1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Help me put together a build...

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by d.weglarz13, Dec 31, 2013.

1. d.weglarz13

d.weglarz13 Loaded Pockets

Okay, so Im trying to figure out exactly what I need to buy in order to put together a custom set up for my specific needs. And, i am very new to this I know, and pretty much jumping right in, so I would love your guys opinions and ideas, on what I should go ahead with or stay away from, since I see all kinds of cool mods on here. I am pretty handy, but am really hoping most of the parts will fit with a very minimum of modding the actual tools if possible.

But, Im trying to decide if I should stick with my Charge tti platform, or go up to the next size, the Surge or Mut size. (are the surge and mut pretty much the same size except for the seatbelt cutter?)

I am trying to decide on what tools to buy, and then I can put the parts together that I need, along with some other spare parts I can think of fitting, so maybe you guys can give me some good ideas, and tell me what WON"T work, if you know for sure.
    So far, Im guessing most of the parts should fit more or less, if the parts are in the same size range of tool. For instance, rebar/wave/charge, and then the models super tool/surge/mut.

Now, if I go with the smaller platform, i will be definitely starting with the Rebar pliers with removable cutters. If the larger platform, then im guessing the super tool pliers with the cutters.
    Then, what i need I got it down to this to start....from scratch:

* Scissors(still don't know. I use these a lot, so im looking for a bigger better scissors.
    * Carbon scraper(maybe)
    * Punch or awl
    * I love the gut hook on my charge...so I don't know about that if i go bigger
    * Blade(i love the S30v, so again....?)
    * Bit driver, although maybe an upgraded one like the extension one that takes 1/4" bits
    * not sure about the file, don't use it for my fingernails, but maybe will come in handy
    * saw, don't know if i need it, but i love having it in case i need it.

And, will be getting a skinth so I can carry it will some accessory bits and whatnot, but i won't go into that. But, this tool does need to be able to fold perfectly, or else I won't be happy with it. So, again if any or all of this sounds like it won't work, let me know now.

What i don't need on my charge now, or anytime in the future mod:
    can opener, never use it
    hammer(mut)
    seatbelt cutter(mut)
    carabiner(mut)

Now, I personally am used to carrying my charge tti on my belt or in the pocket now, after a couple weeks of every day carry.
    I also I am curious to know how many of you carry the larger model like the Surge. I mean every day, in the pocket or on belt only, on your person. Am i in for a huge difference in terms of weight and size if i go to lets say a surge platform instead of my current charge with titanium handles?

Or, in your opinions, do you guys think that the Surge or Mut size is just too much for edc belt/pocket carry? I really love my Charge, and will stay with that size if you guys think thats the upper limit of what you like to carry. I also carry 2 lights, keys, a large and a small knife, phone, wallet, etc. So, i didn't really want to add to that carry setup, but now that you guys got me into the MT thing, I just don't ever again want to forget to carry it when i am at home or leave the house! And, who knows, if I carry the bigger one for a week i can probably get used to that too, but again, rather ask you guys who actually carry them every day, and probably other cool edc stuff like me.

Thanks for anything you feel like throwing in, and just the conversation in general...

.....Im getting real bad with this MT thing now. As you guys can probably see...

dave

Last edited by d.weglarz13, Dec 31, 2013
  2. d.weglarz13

sorry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. baja820

baja820 Loaded Pockets

I put a ST300 head on surge handles. It has most of what you are looking for with the exception of the s30v and carbon scraper. I get around this by carrying a benchmade Doug Ritter mini griptilian along with my Surge300. [​IMG]

4. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips Loaded Pockets

If you really wanted a carbon scraper with a leatherman other than a MUT (i.e. different tool selection) couldn't you re-treat one of the leatherman bits to be softer and just use that in the bit driver?

5. Kilted1

Kilted1 Loaded Pockets

Maybe you should talk to Metropolicity, the king of custom multitools.

metropolicity likes this.
  6. Ippon

Ippon Loaded Pockets

baja did this before the Surge came stock with the ST300 head.... the new ones with the new head are hard to find but it can be done. The Rebar head drops right into the wave/charge, but you'll have to be careful what inside tools you have to make sure the tool closes.

