1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Help Me Pick A New Copper Pen

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by JimboM, Feb 18, 2014.

1. JimboM

JimboM Empty Pockets

I currently use a Parker Jotter everyday at work and looking for something new.

Must haves:
    :Be one handed operation(clicky style-no tops)
    :Must be a copper body
    :At or under $120 if possible

Those are really my must haves. I work as a auto parts salesman and I'm scribbling notes and such pretty much all day long. My Jotter does the job ok but after awhile the tip will seem to become clogged up and start skipping or just completely quit writing such is a big pain in the butt when I'm in a hurry. If its a gel pen but takes a long time to dry once on the paper would be problem also. I'm not a pen enthusiast and don't have a ton of experience with all the different types so l'm looking for any and all info and opinions. Thanks!

2. trojansteel

trojansteel Loaded Pockets

Hinderer Copper Investigator

Err... maybe not clicky, but just leave it open??

SurvivePenna likes this.
  3. Cprrckwlf

Cprrckwlf Loaded Pockets

Copperpen.ch what I always call my "Swiss pen". It's made my caran d'arche, runs next to nothing, and is gorgeous.

4. bcWRX-02

bcWRX-02 Loaded Pockets

Karas Kustoms - retrakt or bolt, both available in copper, both under your price point. I don't own any of their products but would love to have a couple if I could justify that kind of cash for a pen.

5. DavyJ

DavyJ Loaded Pockets

Umm, it is not the pen that causing you issues JimboM, but the refill. There are other refills available, and they will be a cheaper option in the first instance. I would have a play with some before dropping a wad of cash on a different pen that takes the same refills. Unless you are really keen on spending! :D

mbick likes this.
  6. Cprrckwlf

Cprrckwlf Loaded Pockets

This is true.

I haven't tried the bolt, though I have tried just about every other copper pen I've been able to find including the retrakt. The retrakt is the only one I've sold. For any number of reasons it just didn't click mesh with me (though every one else, including the person I sold it to seems to love it). All that being said, if JimboM is going to be playing with refills, the retrakt spacer system is going to be the most flexible for that.

Less versatile, I still think the swiss pen is a far better pen for the money. The Caran d'ACHE goliath refill is good, if a little obscure but it has no issues with a Parker if you either shave 1-2mm off the back or just back the plunger off a 1/4 turn or so from all the way down. The Fishers (with or without the parker adapter) don't work all that well, though.

7. Win

Win Empty Pockets

Copperpen.ch looks like a good choice for someone moving from the Jotter, but the refill is 3.81". You might be able to mod the pen to take a Space Pen refill if you like Space Pen refills. Also, the ordering process for it seems kind of iffy for 2014. You have to email someone, and then what? Read your CC number over the phone?

I own the Retrakt. Honestly, I'm not a fan of the machining, and it has quite a bit of heft. I actually prefer Sunshine Product USA copper pen's smooth finish, but the Retrakt is the most versatile of everything mentioned in this thread. It takes Parker refills, Pilot G2 refills, Pilot Hi-Tec-C Cavalier refills, and OHTO Ceramic Roller refills. That last refill is amazing by the way. These are just the refills I've tried. They're pretty standard sizes.

Also, honestly, even though it's above your budget and not copper, I'd also recommend the maxmadco bronze pen. It is a copper-alloy and takes a nice patina. It's just incredibly well made and has an addictive method of one handed operation. I put the Parker-style OHTO gel needle tip refill in it, and it works perfectly.

8. Cprrckwlf

Cprrckwlf Loaded Pockets

When I bought my copperpen (in 2012) I sent an e-mail asking if it would be possible to get one to the States. Got a very nice e-mail back saying yes, this is what the pen costs, this is what shipping is, here is a paypal address, and here are a couple of other ways to pay if you prefer. Other than the other ways to pay bit, not really any different from a forum sale ;). Except, I now see there is a US Distributor (although their price is quite a bit higher than what I remember paying).

9. SeattleSparky

SeattleSparky Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]Not a "Clicky" but a "twisty"!!!!! great pen!

10. Win

Win Empty Pockets

A month ago I contacted the distributor, and I got an email saying it was $89.99 and to call a rep at a given number. I forgot/was too lazy to follow up with a call. If I had just gotten a PayPal address I might have made the purchase that day. It's too bad. It's not hard to put a PayPal button on your site. It's just a matter of copying and pasting code. How much was shipping from Switzerland?

11. Cprrckwlf

Cprrckwlf Loaded Pockets

5 Euros

12. psrivats

psrivats Empty Pockets

Who makes this pen? Looks awesome.

13. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips Loaded Pockets

Google Retro 51 Lincoln ;)