1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Help me put together a build...

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by d.weglarz13, Dec 31, 2013.

1. Ippon

Ippon Loaded Pockets

Ok, that was an exaggeration... hence the tongue face. Cut a big chunk of flesh off though. I was doing a simple blade swap on my EDC wave, I was in a hurry to get somewhere, (but the part came early! I have to do it NOW!!!) The rest is pretty obvious. :oops: and yes, I was the kid at scout camp who cut himself carving a pointy stick at least 2 times a day. :rolleyes: Good times.

AK Adventurer and baja820 like this.
  2. d.weglarz13

d.weglarz13 Loaded Pockets

Okay, so....I see in the pic what looks like the broken tabs. But I wanna make sure. Are you guys talking about the little metal "sticks" that point up for the pliers to rest on when closing it? Or are we talking the longer metal legs that come off the piece inside that is riveted on? They look like they have some sort of "flex" type of function, and this may sound silly but i can't tell without taking it apart what those flexing long tabs are for. Do they in any way work with the lock bar on the tools to stop them from flexing too far? Or will I need them at all once i change heads? Or is this just the detent to keep the handles open? and again will i need these to keep the pliers snapped in the open position?
    Again, just saw the last few posts and checked inside the handles on mine and looks like the flex tabs serve some sort of purpose, just hard to see until I get to my shop and take this thing apart.

And, thank you I will be using gloves! Metro, AK, and Baja thanks again for explaining.

3. baja820

baja820 Loaded Pockets

OK, here's my wave next to my surge. You can see the wave still has the lock bars. (You don't need to remove them to swap the rebar jaws on the wave for some reason) you will notice the surge lock bars are gone. Just go slow and bend them until they break.[​IMG]

Rockslide and AK Adventurer like this.
  4. AK Adventurer

AK Adventurer Ice, Ice, Tigre

EDIT; I was about to post mush the same pic, but Bajas pic is much better than mine, so ya, what he said^^^

Those two bars or legs as you put it, that lay off of the end of the riveted piece toward the pliers, are a safety feature to keep the blades from opening during pliers use.

When the handles are open, in position to use the pliers, a ''ramp'' on the outer circumference of the pliers head pivot area forces them apart, and the tips stick up into the way of the knife blades on the outside, and prevent those blades from opening while the handles are open...

I've removed them from both my surge, and wave mods, and have never had any issues with the blades coming open while using the pliers, so in my opinion it was an un-needed safety feature.

I also had to remove the little sticks that stick up for the pliers tips to rest on, but for you that will depend on what tools you use in that end, and how much clearance you need for things.

baja820 likes this.
  5. d.weglarz13

Wow, okay. You guys are really the best. I am so excited now.
    Thanks for explaining that all in detail like that. I kind of had an idea, but now that i have my MT in hand and looking at your pics, i understand completely. Good to know i don't need those lock bars. So, i will be posting some pics soon when i get this mutant MT done. Hopefully, i won't have any real bad issues and all will go together nicely. I will be sticking with my CHarge like you guys recommended.
    I might do this again with a Surge after this, but that one will be for my edc bag or car, not my belt.

Thanks again guys. Im going out in a little bit, gonna see what my local places have in stock. Hopefully a Rebar!

6. BubbaFett
    • In Omnia Paratus

BubbaFett Loaded Pockets

This thread has me intrigued. Pardon my ignorance, but what makes the ST300/Rebar pliers so much better? Is that only for cutting wire a lot or is there more to it?

Wondering about putting a Rebar head on my Charge now, not so much because I need it (definitely don't), but more for the project of it.

baja820 likes this.
  7. AK Adventurer

The replaceable wire cutters are the draw for most guys, myself included. If you cut a lot of wire, especially hard wire, steel wire and straps, it can really notch and ruin the fixed cutters in MTs... The replaceable cutters fix that, they are made of 154CM to begin with, and if you do hurt them, just get new ones.

I then got it and noticed comparing them, the Rebar pliers have larger deeper notches/serrations to grip with, a more aggressive pliers grip-- they tear/scratch up softer materials a little more, but overall I like it better.

d.weglarz13 and BubbaFett like this.
  8. BubbaFett
    • In Omnia Paratus

BubbaFett Loaded Pockets

Cool. So how do you get new cutters? Do they come with the unit, buy them from Leatherman, or are they widely available?

