1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Help me pick a new outdoors watch!

Discussion in 'Watches' started by Cullen bohannon, May 15, 2017.

1. Cullen bohannon

Cullen bohannon Empty Pockets

Can't figure out how to post pic so......

Casio Men's MTD-1079D
    Seiko SNE 331
    Eco-Drive Men's BM8475-26E

Last edited by Cullen bohannon, May 15, 2017
    #1 Cullen bohannon, May 15, 2017
    Last edited: May 15, 2017
  2. Mark9117

Mark9117 Loaded Pockets

3. Cullen bohannon

I like that. Doesn't get much tougher than casio. Do you have that particular Seiko by any chance?

#3 Cullen bohannon, May 16, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2017
  4. Mark9117

Mark9117 Loaded Pockets

I do not. I have one of the Casio Pathfinder PAG240-1

Or something like that. I bought adaptors (which are damned hard to find) and put it on a NATO strap.

I also have a Suunto Core All Black:

The Suunto looks cooler, but the Casio is much easier to read and will likely hold up longer.

#4 Mark9117, May 16, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2017
  5. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

fyi, I went ahead and looked up that Seiko model. Checked purchaser review comments on Amazon. Interesting. On the part of negative reviews, there was a distinct trend of poor performance in terms of charge. FWIW, I have never owned this Seiko model. I did however own a different Seiko analog watch for a while; ended up trashing it -- I do mean trashing -- because it would not hold a solar charge. You can rightly assume I'm not a fan of Seiko analog solar watches.

Please note -- that DOES NOT mean I am anti-Seiko. Far from it. I am a HUGE fan of Seiko in general and automatics especially. Automatics are not always for everyone; not quite as precise as quartz for example. But I love them. Especially the Seiko 5 Sports. My favorite in fact is a model SNZG09; this one has a green face although the same watch is available with white, black, or blue faces. Layout is similar to what are sometimes termed 'military' similar to Hamiltons.

Hope this info is useful.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

Cullen bohannon likes this.
  6. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

btw, for what its worth, a Casio G-Shock is probably a very safe bet as an outdoors watch. Very broad array of styles; both digital and analog; broad range of price points. I doubt you can go wrong! In case you're put off by resin bands, note that some have metal bracelets; and there are adapters available to enable NATO and Zulu straps as well as rubber or silicon if you so desired...

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

xrayit and Cullen bohannon like this.
  7. 0880

0880 Loaded Pockets

IMHO, I like a Citizen Eco-drive for an outdoors watch.

I've used a titanium Eco-Drive as my work watch for the past 8 years and literally beat the crap out of it everyday. The chrono feature stopped working a year ago and it shows wear, especially on the ti band, but it's still super accurate at +1.5 sec per month. And you can't get lower maintenance than this. I just wash it in the sink with soap and a brush once in awhile and it's good to go.

I just bought a replacement watch last week and I really like it so far. It's a Citizen Promaster Diver BN0150-10E
    [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

jcombs and Cullen bohannon like this.
  8. jcombs

jcombs Loaded Pockets

What are you going to use this watch for? What other watches do you own? What is your budget? This info will help with suggestions.

0880 likes this.
  9. jhquintero

jhquintero Loaded Pockets

Maybe you could consider Tissot [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cullen bohannon likes this.
  10. Cullen bohannon

Kind of looks like that Seiko 331

Kev2488 likes this.
  11. Vartz04

Vartz04 Loaded Pockets

Fenix 3 Refurbs are about $290. otherwise I would go G Shock.

12. tirod

tirod Loaded Pockets

All we get is "outdoor" watch, so the recommendations for a G Shock fits better. Outdoor means getting wet, so 200WR is minimum. Outdoor means getting into dynamic activities, therefore a shock resistant watch is preferred. There is an ISO standard for that and lesser watches simply don't stand up to years of getting banged up. For the most part only Dive rated or G Shocks will suffer it.

An all metal case is nice to have but I've dealt with them for years and they get scratched up, dented, don't protect the crystal, etc. Metal bracelets are much better in service over time because they don't pick up oils, noxious spills, or wabi - skin cells - which eventually cause fabric bands to become micro breeding grounds for bacteria. Polymer is second best with a limited lifespan, and leather a distant third as it does act like a sponge absorbing fluids. You don't want hydraulic oils in constant contact with your wrist because of an inadvertent spill miles from home with a limited means of cleaning it up.

Display of time is a personal choice but analog has led the pace for decades with it's one glance speed. Good lume or backlighting is another outdoor requirement - you don't need to struggle for a pocket light to see it when you need it now.

These are reasons why when you do see folks who work outdoors for long periods of time - weeks, months even - that dainty automatic mechanical watches are less preferred when you can get a rugged quartz that puts up with far more. One user group is the military, where G Shock dominates the watch choices and Dive models are a distant second. They both have an outstanding reputation for service and durability.

Being the internet and because this is what we do, another watch would be the better choice over all the ones submitted. However, given the limited range, the Casio would be the better - however it wouldn't fare as well as a G Shock in hard outdoor use. Something along the lines of the GAX 100B-1A might suit better, tho. For the same money, it just does a lot more and does it better. https://www.amazon.com/G-Shock-GAX-100-G-Lide-Watches-Black/dp/B01ETNXHYO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1495422853&sr=8-1&keywords=casio+gax100b-1a

13. Andrew Suder

Andrew Suder Empty Pockets

I have 3 different Casio's, my current one I wear most of the time is my pathfinder PAW1500-1V. I have had it for a few years now and it takes a lot of abuse both at work and when I get into the wilds.

14. EightySixer

EightySixer Empty Pockets

I have never owned a Citizen but have read good things, I am wanting a field watch myself and like this one.
    http://www.jomashop.com/citizen-eco-drive-at0200-05e.html?utm_source=googleproduct&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=googleproductsearch&pt_source=googleads&pt_medium=cpc&pt_campaign=(ROI)+Shopping+-+Sale+Watches+$100+-+500&gclid=CjwKEAjwsLTJBRCvibaW9bGLtUESJAC4wKw1PM_bZlmpIPt7UG8Hgrf0XpADdGRAbZUvHl2TXHScERoCpd3w_wcB

I have I think three different G-Shocks also and a Withings Steel HR. The G-Shock are the toughest, I have assorted model 5600's (smaller square face, don't like the enormous round face) and have had them all for close to a decade. The Withings I wear everyday because it looks good in the office and casually, and I like constant HR monitoring and sleep tracking. i wouldn't recommend the withings for extremely rugged day to day though, for instance if I was still doing high voltage line work I wouldn't wear it (fact aside that you can not wear anything conductive anyhow, I still wouldn't wear it even if I was "allowed" to)

15. quietconundrum
    • In Omnia Paratus

quietconundrum EDC Junkie

I recently got a Casio PAG240T-7CR Pathfinder Titanium, and I absolutely love it. It is titanium, so it is super tough but barely weighs a thing and it charges exceptionally fast and holds the charge. I've been really impressed with all the additional features (digital compass, thermometer, barometer, etc). So far, the coating on the screen has seemed super durable and has resisted several incidents that would otherwise scratch a cheaper/lesser watch face. It is super comfortable and capable... very pleased.

YankeeHotelFoxtrot likes this.