1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Help on deciding which multitool for keychain.

Discussion in 'Keychain Tools' started by Raven927, Feb 23, 2014.

1. bystander

bystander Loaded Pockets

My vote goes to the Micra, if u dun mind the size and weight.

2. Ramrod87

Ramrod87 Loaded Pockets

I too carry the leatherman micra with scissors. I love em. Use almost every day.

indigo likes this.
  3. CUTLERY_KID

CUTLERY_KID Loaded Pockets

Another vote for the LT ps4. I don't own one right now, but I borrowed one from a friend and used for about 2 weeks. I'm really happy with it, and am gonna buy one when I release the choke hold on my wallet. Micra is a good tool too. It all depends on what you'd use more; scissors, or pliers?

4. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

Yikes... a bit portly for keychain duty... unless your keychain doubles as a defensive flail. :eek:

ATB,
    Sam

5. Southpaw

Southpaw EDC Junkie!!!!!

If u want something just a wee bit lighter, look at the Vic Rambler. It has scissors, screwdriver, and a can opener in a small package

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MrOG likes this.
  6. Sriracha

Sriracha Loaded Pockets

Its not that much larger than the Victorinox minichamp, and IMHO the tool selection is superior. All the tools are fractionally larger making them more useful. The scissors are serrated, which is not good for fingernails, but good for everything else. They are amazing. The pry tool/ screwdriver/ opener is double thick and tough as nails. It has an eyeglass screwdriver and an awl. The awl needs a few minutes with some assorted grits of sandpaper, but is a wicked little tool. I don't need a orange peeler or a second blade. I almost always carry a larger knife. For me tools are more important than blades in this situation. It allows me to carry an Alox Cadet without the fear of not having scissors or eyeglass screwdriver (also known as "I knew I should have brought the Climber" syndrome). I actually reground the file on my Cadet so I can have an awl\ scraper blade before I bought the Wenger. Now I have to buy an unmolested Cadet. ;)

Its the best non-plier keychain tool out there. The only thing that could make it better is a true Victorinox version.

MrOG likes this.
  7. Sriracha

Sriracha Loaded Pockets

8. Sriracha

Sriracha Loaded Pockets

Woo hoo! I just figured how to use flicker with my tablet! So as you can see above, the Wenger is sitting next to a Micra and 3 Vic classics. Its lighter than the Micra.

9. garethmk1

garethmk1 Loaded Pockets

Again ... LM PS4 ... Quality little tool

10. Daz

Daz Loaded Pockets

I personally love the LM Micra. Scissors are by far my most used tool, and I've subconsciously perfected a wrist flick that deploys them in a heartbeat: it's much easier to just open the tool than it is to find the nailnick on a Vic or the PS4. Internal tools are also nice, as it protects them from pocket fluff, though it does mean they're more difficult to get at. I do also have a Spyderco Honeybee on my keys for an easy-access mini knife though: bulk isn't much of an issue for me.

The PS4 is a very nice tool, but I didn't use the pliers often enough to justify it compared to the others. If pliers are your thing, it's excellent.

I used the Vic Minichamp for a long time. It does pack an excellent amount into a small package, though not all the tools are useful. Given it's fairly cheap, it's a nice starting tool. It was only the craving for bulkier scissors and a bigger blade that drew me away from it.

11. l_gong

l_gong Loaded Pockets

I've used LM Micra, PS4 and Gerber Dime but it's too bulky for keychain carry. So my vote goes to Victorinox Rambler or Minichamp (if you want an extra blade).

12. figuy

figuy Loaded Pockets

The Mini Champ is overkill IMO. The Manager has everything I want on my keychain and really nothing more.

MrOG likes this.
  13. PPCApache
    • In Omnia Paratus

PPCApache Banned

I finally settled my EDC keychain, I find the LM PS4 is prefect balance and goes well with my Cold Steel Micro Recon 1 and other tools I have on it, the TEC P - 7 Suspension Clip takes all the weight and it fits perfectly in my front left Pocket.

[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Brtsmpsn and eddie1115 like this.
  14. Rasthor

Rasthor Loaded Pockets

Leatherman Style CS and a Swiss Tech ST5002 6-in-1 SS Multi-Tool. And that is a real US Govt. P38 can opener from a box of C Rations from back in the '70's with a small piece of Gorilla tape to keep it from sticking me.

[​IMG]

Brtsmpsn likes this.
  15. davem

davem Loaded Pockets

I own and have carried on my keychain a Buck 350 mini-tool, a Gerber Dime, a Gerber Solstice, a Leatherman Mini-Tool, Leatherman Micra, Leatherman P4, and a Leatherman PS4, a Sebertool M3 and a Sebertool M4, a SOG Crossgrip, and a Swiss+Tech Micro-Plus and a Swiss+Tech Micro-Max.

By far the Coolest gaget factor goes to the Leatherman Mini-Tool for its extraordinary extendable handles. It's the only micro-sized multi-pliers that converts into a full-sized pair of pliers. I can't imagine why Leatherman discontinued this tool.

For me though, EDC comes down to maximum functionality in a minimum form factor, and that's why I EDC the Serbertool M3. It is well made and the smallest folding pliers with the best form factor.

Brtsmpsn likes this.
  16. poe47

poe47 Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]I'm using the Gerber Curve. Surprisingly durable for its intended use.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

MrOG and Brtsmpsn like this.
  17. mizedog

mizedog Loaded Pockets

You mentioned the Compact as an option. That's a 91mm knife and my be a little large, but does have the scissors. Another option would be Vic's 74mm (Executive) or the old 84mm knives like the Waiter (no scissors). I have a 74mm Money Clip, and an old Waiter. Both are light and I think 84mm would be exceptable, but on the long side. I have an Executive ordered (same size as the Money Clip, but with more tools, no clip). I've always carried the Classics but, the blade isn't long enough to cut food after over-heating in the microwave at work. Overheated, touch steak overwhelms the disposable plastic knives at work. The Classic would put my fingers in steak sauce. The Money Clip does great! I tested an like the combo tools on the Waiter, and the Wenger 85mm Picnic. The both open cans easily and I paid about $4 each for used ones on line. Keep in mind that some old 84mm econo scales don't have tweezers and toothpick.I can't stop picking up the Wenger. Classy, great fit and finish, light, sharp, and disappears in the pocket. Makes me want more Wengers.

Last edited by mizedog, Apr 1, 2014
  18. mizedog

mizedog Loaded Pockets

Just for perspective, I threw my 85mm Wenger on the keychain. Its not nearly as versatile as others, but isn't too large on the keychain.[​IMG]

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk 2

19. Ironside

Ironside Loaded Pockets

SAK Rambler or Manager by far. These are the ultimate keychain tools due to 58mm size.
    The Rambler and Manager have the same tools but Manager has a pen instead of a toothpick ( tools are scissors, file, flat head driver Phillips drive, cap lifter, wire stripper, blade, tweezers, toothpick or pen)
    This is my most minimal carry on a keychain - a Manager and an Atom. I lost this setup but replaced it entirely because it was so useful.
    [​IMG]

I have to say I also like the utilty of a Dime plus Shard or PS4 plus Shard but with significantly more size compared with these SAKs.

peak_oil and jcr like this.
  20. Ironside

Ironside Loaded Pockets

Executive gets the most pocket time for me besides the Manager. I like the Executive so much I gotta a vintage Director same tools steel scales.
    I get replacement scales with tweezer and toothpick in different materials and 91 and 84mm sizes. Recently I've been refurbing a few vintage SAKs buying them used (SO cheap) or fixing up my old ones.