1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Help me pick a CCW bag?!

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by amacman, Jan 10, 2020.

1. amacman
    • In Omnia Paratus

amacman Loaded Pockets

Hi all, Im a long time member back after a long absence and looking for a new bag.

Here's what's up: First off, I have a specific reason for the bag. I have CCW'd for years, trained a lot and shot IDPA, I'm not a fan of off body carry in general, but I have specific circumstances. Im a bigger guy, and the only on-body that has ever worked, is a strong side pancake holster(right handed), these days filled with a full sized 1911. BUT, I am now adjusting to life with a very bad left knee, and will be using a cane on my strong side. Early attempts at strong side carry with the cane have not gone well, the cane or my arm is always interfering with the gun. I may still pocket carry a .380, but I want a better solution for a full sized gun, so Im looking at a cross-body bag setup. I have a right sided Maxpedition Fatboy verispack, that almost works ok on my left, but its a bit clunky. Im hoping for something that cants the weapon access towards my strong side more-perhaps even with access thru the right side instead of the top. An outside pocket for 30-40 oz water bottle, a tablet, couple of spare mags, maybe a light and assorted small admin stuff would be the other contents. I'm a bit drawn to the 5.11 2 banger, and covrt satchel. Noting more tactical than solid black, would prefer grey or even a blue, "grey man" carry preferred. How does the 5.11 push series work cross body?

Suggestions?

#1 amacman, Jan 10, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
  2. demPho

demPho Loaded Pockets

Take a look at the Vertx lineup. There may be one that fits your needs. Possibly the Essentials bag. Their CCW compartment and holster accessories are awesome. You can basically position your firearm however you want. Here's my Tourist bag from Vertx. It lacks the water bottle pocket that the Essentials bag has. Though I have carried a 16oz hydroflask horizontally in the main compartment riding on top of the Daka Pouch IFAK.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

3. amacman
    • In Omnia Paratus

amacman Loaded Pockets

I assume the CCW area is the back of the pack? Is it zippered access or pull open? If its a zipper and being carried cross body with bag on left, does the zipper travel from right to left so the weak hand can pull the zipper as part of the draw process?

4. demPho

demPho Loaded Pockets

Yes, CCW pouch is rear most pouch. They are a full open, double zipper design with a large rubber pull tab for fast access. The pull tab can be put on either of the two zippers depending on your carry method and desired draw stroke.

In my case, I carry the bag over my left shoulder, hanging on my right. The pull tab is on the rear zipper, positioned at the front of the bag.

My draw stroke: grab pull tab and use it to pull the bag around in front. Using the momentum of the bag, rip the pull tab to the right to open the bag. At this point, the bag is positioned such that my draw is much like a draw from appendix position.

There's bound to be some videos of this floating around.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

amacman likes this.
  5. Andrew Suder

Andrew Suder Loaded Pockets

Always check out the VIKTOS upscale sling ccw bag. Purpose built for CCW, workmanship is superb, and made from 500D cordura. Its also designed by veterans and made in the USA which are bonus points in my book. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk