1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Help needed choosing a new watch!

Discussion in 'Watches' started by Werewolf32, Jan 18, 2011.

1. Werewolf32

Werewolf32 Loaded Pockets

I've been thinking about getting myself a new watch and thought some of you might have some good suggestions.

I'm basically after something analogue, black and a little tacticool! I've been having a look at a couple of the Timex Expedition watches but was wondering if anyone knew of similar styled watches by other companies.*

The ones I've been looking at are:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

2. photomic

photomic Loaded Pockets

Just the first ones that I remember at the moment:

Casio G-shock GW3000:
    [​IMG]

Seiko SNDA65
    [​IMG]

Seiko Power Design chrono SBPP005:
    [​IMG]

Wenger Commando Chrono:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

3. Werewolf32

Thanks for the suggestions, photomic, I'll be checking them out!

4. MoreToasties

MoreToasties Loaded Pockets

What about a Lum-Tec? A bit more pricey, but great quality and killer looks.

5. UnivTex34

UnivTex34 Loaded Pockets

After this post, I bought this watch in orange, freaking love it..... thanks for the recommendation....

6. Werewolf32

Thanks for the suggestion. They look like nice watches, especially the leather banded models, but not really in my price range and also not quite what I'm looking for I think. I guess I'm after an analogue watch to keep my G-Shock 2900F company (great watch BTW), which is my EDC beater watch, but probably a bit slimmer if possible.

Thanks again for the reply though.

7. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

My $55 Timex Expedition has displayed more quality than watches I have owned that cost over 8x as much.

Still, seriously consider the Seiko models mentioned above. Tacti-cool, but can blend in for more formal events if needed.

8. black71label

black71label Loaded Pockets

9. Werewolf32

I have their BM8180-03E Eco-Drive watch and I love it. I didn't like the strap though, so I put a leather one on instead:

[​IMG]

(Sorry for the glare off the lens, I don't have great lighting for photos where I am!)

I think it's a great watch for the money!

10. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Just a quick heads-up . . . Kinetic watches don't work as well in reality as they do on paper. I have heard that Seiko makes the best kinetics out there. But that's like picking a place to eat that has the fewest reported cases of food poisoning in the city. "Hey, only 22 at this place. Let's eat there."

Mine was a Hamilton Kinetic a few years back. Reserve was practically non-existant. Watch had to be constantly adjusted. Kept stopping. Got to the point where I felt like an idiot shaking my wrist back & forth in public just to try to charge up the watch. Thankfully I was able to return it for a full refund. (Hamiltons aren't cheap.)

Just this past Christmas, I got a Citizen BM7080-03E model. Eco-Drive is fantastic! Incredibly accurate, tough, reliable. No stoppages, no slow downs. Just works incredibly well. Eco-Drive technology is ridiculously underrated in the watch community. Best part is, I can leave it on the window sil before going to bed in order to increase the reserve. (6 months when fully charged up.) I was off for a few days a little while back. Didn't wear the watch for over a week, didn't charge it up at all during that time. Put it on after a week, it was just fine. No adjusting needed. It kept perfect time that whole week in darkness.

With a kinetic, it's like getting the worst of both worlds. The disadvantages of a quartz watch along with the disadvantages of an automatic. For something that relies on physical movement to power the watch, you're better off getting an automatic; and enjoying the advantages that come with not having to service the watch after just a handful of years.

Citizen Eco-Drive is a better bet.