1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

help me pick a non-Maxpedition bag for school/EDC use.

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by hannism, Dec 14, 2008.

1. hannism

hannism Loaded Pockets

Hi all,

I need some help in picking a good quality medium sized bag. I am a college student, so I need it to be able to store books and school supplies. However, I do want to load EDC equipment there, too.

At the drop of a hat, I want to be able to toss my books/school supplies out, and use it as a tactical bag.

Help me out. I like the Maxpedition line up, but after reading about how they wronged you guys, perhaps you can point me in the right direction on what to buy.

2. cunnyviking

cunnyviking Empty Pockets

check out the 5.11 rush 24. i have the 72 and love it. i've been happy with every 5.11 item i ever bought.

3. krispypata

krispypata Empty Pockets

Check out Eagle Industries A-III 3-day pack or for something smaller, Tactical Tailor enhanced day pack is nice too.

You can't go wrong with the Eagle A-III.

4. Akilae

Akilae Loaded Pockets

In my own college days I used a medium Alice pack. Main pocket for books and what not, there's the radio compartment you can put stuff you don't want hidden at the bottom of the pack, and you get three outside pockets for EDC gear. Plus, I'm pretty certain you can find one for pretty cheap.

5. UrbanEDC

UrbanEDC Loaded Pockets

If I get into pharm school, I have a TAD Gear Fastpack on my list.

Cheaper alternatives might be the North Face line, particularly the Recon/Surge.
    They both have laptop sleeves, and the Recon's can function as a hydration pocket as well.

Tactical Tailor Daypack looks good as well as the aforementioned Eagle A-III.

Consider the size of the pack you want (Cu. in) and start from there.

6. crossroads

crossroads Empty Pockets

I'm currently using a Crumpler King Single, after my last bag failed on me. It's a backpack with a laptop case, if you carry one around. Sorta pricey, but it has a lifetime warranty and is extremely well made. Also, the Crumpler website made me laugh, though a bit confusing to navigate initially. My only gripe with it is that due to all the textbooks I carry around, the King Single isn't exactly the best fit for me; the huge weight has slightly damaged my laptop (only cosmetically) when placed horizontally, and I occasionally have a hard time fitting books in, let alone my EDC items (luckily I mainly EDC on person). Otherwise, it's top notch. Big pros include the heavy duty zippers, water resistance, rugged material and the way the laptop case inside can be detached and used separately.

7. 9mm4me

9mm4me Empty Pockets

Lightfighter RAID pack? only $100

[​IMG]

8. andy

andy Loaded Pockets

9. shrap

shrap Loaded Pockets

I like my RAID, but it's not really designed for organization of little things, unless you double the price with MOLLE pouches on the outside. In stock form, it has one large compartment, two interior mesh compartments (interior = hard to get to), and two tall and open-topped "mortar" pockets on the outside. If you're mostly carring large things then it's pretty good, but make sure to get the frame sheet.

There's a 3-day Assault Pack Reference on AR15.com which might be interesting, but unless you really like the military look or are actually going into combat with it, there's nothing wrong with civilian gear.

10. blackhatch46

blackhatch46 Loaded Pockets

you can still buy maxped if you like it, just dont buy it directly from the manufacturer.

11. 9mm4me

9mm4me Empty Pockets

The money still gets to Maxped, just in the form of a re-order instead. If you want to boycott something, that means not purchasing it at all.

12. hatchetjack

hatchetjack EDC Junkie!!!!!

I'd like to suggest a Kelty Redtail 1800 for a non-tactical bag and the Kelty Peregrine for military styling. Good organization pockets for school stuff and big enough for other duty.

13. STHFNGLD

STHFNGLD Empty Pockets

Timbuk2's are cool lookin, have good storage, and last FOREVER. :D

14. aroncull

aroncull Empty Pockets

Go for a Camelbak milspec bag. They are great, i have a Talon and love it. I have had many, MANY packs, bags, sachels, etc..etc... MXPD, TNF, Timbuk2, TAD gear Fast pack, Blackhawk, Lowepro, Mountainsmith, Jansport... I mean really a long list... The Camelbak was the HIT for a backpack that was affordable, tactical [Molle-bomb proof] and USABLE...

Try:

Talon
    Urban Assualt
    Urban Rover..

I bought my Talon from skdtac.com

Also on my list at the time of the Camelbak purchase was-

Eagle Courier Bag and the LE version.

Also some interest in the HSGI Armordilla.. Kinda big though.

15. hannism

hannism Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the suggestions guys and gals. So far, after looking at the selections I'm torn between the 5.11 tactical gear and the camelbak lineup.

16. b.s.

b.s. Loaded Pockets

I see where you're coming from,

I really like the 5.11 rush bags, and seem to have good internal organization.
    I've always been a fan of the camelbak BFM

I've seen about 5 Motherlode's on my campus, so if you wanna be different, I'd go 5.11

17. xgs123

xgs123 Empty Pockets

hey aroncull,

can you do a mini-review of your talon? like are there organizers in the pouches or any additional features
    other than the hydration pocket?

that looks like a nice pack.

18. moonshinematt

moonshinematt Empty Pockets

CAMELBAk, M.U.L.E. Camo edition.. :luck:

19. hannism

hannism Loaded Pockets

I went ahead and ordered the 5.11 24 bag. They had a special deal where they were giving away tactical knives for purchases over $75. Since I am in need of a folder, seemed like the right decision. Thanks all.

20. Paddling_Man

Paddling_Man Loaded Pockets