1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Help me with some refill

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by smokingfish, May 8, 2019.

1. smokingfish

smokingfish Loaded Pockets

I have a few pens that take parker refills.
    But I am not a big fan of ball point.

What are some gel type refills that are the same size and would fit these pens?
    I dont mind if they dry out, I could just have extra refills on hand.

2. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

For gel, Parker gel refills or Itoya Aquaroller. In the hybrid ink, Schmidt EasyFlow refills are great. For general use, I prefer the Schmidt EasyFlow, myself, since it won't run when wet, unlike the gel refills, but it's waaaay smoother than ballpoint. I have also tried the Parker Quinkflow, but did not like it.

lnytunes and smokingfish like this.
  3. smokingfish

I'm going to try the schmidt easy flow then.
    I mainly use my pen at work which is a sushi resturaunt so sometimes things will be wet.

Thanks for the input.

4. twin63

twin63 Loaded Pockets

I like the Schmidt Easy Flow as well. I have it in my Parker Jotters and Retro 51's.

smokingfish likes this.
  5. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

+1 for Schmidt Easy Flow. I find them as versatile (in terms of 'angle of attack' so to speak) as Fisher. I swore off Parker gel refills several years ago when I found too many of mine oozing some sort of colorless liquid and messing up pens... many over on Fountain Pen Network reported similar observations.

Admittedly this was several years ago; I do not know if the problem was resolved or not. Just didn't care enough to follow up... :(

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

smokingfish likes this.
  6. docmeade

docmeade Empty Pockets

Uniball just came out with a Jetstream jumbo/Parker-style refill. IMHO, Jetstream is lightyears ahead of the rest. I have recently tried the Itoya refills and like them quite a bit too. And you could always get your favorite D1 and use a Parker converter (eg, Tofty’s from Shapeways. (... and there was much rejoicing.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smokingfish and ran23 like this.
  7. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

There's really no advantage to a D-1 adapter, since the inks that are available in D-1 size are available in Parker style. The limited capacity of D-1 is a drawback if you do much writing. Jetstream ink is good, but really no better than any of the other hybrid inks like Easy Flow or Z-mulsion. The Jetstream refills in Parker style that I have seen are only available in black & limited tip sizes with limited distribution & the prices are not great. @Moshe ben David makes a valid point about the Parker gels oozing, however. @docmeade I use a Tofty adapter myself in my Zebra compact 301. The one I use allows use of a Jetstream SXR 80-10 refill, which is a proprietary Jetstream refill that is akin to an overgrown/jumbo D-1.

8. smokingfish

The easy flow came and it is a great refill! Thanks for the recommendation.

Now I need a refill for my Fisher shuttle space pen.
    As I understand no one makes a gel refill for these?

9. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Highly doubtful!

If you DO find one, many will be interested to know I am sure!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

10. smokingfish

I've heard of people using zebra fills and shortening them.

Might give it a try, if it doesnt work I'll have unusable refills though.

11. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

If you mean using Zebra ballpoint refills in a Fisher pen, they work without shortening, but you will have tip wiggle due to the slightly smaller tip of the Zebra refill. You will also have washed out gray ink...Zebra ballpoint s*cks.

12. smokingfish

I meant their gel fills.
    I'm not a fan of ballpoints.

13. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

Their gel refills are not set up for a pen that uses a spring to "push" the refill back against the clicker mechanism. I have one of Zebra's gel pens (G-301) and the mechanism grips the refill up near the top & does not use a spring down near the tip, so that particular refill is basically incompatible with clickie Space Pens due to not having a "bump" down near the refill tip. Zebra's other gel pens use a refill similar to "G-2" or international rollerball size, and won't play well with the Space Pen, either due to it's diameter and length. It can always be shortened, but the diameter issue will remain.