 'water resistant', without a depth rating) probably won't be suitable for serious use in the water, anything rated to 100m or above I would have no worries about.

So if you see a G Shock rated as 'water resistant 200m', you have absolutely nothing to worry about and are looking at a very rugged watch that is designed to essentially be waterproof (as most people would use the term), and will be suitable for pretty much any water activities bar SCUBA diving (though the jury may still be out on the aesthetics).

I would still be careful with salt water as it is notoriously corrosive, so if you are wearing a watch in the sea, it is worth remembering to give it a rinse with fresh water afterwards to keep it clean, but other than that I wouldn't really worry about anything noted as 'water resistant 100m' or above.

As a side note, even watches that go through the ISO testing to be certified as suitable for SCUBA use are not labelled as 'water proof' - instead they are noted as 'divers' with a depth rating.

#9 Narcosynthesis, Sep 9, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
  10. lodi781

lodi781 Loaded Pockets

So I went to the shop that services my watches and asked about the shock. He actually recommended it for my personal situation. Come monday i'm putting in an order for this;

[​IMG]

11. HVACn00b

HVACn00b Loaded Pockets

What model is that beauty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. lodi781

lodi781 Loaded Pockets

it's the GSW2000. It's more centered for pilots. It has a GPS bluetooth tracker that you can set your flight path. I can use it when i'm wingsiuting to see my course. Also, i plan to go for my private pilot license in oct so I figured of the bunch it would make the best choice. The other frontrunner was the mud master. Much less and has therm\barometer functions, which I would like, but the bluetooth tracking function ( can be used for long hikes as well) and solar recharge sold me on this one.

My3kidsfather, Water-Rat and HVACn00b like this.
  13. karlito

karlito Loaded Pockets

GPW2000 VERY nice choice.

My jaw just dropped when I read wingsuiting; my fantasy! Tell me that you are skydiving with the wingsuit and not base / proxcimity flying - that is really pushing it. And you are going for your private pilot license? I envy you my friend. Unfortunately I am a little lacking in funds, time, youth, and serious motivation. Be safe.

My3kidsfather and Water-Rat like this.
  14. lodi781

lodi781 Loaded Pockets

Haha, yes, I skydive. After getting in the game, I realized proxy flying is asking for it. I've never even BASE jumped, and most likely never will. And yes, I am going for my private pilots licensce. I'm 42 now, but I stayed single and when all my friends were buying houses to keep up with the joneses, I bought a little 700 sqft condo and my mortgage is less than most people's rent. I always chose to spend my money on experiences, not things. I don't even own a television.

karlito, Glock Block and HVACn00b like this.
  15. Glock Block

Glock Block Loaded Pockets

You sir, need a Marathon in your life.

https://www.google.com/search?q=marathon+watches&sa=X&rlz=1C9BKJA_enUS724US725&hl=en-US&biw=768&bih=909&tbs=cat:201,vw:g,init_ar:SgVKAwjJAQ%3D%3D,ss:44&tbm=shop&prmd=sivn&srpd=15548377600112940883&prds=epd:5826045957064301721,cdl:1,cid:15622311286197575573&ved=0ahUKEwjd7fSx55vWAhWo6oMKHW94AgoQgTYI-gY

I personally know several guys who are in the special forces of US military (Navy Seal, Army Ranger, Marine Force Recon, etc) and Marathon watches of various models are popular within that community. When I am with them and they invite another military buddy to come along I always look at what's on their wrist. Don't get me wrong, Gshocks are commonplace there too. Speaks for a watch when those guys wear them in my eyes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

16. stockae92

stockae92 Loaded Pockets

For "seeing" your course, I think an actual GPS watch may do a better job. As far as I know, the GPW2000 will "log your locations, then connect the 2 dots with a straight line". But a GPS watch would plot more dots and actually draw a route for you.

I don't know if Garmin Fenix 3 / 5 / 5x actually has an app for sky diving though.

17. lodi781

lodi781 Loaded Pockets

I think some do. This one needs you to set waypoints. It's fine. I have other tools I can use when jumping. It fits every other need I have. Just put in the order, should be here in a few days!

18. Shuutr

Shuutr Loaded Pockets

I was going to suggest that very watch. Nice choice.

I am a fan of solar analog G-Shocks. And bonus points for a combi-bracelet or multiband 6 function.
    GW-A1000fc
    [​IMG]

If not a gshock then I was going to suggest a citizen eco-drive BN-0151

[​IMG]

Or its newest cousin the BN-0191
    [​IMG]

Like they said before, nothing is water proof and a water resistant watch is only as resistant as its gaskets.

azpops, Moshe ben David and lodi781 like this.