1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Help me put together a build...

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by d.weglarz13, Dec 31, 2013.

1. Ippon

Ippon Loaded Pockets

If you do get new washers let us know how they work out! I have been curious for a while if a plastic washer would smooth things up a bit (not that its rough to begin with) but I haven't't put in a serious effort to find something the right size.

BubbaFett and baja820 like this.
  2. BubbaFett
    • In Omnia Paratus

BubbaFett Loaded Pockets

Not trying to hijack the OP's thread but now I'm considering modding the Charge/Rebar too. Couple questions for you modders:

If I WERE to put Rebar pliers on my Charge, would the Rebar accept the Charge pliers so the MT wouldn't be a total waste?

Looks like the Rebar has an awl, would putting that on the Charge be fairly easy? Maybe instead of the flathead or mini-bit driver?

3. metropolicity

metropolicity Loaded Pockets

It makes for a great back up in a car or a lender for someone.

I even have gifted a st300 to someone with a surge head because I know he won't use it much, on occasion but he also has big hands.

A tool is tool, some are better and some are worse, but one has to have something otherwise you'd be helpless sometimes.

There is always a way, hack on!

Last edited by metropolicity, Jan 5, 2014
  4. baja820

baja820 Loaded Pockets

any progress????

Ippon likes this.
  5. Ippon

Ippon Loaded Pockets

All this talk... Im curious too see how its comming! :) anything yet?

baja820 likes this.
  6. baja820

baja820 Loaded Pockets

yeah, where did op go?

Ippon likes this.
  7. d.weglarz13

d.weglarz13 Loaded Pockets

will be uploading pics later or tomorrow. got the urge to try a couple other things while off from work, but back working again. all i do is work.
    I have decided to go through with a surge/St300 build also, just waiting to find one in stock. I finally got myself a rebar and a few other things to play around with on the smaller charge build though, as i don't want to leave my MT in pieces....yea, started taking apart the charge before i got the parts for the rebar.
    Side note, i think i need one of the NEW charges with the new scales though....Mine is the old one, but will be great practice i guess until i get the funds for the new one.
    For now at home i got my charge in pieces, the rebar now in pieces, gonna try to see what happens with anodizing the old handles. I can't wait to screw around some more with this, but i need a vacation or something. The bills don't pay themselves...

AK Adventurer, baja820 and Ippon like this.
  8. d.weglarz13

Update.....more tools for parts, although I'm really loving the rebar honestly, it's just so much nicer form factor for edc carry. Too bad the charge/wave is so thick. A bit bulky to me but man, those tools on the outside.....
    I'm starting to build a collection actually, lol. Some are ripped apart currently though....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm still working on my setup for the anodizing, so I'm not there yet.
    And truly I feel bad for making you guys wait so long.....I want this to be my perfect edc MT, and still trying to get the charge handles ano'd. I might have some other tricks up my sleeve though.....
    Sorry its taking so long though, with work and all I hardly get to work on this thing at all. I should be working less this week coming though, so i should be able to get some time on it.

Also, do you guys know what part of the handles are Ti? I mean, obviously the scales, but what about the inside liners and ruler? Im guessing its steel, but if not i may be able to ano that too.
    dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by d.weglarz13, Jan 17, 2014
    BubbaFett, Ippon and baja820 like this.
  9. Ippon

Ippon Loaded Pockets

looking foward to seeing how it goes! :)

10. d.weglarz13

I found this pic on another forum from the UK. Anyone have any idea how to go about anodizing like this pic? How the heck would I ano without touching the lower portions around the Leatherman logo? I hope I'm explaining this right? Look at the Ti handle. Only the raised logo is ano'd, not the other part.
    Any suggestions on this technique?
    Thanks again guys.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BubbaFett likes this.
  11. baja820

baja820 Loaded Pockets

I've never attempted it myself but I'm sure there are a few videos on YouTube on how to do it.

12. metropolicity

Basically this, you can anodize the whole thing till it's quite dark. Then, lay the scale on some fine grit sand paper to remove the dark anodizing (not much, it's pretty thin), then anodize the fresh Ti areas blue. That's how I did mine.

You can't go back once you've too dark, you'll have to sand it away.

The Ti used for the scales is of an unknown alloy and it's not the purest or nicest, when I was milling a set way to do some mods, there were voids in it.

I used baking soda, water and a whole bunch of 9v batteries.

13. d.weglarz13

very interesting. That actually makes a lot of sense seeing as how all the pics I've seen of things similar to this with the charge, the finish really is never that uniform. And YES, thats IT!! i knew it couldn't have been that hard, thanks for explaining i understand completely. Just curious,
    @metropolicity is it ok to use lets say, 11 or 12 9v batts linked together to each other? I see guys use 3, but never that many, but i don't really see why not if Im careful. Just figured you might know.

Thanks guys, hopefully i will get this done in the next few days. You guys are just awesome, and i love seeing your pics of your mods, hence the only reason Im really even into MT's now

I want to go for a nice green if possible, and would rather not duracoat this one. But i'll see whats possible i guess when i get to play around some more.

One another side note though. I really was serious before about the Rebar and how nice the darn thing carries so much better than the wave or charge. I really want to play around with maybe a different type of scale all together to maybe slim the whole charge/wave package down to the Rebar size. Again, maybe I'm dreaming....but i can't help feel that the ideal edc MT for the "most tool" set up is somewhere in between the Rebar size and the Charge tool selection.....maybe i'll come up with something.......;)

AK Adventurer likes this.
  14. metropolicity

I got it to green once but it wasn't too bright, titanium anodizing is fun but to get better results you need to have pure water, a better electrolyte solution, titanium wire to dangle the parts in a beaker and a variable power source.

Also, titanium oxide is a super thin coating, so it scratches and damages easy.

15. d.weglarz13

Understood. I already have most of that stuff already, just trying to figure if it will all work. i may try to make a custom G10 one, thats what I'm leaning to in my head right now anyway. Pics as soon as I can....
    dave