1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Help me Select My Next EDC Light

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by KD5JHA, Jul 1, 2016.

1. KD5JHA

KD5JHA Loaded Pockets

Ok Folks,

I am starting the research Process of finding a new Full-Time EDC/Work Light that can also be pressed into tactical service in an emergency... Lost my Surefire 6px Pro and Retired My old 15 year old PolyStinger and 10 year old Strion due to being Incandescent... I am aware that they have LED upgrade kits for the Streamlights but all my batteries are also shot, so for $40 plus a battery or two I'm over halfway to a brand new light or maybe all the way to another better light, who knows.

I consider myself a heavy flashlight user, every fenix and 47 light I've had lasted me less than a year and it was dead and gone due to switch or emitter failure...if I did not give it away first

I have owned and given away a Fenix PD32 and Olight S1 Baton both because while they were bright I was not all about the user interface of the light, just too complicated for any high stress situation and the olight turned on in my pocket constantly even with the pocket clip over the switch.

In the end, purchasing two lights may be the ticket. one for EDC and one for BAFL Tactical Purposes... May just not be able to get it all in one light for what I can afford to spend.

My lights get constantly dropped onto concrete from heights of up to 6' and often get wet or greasy or exposed to solvents like alcohols,acetone, etc.

I really do EDC my gear EVERY DAY...

I do have a couple of maratec pocket lights a AA and AAA, with the knurling worn nearly off and the key ring loops broken from pocket wear.

I prefer very simple interfaces, click on click off. no more than three modes...

Optimal would be a light with a recessed tail switch that if you press the switch half way you get low, if you ram it all the way you get high...and if you re-click it you go back to low...

My price range is Max $200...for Light, Batteries and Charger.

Lights I've looked at so far:

The Surefire P1R Peacekeeper (really close to what I want, but a little large at the head and at the top of my price range. really like the concept of 18650 cells though)
    The New Streamlight Stinger DS LED HL (Love the rechargeability, but it is a little large)
    Another Surefire 6PX Pro... (but that is sort of boring cause I like change, but the price is right...not rechargeable though)
    Surefire E2D Defender Ultra (Like the Features but don't dig primary batteries only, and the light is expensive)
    Streamlight 88047 ProTac HL 3 (Price is attractive and feature set is very close to what I want. It appears that you can use 18650 in this light as well as cr123, and if that is the case it might be a good option.)

Please suggest other options, I know that other good lights are out there, I just don't currently own anything from any other companies.

Thanks in advance...

Last edited by KD5JHA, Jul 1, 2016
    Fire Fighter likes this.
  2. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Malkoff anything is the first thing I would look at.

Or another SF,if its not broken why fix it?

Ed

ZMZ67 likes this.
  3. ZMZ67

ZMZ67 Loaded Pockets

+1 for Malkoff!

4. Fire Fighter

Fire Fighter Loaded Pockets

I was, and probably still am, in the same situation. I chew through lights as a fire fighter and are now using cheap cree lights. However I was after a personal and stylish EDC flashlight with the following specs: 18650 battery or 2 x CR123 batteries, with a tail click switch and simple operation ... 1 click on low, double click on high.

I am currently awaiting delivery of a Lumintop Prince Copper flashlight with carbon fiber wrap. Also comes in brass and stainless steel which are cheaper. Google it and reviews and check out the review on "thefirearmblog" and also a YouTube video in which they try to destroy the flashlight in testing it's strength.

[​IMG]

Kev2488 likes this.
  5. weklund

weklund Loaded Pockets

Great choice ... excellent light.​
    I am super pleased with mine. Stylish and built like a tank.​
    Simple UI with 3 level output.​
    I did a hard boiled patina process on mine right out of the box.​
    Have fun with your new CU Prince ... you will be very pleased.​
    [​IMG]

Kev2488 and Fire Fighter like this.
  6. KD5JHA

KD5JHA Loaded Pockets

Very snazzy looking light... I really wanted to find some options like this to consider before falling back in my rut...

Kev2488 and Fire Fighter like this.
  7. TKC

TKC Loaded Pockets

Another vote for Malkoff!!!

Kev2488 likes this.
  8. Kris69

Kris69 Loaded Pockets

I would never guess you like Malkoff...

Roger and Kev2488 like this.
  9. DeKrypt

DeKrypt Empty Pockets

[​IMG]

BLF Special Edition D80 from LuckySun.

Works for me for my EDC, Search and Rescue, and First Responder work.

I tend to drop my lights onto trees, wood, mud, and rocks.

Pretty cheap at around $30. Add a few more dollars (or if you've got the time, tear apart your old laptop batteries and take the 18650cells from there) for the battery and charger, and you're all set within the $50 range.

Its a great light!

Here's a skyward beamshot from a well lit city environment.
    [​IMG]

Here's the beamshot on the ground, again in a well lit environment.[​IMG]

Here's another shot of the D80 lighting up the entire bathroom.[​IMG]

Sent from my Lenovo A6000-l using Tapatalk

Kev2488 and Water-Rat like this.
  10. Kev2488

Kev2488 Loaded Pockets

I'll do the same as I did on CPF earlier today. HDS, Malkoff, Lens-Light and Elzetta. No necessarily in that order except for HDS being the top pick, that won't change.

11. weklund

weklund Loaded Pockets

... Malkoff MDC is an Excellent Choice ...
    [​IMG]

Kev2488 likes this.
  12. Dingle1911

Dingle1911 Loaded Pockets

Malkoff came to mind as I read the first post, then I scrolled down to see them recommended multiple times. You can't go wrong with another surefire either.