1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Help on how to carry business casual clothes in a backpack

Discussion in 'Where, When, & How Do We Carry All This Stuff?' started by Rossko, Mar 6, 2010.

1. Rossko

Rossko Loaded Pockets

Hi all,

I've recently been walking to work to get a change of scenery and fit a little bit more exercise in the day. The problem I'm having is getting my clothes to make it safely work. I would walk to work in what I wear all day, which is dress pants and a dress shirt, but with the rainy weather, I fear they wouldn't make it. I've got a couple of shirts and one pair of pants that I can fold up and put in a backpack that make it there without coming out all wrinkled. But this results in me only being able to walk a couple of days of the week. Does anyone have any advice on how to pull this off with the rest of my business casual clothing? I use a Level 3 Assault backpack shown here http://www.cheaperthandirt.net/PACK121-1.html

2. Gorbag

Gorbag Loaded Pockets

Maybe a vacuum storage bag? Possibly you might want to include a cut piece of cardboard or the like in the bag as a stiffener. Depends on how much effort you want to put in each night getting ready for the next day, I would think.

3. Flight-ER-Doc

Flight-ER-Doc Loaded Pockets

4. Gorbag

Gorbag Loaded Pockets

Oh, I forgot about those! I have one somewhere from when I had to wear dress clothes to work. They work well. Good call, Doc. :)

5. Municipal_Jedi

Municipal_Jedi Loaded Pockets

6. dhfu624

dhfu624 Loaded Pockets

I also agree that these are great for keeping business clothes compact and relatively wrinkle-free.

Another alternative depends on your situation at work -- if you have an office or locker at work, you can drop off your business clothes at work when you drive into work at the beginning of the week, walk to/from work during the week, and then pack them home at the end of the week. I have several friends that cycle to work and they do this routinely.

7. morrowsmowers

morrowsmowers Empty Pockets

8. Rossko

Rossko Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the ideas guys. I was afraid of having to bring in extra clothes on Monday as that requires a little bit extra planning aside from having to lug around clothes on a hanger, but that idea did cross my mind. I like the pack it folder is more what I'm looking for. I don't mind if they don't come out perfect, I don't iron my clothes anyways. But as long as it doesn't look like it was shoved into a backpack. I'm going to take some measurements on my bagspace when I get home to see if it would fit. I also love the One Night Stand idea, although more for weekend trips rather than this idea.

9. DragonRider

DragonRider Loaded Pockets

Eagle Creek is good, but by default leave an extra set of clothes at work nicely folded, rotate the clothes once a month or when you do drive in due to weather. I keep mine in 2 vertical folders, 2 inch capcity, in plastic bags in the back of one of my file cabinet drawers.

10. NAdams65

NAdams65 Empty Pockets

I've had pretty good luck folding my clothes and the rolling them up.....if neatly rolled, they seem to stay somewhat wrinkle-free.

The idea to stage a few clean outfits at work is a good one. I do this at the club where I play golf.....if I'm smelling funky after a round it' nice to have a shower and put on a change of clothes.

Nate

11. 1holegrouper

1holegrouper Loaded Pockets

12. Apie

Apie Loaded Pockets

I use the rolling technique as well, works like a charm with my no wrinkle Van Heusen work shirts.

13. Exmasonite

Exmasonite Loaded Pockets

i have the duluth overnight roll up bag... it's awesome for shirts. Only problem i run into is that my trousers/slacks are too long for the bag. I'm 5'11" and wear a 32 inseam... bag must be like 30 inches long or something, have to fold or roll the legs. but aside from that, does a great job of keeping clothes looking good. the side shoe bag and toiletries kit are nice, too.

14. Rossko

Rossko Loaded Pockets

I've been using the folding method linked by 1holegrouper. Thanks for that link. It's a bit different with dress shirts as I have to fold them around the collar and I certainly don't fold them as much as the guy suggests. But I do take a large ziplock back and use that to keep it in place, making sure all the air is out of the bag before sealing it. The L3 assault backpack I use (linked in my original post) is much more of a 'flat stuff' kind of backpack so this method works perfect for me when I keep it nice and flat in the bag. I think I'd invest in the overnight bag if I foresee myself needing something better, but for the time, this is working. My clothes come out a bit wrinkled where I folded them (I am by no means an expert at folding, but I will get better with time), but I always buy no-iron shirts, so by the time anyone else rolls into the office I'm looking like I would on any other day.