1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Help?? Need a new--useful--backpack

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by Rori Montoya, May 5, 2016.

1. Rori Montoya

Rori Montoya Loaded Pockets

Hi, y'all. I need help with finding a backpack. It just shouldn't be this hard!

I've had: Tom Bihn Synapse 19--too small, too many pockets, also, for a pack of that price range, I think it should have had strap keepers.
    Mountain HardWear Agami--good size, miserably uncomfortable shoulder straps
    The North Face Women's Recon--again, miserably uncomfortable shoulder straps, and it says 31L but there's no way. It's just too small for what I need to carry to work every day.

What I carry: 1L Nalgene, a travel coffee mug, a Moleskine, 2 pen bags (I'm a teacher, don't judge), my lunch, an "everything" bag (bandaids, Tums, Advil, girl stuff, etc.), my Kindle or Nook, sometimes my iPad Mini, a FN size leather notebook, my wallet, a small FAK, 2 sets of keys, a jacket.
    Sometimes, I need to carry more, like books for my uni classes, stuff I need to take to work (papers to grade etc.).

I really need it to be 30ish L--and not a fake, compartmentalized 30L either--I actually need all 30L. Decent straps that will allow me to carry a fairly heavy load. Hard wear--I demand a lot from my bags, and for goodness sake, I think it should at least surpass Vera Bradley quality, which is the brand of tote bags I use. I'd prefer to have external water bottle pockets in case my bottle or my travel mug leak.

Thoughts? TIA!

2. thegut

thegut Loaded Pockets

Three suggestions:

Kelty Map 3500 (Tried and true)
    Direct Action Ghost (I personally love this pack)
    Triple Aught Design Fast EDC (I don't own this, but seems to have what you are looking for)

dml24 and Rori Montoya like this.
  3. Jordan Smeenge

Jordan Smeenge Loaded Pockets

I second the Triple aught design EDC, the new generation seems to fit your bill well along with a compartment for electronics that is water proof in case a bottle leaks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rori Montoya likes this.
  4. mbakes

mbakes Loaded Pockets

A little below your specs at 27L, the Alphaoneniner Evade is about as good an edc bag as I have come across.

Spyke and Rori Montoya like this.
  5. Zangetsu74

Zangetsu74 Loaded Pockets

5.11 Covrt backpack ?
    It has a big main compartment.
    I was astonished on how much stuff I could put in it :confused:

Rori Montoya likes this.
  6. Viper101

Viper101 Loaded Pockets

I'm a teacher as well and picked up a Kelty Redtail last year and like it. Not a ton of organization, but cavernous, with double bottle holders. The bladder holder is good to hold papers to grade and it has too bladder hooks up top I plan to hang some pouches from.

Last edited by Viper101, May 22, 2016
    Rori Montoya likes this.
  7. 62Tele

62Tele Loaded Pockets

Goruck could be a good choice. The GR1 is a little smaller than 30L, but handles weight extremely well thanks to big padded straps and can accept external pockets without looking tactical. You could easily add two water bottle pockets and keep the fluids away from your books and electronics. I bought the curved strap version for my daughters and they love them, but they're 21L I believe. Quality on these packs is outstanding.

Rori Montoya likes this.
  8. el rocko

el rocko Loaded Pockets

You might consider the HPG Umlindi. It's right at 33L, open configuration, removable adjustable frame sheet, with a very good shoulder harness.

If the load starts reaching 20 lbs or more you could add the Recon belt to take some of the load.

Also expandable docking a Tarapocket or pals pocket.

Rori Montoya and Jordan Smeenge like this.
  9. B_H_

B_H_ Loaded Pockets

Check out Grey Ghost Gear. Don't let the prices fool u. It's great gear. I have been abusing a light-weight assault pack now for 6 months and there's absolutely no sign of damage. I just had it out on a zodiac in the ocean off and on for nearly two weeks and it held up well!

Rori Montoya likes this.
  10. durus5995

durus5995 Empty Pockets

Another 27L bag that would be worth looking at would be the Sentinel bag from Sneaky Bags. The bag is fully customizable with a pals / soft loop webbing on the inside so you can customize it however you want. Where it might help you out as a teacher is you can add Sneaky Bag's Matroskya pouches to the internal D rings which would be handy for all your teacher supplies and you can have individual pouches for meds FAK etc... It has the external water pockets that you are looking for and is made from good materials. The bag is only $145 which is not to bad. If you want the bag with more of a traditional admin pocket for pens etc... instead of soft loop the Alpha One Niner Evade is the same bag but the front pouch is set up with a more traditional admin / organizer. Plus it has a couple additional pockets but costs a bit more.

My friend has the Tom Bihn Smart Alec which has a lot of room and is fairly customaizable. Although the Sentinel back / Evade will open up much wider.

http://www.sneakybags.com/store/SENTINEL_Backpack
    https://alphaoneniner.squarespace.com/shop/recon-9-evade-backpack
    https://www.tombihn.com/collections/backpacks/products/smart-alec?variant=16396801671

Rori Montoya likes this.
  11. Rori Montoya

Thank you!!

12. Rori Montoya

Thank you!!

13. Rori Montoya

Thanks!

14. Rori Montoya

Thanks much :D

15. Rori Montoya

I have been seriously tempted by this bag more than once! I bought a NF Recon instead--and I hate it. It tips over, and doesn't hold all of what I need it to. :( Glad to hear yours works well, thanks for the recommend!

16. Rori Montoya

Ooh, that sounds fab, thank you!

17. Rori Montoya

I've not heard of this bag/brand, thank you for the recommend!

18. Rori Montoya

Awesome! Off to check it out, thank you!

19. Rori Montoya

Genius! Thank you so much!!

20. Rori Montoya

Y'all are awesome :D Thank you so very much for the recommendations!! ;)