1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Help, please, finding a food container...

Discussion in 'Other Carrying Devices' started by Blackheart, Apr 5, 2019.

1. Blackheart

Blackheart Loaded Pockets

I'm having a tough time finding a leak proof container for taking soups to work in my lunch tote that won't leave the rest of my lunch soggy. Last two containers I tried were Rubbermaid. One was a snap lid bowl that the center of the lid completely separated from the rim in the microwave and fell into my soup. Nice. The other was a rectangular 3.2 cup Brilliance "guaranteed leak proof" container that was only leak proof for the first few times through the nuker.

Any suggestions for a bowl-shaped container with a truly secure lid that will also hold up to the heat from microwaving? The 24+ fl. oz. size is what works best for me. Plastic is okay, but glass or ceramic would be nice. Seems like glass would be harder to seal, though. Maybe something with a screw top?

Last edited by Blackheart, Apr 5, 2019
    #1 Blackheart, Apr 5, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
  2. Ren

Ren Loaded Pockets

Kilner screw top jar? Obviously metal lid and rubber gasket would have to be remove before microwaving.

3. Blackheart

It would be nice if the bowl/jar had a lid that I could leave on (but loose) in the nuker so I wasn't wasting plastic wrap to keep the soup covered when heating. I'm trying to cut down on my use of non-recyclable plastic. At home, I've got an assortment of stretchy silicone lids that I use for covering bowls in the fridge.

Side note: Diced potatoes explode for some reason when nuked in liquid.

Last edited by Blackheart, Apr 5, 2019
    #3 Blackheart, Apr 5, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
  4. Treya

Treya Loaded Pockets

I have a small soup thermos, if you heat it at home and take it to work it will stay hot. Example pics should come up if you search something like:
    Stainless King Vacuum Insulated Food Jar with Spoon 470ml

5. Hook

Hook Loaded Pockets

Blackheart likes this.
  6. A.B.

A.B. Loaded Pockets

As stated above, buy a thermos. I use a Rubytec stainles steel, vacuum walled one. Works great. Just bring a mug or bowl with you. [​IMG]

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G950F met Tapatalk

garza, Moshe ben David and Blackheart like this.
  7. Blackheart

Treya and A.B. like this.
  8. Ren

Ren Loaded Pockets

Talk of food jars reminded me of Zojirushi

https://www.zojirushi.com/

They do make jars with plastic bowls... but I think the only liquid tight bowl is the soup, which tend to be rather tiny.

ran23 and Blackheart like this.
  9. Coop

Coop Loaded Pockets

My wife confiscated my Sigg Metro Mug thermos for this purpose. She pre-heats it by filling it with hot water while heating her soup at home. Once the soup is hot, she pours out the water and puts in the soup. Still hot enough to burn her mouth on 5-6 hours later.

Treya, Moshe ben David and Blackheart like this.
  10. Blackheart

I did pick up a 24oz. Thermos food jar. Saved around 8 bucks by buying "used" off Amazon. All the sticky labels still attached, instructions sheet inside, no visible evidence that anyone had ever done anything with it besides looking at it and deciding that it wasn't what they were expecting.

Now I need to shop around for a nice, ceramic bowl to keep at work. Think I'll visit the Salvation Army store this evening.

Pre-heating is a good idea. I'll sometimes do that with my 1 qt. coffee Thermos.

I'll see about posting a photo maybe tomorrow.

#10 Blackheart, Apr 11, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
    Treya likes this.
  11. neo71665

neo71665 Loaded Pockets

I know it aint a bowl but hard to make the old stanley food jar leak, mine is older than I am and still kicking.

#11 neo71665, Apr 11, 2019
    Last edited: May 1, 2019
  12. Blackheart

[​IMG]

Huh. How did I not find that while searching for a 24oz. food jar? It would have matched my battle-scarred, roughly 35 year old, 1 qt. Stanley coffee carrier.