As far as what platform you should use, I personally go with the 4 inch. The guys who go with the bigger ones I give my hats off too, but I just can't do it. Most of the time I don't' need even that much size. But I do need enough capability from time to time for me to justify a wave.

I suppose you are just looking for ideas? I'll just throw a few things out there for thought.
    -scissors if you go with the surge you have got great outside accessible scissors. The charge has great inside accessible ones. The outside op. scissors from the wingman can be put on the charge/wave with some modification.
    -I have never seen a tool with a carbon scraper besides the MUT. I'd love to see someone take it on!
    -awl, use one from the rebar, Surge, ST300, or grind one out of the "large flathead driver"
    -blades, you're gonna have to go with a smaller size if you want those options.
    -file and saw. If you want them, keep them if not put something else on.

7. d.weglarz13

Okay, great. So if I am understanding this right? The Surge now comes "stock" with the st300 head?

baha, you do some real cool mods, i was checking out your pictures. There is a pic by you i think, with a MUT with what looks like custom larger scissors. Im guessing that came from some other tool all together?

So far, its down to options like the Surge, Mut, or after thinking about it a bit, i may just stay with the wave/rebar/charge size, but I am just really wondering how hard it is to carry the bigger ones. At my local store they have a st300, but that thing looks so thick and huge, i don't think i can swing that. But the surge has handles more like the charge, so it seems doable.....

ah....so many choices. I don't have a problem modding somehting like you guys said to make my own scraper or whatnot. So, still trying to figure it all in my head before i start spending money.

Thanks for all the replies so far!
    Im excited to start this....

Those mods by Baha and Metropolocity look fantastic!

8. baja820

baja820 Loaded Pockets

metro did the scissors on the MUT..... I think.

9. d.weglarz13

thanks, those look pretty cool.

Baha, since you seem to be one of the few modders doing this, any idea about my ideas and what WON"T let the tool fold perfectly? I understand the bigger pliers with the cutters take up more space in the handles, so I don't want to lose any tools, just would like to change them out....
    thanks!

10. d.weglarz13

This is the scissor, and yes looks like Metropolocity did it...
    [​IMG]

Thanks for any info on this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. baja820

baja820 Loaded Pockets

Break the lock bars to give you a little more room.[​IMG]
    Then check to make sure half the jaws fit after you install your custom tool load out.[​IMG]

Ippon likes this.
  12. d.weglarz13

Thanks a lot for that info. So, I need to remove the rivets in the handle holding those locks then right?
    Apparently, I will be looking for Mut scissors if I can find a way to fit that in somehow.

Im leaning towards the Wave/Charge/Rebar size I think for edc. Curious here, as far as handle frames and the pivots go, are the Charge tti handles a stronger design than the wave style handle? It may sound funny, but Im really wondering now, other than aesthetics....
    I see the Surge and MUt, the two big guys are using the "wave style" handles frame....

any ideas?

13. baja820

baja820 Loaded Pockets

you don't want to remove the rivet. just break the lock bars. if you remove the rivet something bad happens.... I can't remember what, metro explained it once.

14. metropolicity

metropolicity Loaded Pockets

The rivet is shared by the inner tool locking tab spring as well. So if you undo the rivet, the inside drivers and tools will no longer lock, in fact they will be floppy and dangerous :D

That, and a dimensional time sinkhole will open up near the plier pivot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

15. AK Adventurer

AK Adventurer Ice, Ice, Tigre

The scissors in that Mut are from a Surge.

@Metropolicity

That should get his attention, hopefully to answer some questions.

I'm out running around town right now, but when I get back later I'll see if I can answer some questions/add some advice. :)

16. AK Adventurer

AK Adventurer Ice, Ice, Tigre

Lol, I was too slow, he's already here!

17. metropolicity

metropolicity Loaded Pockets

Oh yah. Wear gloves when you are breaking off the locking tabs, the spring is REALLY sharp when it finally snaps off and it cut my palm TWICE (two separate builds in the past) so I finally smartened up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

baja820 likes this.
  18. baja820

baja820 Loaded Pockets

lol I think it cut the top of my thumb on one my surge 300 builds.

19. Ippon

Ippon Loaded Pockets

I cut my thumb off! :p

20. baja820

baja820 Loaded Pockets

ouch! how?....