9. AK Adventurer

You only get one installed set with the tool, but yeah they are fairly easy to get. I've never seen them in a retail/brick and mortar store, but most online Leatherman dealers have them, ebay is lousy with them, and yeah, you can order directly from Leatherman.

BubbaFett likes this.
  10. baja820

baja820 Loaded Pockets

Do it!!![​IMG]

d.weglarz13 and BubbaFett like this.
  11. baja820

baja820 Loaded Pockets

op, any updates?....

12. d.weglarz13

^^^^Not yet! We had small blizzard in NY day before yesterday, most of the stores around here were closed. Im going after work today, I know west marine has a rebar, im getting that one today. I can't wait to start tinkering...Just gotta source a surge scissors. And, i may want to have two fixed phillips. Reason is, one of them i am thinking of grinding into an awl/marlin spike type thing. I don't really have a need for the awl that is on the rebar, and the phillips looks like the best place to start if i can fit 2 of them. Im still going through the perfect setup in my head for my needs, and thinking about how its gonna all fit.... Will post pics as soon as i get started, hopefully tomorrow after work....Im pretty excited, having to go to work sucks.

dave

13. baja820

baja820 Loaded Pockets

awesome. I don't want to rain on your parade but surge scissors won't fit in a charge. you will have better luck modding wingman scissors to fit.

14. baja820

baja820 Loaded Pockets

also I would mod a large flat driver for a awl

15. AK Adventurer

Well... sort of. They can be fit to the frame length. Its a lot of careful , tegious grinding and filing... The Surge scissors are too long for the frame, and have to have the cutting edge shortened to fit. But they are harder to fit because of more metal to work with; its a blessing and a curse; you have to fit about 5 surfaces all at once, slowly rotating through them... its technically easier, and more forgiving, but more complicated... if that makes any sense.

This is on a Wave anyway... Not sure if the Surge scissors would be too thick to fit under the scales on a Charge. @Metropolicity might have the answer to that; Metro? :cool:

But, having said that, WIngman scissors would be better for a first time modder to fit I think, its less surfaces to fit at once, less complicated, you just have to slightly enlarge the pivot hole, and file 1 lock surface on the scissors, and 1 or 2 surfaces on the spring to fit instead of 5.

I wish I hadn't messed up my modded Wingman scissors when I re-fit them to another project, or I'd just send them to you d.weglarz13, they would probably have fit perfectly...

If you do want to try fitting and shortening a set of Surge scissors, I have a silver set left that I could send you. :)

16. d.weglarz13

Well, this may sound silly, again. But, i plan on doing this to my charge for edc, And i think im going to try it with a surge or MUT for the car or bag. Im taking it slow though, if i screw something up too bad and get pissed, that might be it for me, so keeping my fingers crossed and planning everything out first before starting the grinding/fitting/modding. I figured by looking at pics, that the scissors are going to be too large for the charge, but the pic i saw of the surge scissors on a mut i saw, just kills me. So, in EDCF fashion, going to go for both. And, although i have done all sorts of mod stuff and fitment similar to this before, this will be my first attacking some MT's, so lets see how bad i screw up......hopefully not though!

When i do the Surge/MUT mod(which i may be more excited for due to the scissor mod i wanna try), i think i will start out buying the already newly released Surge with ST300 head already on it. It seems like a portion of my work will already be taken care of for the larger one. That should make my life easier..

AK Adventurer likes this.
  17. baja820

baja820 Loaded Pockets

awesome. you shouldn't have any major problems that can't be fixed if need be.

also if you have access to dental picks it makes putting the bronze washers back in a bit easier. be careful you don't bend those little paper thin washers. lol that was the most aggravating part of the build for me.

AK Adventurer likes this.
  18. Ippon

Ippon Loaded Pockets

This, exactly this. :frantic:

baja820 likes this.
  19. d.weglarz13

wonder if some better thin little phosphorous bronze washers wouldn't make the tool a bit smoother overall....ill probably just take care with those though, like you said. if i screw them up, then i can always look to different PB washers.

well, after work again its off to the store to see what i can source for the build(s)...
    the store somehow sold the last rebar yesterday, so try to see what they have at my lowes.

AK Adventurer and BubbaFett like this.
  20. baja820

baja820 Loaded Pockets

:smile_coffee:well be here waiting. good luck!

BubbaFett likes this.