1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Help: Smoothing the Dragonfly

Discussion in 'Knives' started by batteur, Nov 5, 2013.

1. batteur
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

batteur Loaded Pockets

Today I was dumb enough to open the pivot to take the blade out of the handle of my Dragonfly. I wanted to clean and lube it. But now that I screwed it back together it’s probably too tight because it doesn't open and close as smooth as before. When closing the blade snapped into the handle before, now it doesn’t. Looks like I screwed it up (pun intended).
    The torx screw head is on one side, the other side has nothing to insert a screwdriver. When I try to loosen the screw it just spins but doesn’t open. How can I loosen it up again?
    Additionally, IIRC the screw had and the opposite non-screw head were protruding the same from the handle, now the non-screw head is inset and the screw head protrudes noticeable more.

2. batteur
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

batteur Loaded Pockets

Took pictures of the protruding heads.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Vesp
    • In Omnia Paratus

Vesp Loaded Pockets

Looks like you might have put the pivot screw on the wrong side. I'm not at home to compare it with my dragonfly's. But I think that might be the case..
    Don't know how easy it will be to loosen up. One of the handle scales should have a small straight line in the pivot hole to lock the "nut" on the pivot screw.

ThatsMyKnife likes this.
  4. rista

rista Loaded Pockets

:( bad luck, I think you can face the pivot either way, but if the whole pivot spins when you try to tighten or lose it you probably broke the plastic tab (very small) that is suppose to hold it in place(prevent spinning), try holding it in place with with some sort of softer (grippy) rubber and then unscrewing the torx head

5. Xiii
    • In Omnia Paratus

Xiii Loaded Pockets

I think you have stuffed it so you may as well send it to me.;):D
    Xiii

Rattlecan likes this.
  6. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips Loaded Pockets

Rista's suggestion sounds solid, try a rubber eraser. Sounds to me like that's a Chicago screw and the FRN has been warped/rounded by over tightening or the pivot being forced in, If you can't get it apart try contacting Spyderco.

7. AK Adventurer

AK Adventurer Ice, Ice, Tigre

Try closing the blade, and then pressing the blade further into the handle; the blade will pivot on its 'kick' on the tang, and 'jam'/add tension to the pivot, and should grip and hold the pivot enough to allow you to turn the screw.

Good luck!

8. riot

riot Loaded Pockets

I've had this problem before and used one of those rubber jar openers to hold one side while I turn the other.

Sent from my HTC Droid DNA using Tapatalk!

9. batteur
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

batteur Loaded Pockets

The plain side of the screw is sitting deep in the handle, so it’s hard to reach with the rubber. But I’ll try another rubber next.

I sent a message to Spyderco’s customer service, they replied this:
    So if I understand it correctly I could get it repaired for $25 plus my shipping cost to them. But I don’t have checks (we don’t use them in Germany anymore. I don’t know anybody who has ever seen one other than these extra large charity show checks), I don’t want to send cash (in fact AFAIK it’s forbidden here), and I have no idea how to send a money order (and I don’t have a credit card). Here we’re used to wire transfer, debit cards and cash, and I could send money by Paypal.
    Alternatively I could sell the DF to rista who wants to put new scales on it. I could then buy a new one. Or once I get the screw to open I could try new scales myself and tell rista where I got mine. ;)
    Anyway, thanks so far for all answers! :)

rista likes this.
  10. BklynBoy

BklynBoy Loaded Pockets

This was a timely caution for me. It appears to me that you reversed the polarity of the screws. I got my used Dragonfly a couple of days ago. The only downside is that it too is a bit stiff to open. I was thinking of getting a set of small Torx bits, opening it up, cleaning it and then treating it with Frog Lube.

11. batteur
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

batteur Loaded Pockets

Yep, looks like the screws were meant to be put in the other way round. But it didn’t occur to me, and then I thought they’re just not screwing smooth. That’s when apparently I applied too much force and damaged it.