Link to the rest of the Stanley food jar line:

https://www.stanley-pmi.com/shop/food-jars-storage/

The "classic" lunch box is kinda' cool in a retro sort of way, and check out the spoon holster on the 18oz. version.

#12 Blackheart, Apr 11, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
    neo71665 and Moshe ben David like this.
  13. comma8 comma1

comma8 comma1 Loaded Pockets

Lock & Lock are also a good option. Pretty sure they r microwave safe. They also make them in glass with a plastic lid in all sorts of shapes and sizes.

YankeeHotelFoxtrot likes this.
  14. Blackheart

Just a follow up...

Here's what I ended up with:

[​IMG]

For some reason, I got it into my head that I need the 24oz. size and I couldn't convince myself otherwise, so I went with the Thermos Food Jar on the right. Turns out, 16oz. is just right. The 24oz. Thermos couldn't keep 16oz. hot for very long (too much surface area to lose heat through) and it was a bit large for my lunch bag anyway (shown in the background). I went with a 16oz. Simple Modern Food Jar, on the left, that has a seal in the lid that's easily removed for washing. It does pretty well with temperature.

I pre-heat the bottle with hot water while I'm warming up my soup/stew in the nuker. I pack my lunch at around 6am, and my lunch break is usually at 11:30am, so we're looking at 5-1/2 hours. I think most bottle makers claim their product will keep foods hot for 5 hours. So long as I pre-heat, my lunch is nice and toasty. The bowl-of-choice is a 18oz. Corning Grab-It from the resale shop, works pretty well.

Thanks to all for your suggestions, I'm a happy luncher now.

ran23 and Moshe ben David like this.
  15. os2soliz

os2soliz Empty Pockets

I ended up getting a Sistema large cup on clearance and leaving it at my desk. Combine that with my Snowpeak spork from REI and it works well no matter what. Just some ideas if you need to change it up. Congrats on finding something that works for you.

TNRonin, ran23 and Blackheart like this.
  16. Blackheart

Whoa, those Sistema bowls look really nice. I might have to give one a try.

The one big advantage that the "thermos" has is that I don't have to wait in line for the microwave (at the other end of the building).

Google search for Sistema led me to Amazon (of course), which put up some "cool touch bowl" suggestions which looked interesting, also.

Last edited by Blackheart, May 22, 2019
    #16 Blackheart, May 22, 2019
    Last edited: May 22, 2019
  17. HeadOffice

HeadOffice Loaded Pockets

Perhaps it was my poor background but when I was young I vowed to make enough money so I would never have to take lunch to work.

It could have been the lunches my mother made as her culinary skills were depleted by the time I came around - I thought she was trying to kill me three times a day ( at meal times).

Anyhow, the thought of bringing food containers to work makes me physically nauseous. However, quite happy to bring food containers out on bush walks and camping trips. Funny how the brain works.

Blackheart and ran23 like this.
  18. Blackheart

I sometimes envy people that work in an urban area where they can just walk down the block to one of a number of restaurants for lunch. Where I work, it's a half-hour round trip to get anywhere. That's just time spent driving, not dining. I do it occasionally, whenever I'm too lazy to pack a lunch or when I just need something different. We have a cafeteria at work, but I gave up on them years ago, around the third time I got sick from eating there.

Oh, and dining out every day requires that you have at least one other person to go with you. Eat alone at a restaurant and you will get the worst possible service. Trust me on this.

Last edited by Blackheart, May 22, 2019
    #18 Blackheart, May 22, 2019
    Last edited: May 22, 2019
    neo71665 and ran23 like this.
  19. TNRonin

TNRonin Loaded Pockets

This thread led me to the sistema stuff. I've got a bunch on order. Salad bowl and the noodle bowl have my money at the moment. They should be here tomorrow. Wally world carries sistema containers also.

Sent from my SM-T280 using Tapatalk

ran23 likes this.
  20. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

I purchased several RTIC food stainless steel food jars in 12 oz, 17 oz and 25 oz sizes with each jar costing less than $10 each. The jars are not listed on the site but a google search brings up the page for the jars.