1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Help me redesign my key chain(s)!

Discussion in 'Keychain Tools' started by Knifestyle, Jun 8, 2020.

1. Knifestyle

Knifestyle Loaded Pockets

A long time ago, some one on a forum mentioned carrying a ring of keys and a ring of small tools separately. 20 year old Knifestyle said 'cool' and I've been doing it for ten years. I'm at a breaking point...I find myself adjusting at work because I carry these in a back pocket and a bandana for padding only does so much. I've recently started carrying a new flashlight in my back pocket. The old one was a beater and scratched to death by my keys, I'd rather take better carry of this one. And I have no idea how to juggle these, combine these, upgrade these, or reduce these...

'Tool' ring:
    -Fox 40 Shark whistle. I broke four to five Micros, this was just most durable. Smaller options are welcome.
    -Fenix EO5. Not the most cutting edge? But it works like a tank, doesn't turn on in my pocket.
    -Spy capsule from a long-defunct website, meds and Advil.
    -Leatherman P4. Love it to death.
    -Nite Ize bottle opener carabiner

Keys:
    -Masonic 'if found, mail to...' fob
    -Pressure point tool
    -Honda key, my model requires a key
    -Four standard keys. Condo entrance, condo, car safe, mailbox.
    [​IMG]
    Reality show flip my keychains, please. I am open to any ideas to be more comfortable, carry less, or carry smarter.

2. SOS24

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

Have you considered a small leather pocket organizer for the Leatherman and E05, then put the rest of the items on a dangler in front pocket. For four standard keys you could use a S-biner microlock to hold them together and flat.

gdwtvb and Moshe ben David like this.
  3. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

I don't know anything about the Fox whistle you mention. My first question is -- how often do you have to use it? If not that often, maybe move it to the tool ring? Also, seeing as I don't know how relatively bulky it is, take a look at some of the smaller whistles now out. I have a couple of Ti whistles made by Kizer that are extremely small diameter and not very lengthy. Loud as hell. Now, before you point out these can be pricey, I agree. The only reason I have them is they were complementary for a while by Kizer via BHQ as a deal... keep your eyes open for similar; such things do come up sometimes. This is a link the Kizer whistle I mention, just FYI: https://www.bladehq.com/item--Kizer-Siren-1-EDC-Whistle-Bottle--100020 ; mine is a blue anodized so in theory was more costly except it was a 'gift' ;)

My other comment is do you really need the mailbox key on the same ring with car keys? The few times in my life where I lived somewhere with mailboxes in a group for several 'buildings' in an apartment/condo complex I usually found myself parking the car in the garage first and then walking over to the mailbox anyway. So for me, I just left the mailbox key on a nail in the garage.

Not a lot of help here I guess, but I figured these might slim down the keyring a tad.

Am Yisrael Chai!

Moshe ben David

echo victor likes this.
  4. bryan123

bryan123 Loaded Pockets

I'm going to play devil's advocate because I have a fundamental disagreement with your strategy. I believe that it makes more sense to carry your most used / most needed tools on the same ring as your keys so you always, always, always have them WITH YOU.

In my case I have a Lucky Line Twisty with the following on it:

1. SAK Classic SD
    2. Fenix Eo5
    3. Fox 40 Micro
    4. Car key fob via Nite Ize mini locking S Biner
    5. 1 inch split ring with 3 standard keys and a door fob, via S Biner.

Not a heavy key ring, and lighter still if I use my Nitecore Tube in place of the E05.

Last edited by bryan123, Jun 23, 2020
    #4 bryan123, Jun 23, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2020
  5. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

I don't believe in carrying often-used tools on a keyring. So, I don't carry a pen, flashlight or knife on a keyring. That leaves a bottle opener on the key ring. Yes, I'm a minimalist.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  6. bryan123

bryan123 Loaded Pockets

That's fine as long as you have the discipline to always remember to bring your light and knife with you always.

I usually carry a Streamlight Protac 1L-1AA and a Three Rivers Nomad with me, but this morning I was in a rush and forgot both. Because of my keychain setup, I still have a light and a functional cutting tool on me. Redundancy can be important.

Eskerbillion likes this.
  7. neo71665

neo71665 Loaded Pockets

I only have a p38 on my key ring. Never seen the need to carry a bunch of useless micro tools.

Well I guess the carabiner on my keys has a flat blade screw driver tip, bottle opener, and 5/16 wrench but I didn't get it for that crap. I like it because it's all stainless steel and was cheap. If I could find a plain version of it I would be happy with it.

bryan123 likes this.
  8. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

They go from pants to pants (or shorts)...forgetting them is not an option, but I'm OCD so I always wind up triple checking everything...including backing up down the alley to make sure the garage door is down...:giggle: