1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Help me pick a jacket that is comparable to or better than US Mil Goretex parkas

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by hannism, Dec 26, 2010.

1. hannism

hannism Loaded Pockets

I was in the Air Force a while back, and I had a Gen 1 Gore-Tex parka, that was comfortable and did the job with wind/water/cold protection.

That was several years ago, and I'm looking for a parka, that has a nice hood, and protects against wind/water/cold. Also, I want something that isn't in camo so I won't draw any attention to myself.

Is Gore-Tex still the way to go? Or is there something better to look for? What companies should I look at (North Face)?

2. themadplumbarian

themadplumbarian Loaded Pockets

3. vivek16

vivek16 Loaded Pockets

I have been using an m65 for a few months now as a winter jacket and it will keep you warm. It is heavier than goretex so I'll wait for others to chime in.

You should make sure you get the m51 hood attachment if you do go with an m65.

4. hatchetjack

hatchetjack EDC Junkie!!!!!

Look at the Patagonia MARS Dimension. It is not insulated but a light fleece will round it out in cold weather. The hood is huge to accomodate helmets but has a drawstring to adjust. I live in the Seattle area and it has kept me dry for 2 seasons. I add an extral layer when the temps dip below freezing.

http://iacmc.forumotion.com/t2734-patagonia-mars-level-5-jacket

5. themadplumbarian

I just came in from shoveling and snow blowing, we got 14" of snow, its 12deg and the winds are 15-25, with 40mph gusts, all i can say is im beat, i wore a pair of jeans over sweats, with a t-shirt, regular shoes and socks, my m-65 and those cheesy stretch gloves.. im roasting and i was out for 3hrs! those winds didn't cut threw the jacket at all, my cheeks are a little rosy but that's from taking the hood on and off. well worth it! JR

6. hannism

hannism Loaded Pockets

Did you scotchguard the m65 jacket? When I had my M65 back in the military, I remember it being a good jacket. But, I don't remember it protecting me from the wind very well. I felt the wind rip right through me. But, then again, I didn't treat my M65.

7. themadplumbarian

nope, its the way i got it. i have the liner in it, but ill tell you today's been the worse day from when i got it, the winds were honorably, i had to turn so that the wind didn't hit me in the face, but you could feel the wind hitting against the back making ripples across the jacket, but nothing came threw. i might have got a little up draft since the bottom was open, but that's it, nothing to chill.. JR

8. Chicken714

Chicken714 Empty Pockets

I for one have to say that every time I don the AF gore-tex parka, I loath it. I can't help but think to myself, any of my civy gore-tex's are designed about 100 times better than this. Now, that being said, the newest "ABU" one is the best iteration yet. A BDU style gore-tex should be easy to find, and will keep you dry, but any other features of it I despise.

Funny that the M65 was mentioned, I have two Columbia jackets that to me in a few ways mimic the M65, just newer materials and fits better. (and pit zips).

North Face makes great stuff. Also check this guy out: http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=750834&destination=/catalog/product.jsp%3FproductId%3D726977%26type%3Dproduct%26WT.tsrc%3DCSE%26WT.mc_id%3Dnextag%26WT.z_mc_id1%3D726977%26rid%3D40%26mr:referralID%3Da9f52561-123b-11e0-b21a-001b2166c2c0

Question is, what is your price range and what features are you looking for?

9. hannism

hannism Loaded Pockets

I went to the local surplus store today, and saw gore-tex parkas for $65, and M65 field jackets for $25. the M65s are in camo or desert camo only. But, for the price, it's not such a bad buy. I might buy one up and take it on a hike next month. I tried the Gore-Tex parka, and I discovered it's not comfortable at all. Chicken714, you are on the money, and now, I'm wondering what I saw in that thing.

The Cabelas jacket has a lot of promise. I'm also thinking of possibly getting a Patagonia Storm Jacket.

My strategy for now is probably to just buy an inexpensive M65, and it'll get me by. Once spring/summer comes by, I think I might try to buy a really good jacket for less. I think now, I want it all. Something that looks good, is comfortable, protects against wind/rain/cold and doesn't draw too much attention.

10. Chicken714

Chicken714 Empty Pockets

Although I do like the m65, wore my dad's old one all the way through middle school and my freshman year of high school, tons of camping and hiking trips, even skied in it once, that was before I was able to afford a decent shell. I lived in CO, where is rarely rains much. If you are planing on seeing much precip or wind, I would caution against it, and say go for the Gore-Tex. If you live some where with almost no rain, then I'd say go for it.