1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Help me pick a 5.11 bag in a hurry!

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by tinyblob, Sep 3, 2014.

1. tinyblob

tinyblob Loaded Pockets

Hi folks! Today I received my first 5.11 bag after a week of stressful decision making and forum scouring. I think I've made the wrong decision and I've got a few days to remedy the situation before going off on a trip.

My daily carry is a Belkin Evo laptop backpack (I don't know the rules for posting images here at the moment, but google will point you in the right direction) which I use to port an 11" Macbook Air, a bunch of cables (I work in IT), generally a portable games console, pair of shorts, spare t-shirt and a book. I'm sick of the bag, have bad shoulder pain and have been getting "acne mechanica" from the shoulder straps. It's got to go.

I want to get a 5.11 bag that'll do my daily commute, but that I'll be able to add a couple of changes of clothes for weekend visits, and I need to do it in the next few days!

I ordered a Rush 24 because it seemed to be approximately the same size as the Belkin that I'm used to. It arrived today and I'm not keen. Things I don't like about it:
    • Seems very large compared to what I'm used to. Main internal area is just a big space - which must be great for camping, but not so great for a daily commute as I'd love to have some pouches etc. It's also a big rectangular thing, I'm used to something a bit more... pear shaped.
    • My 11" laptop is way too small for the drawstring bit in the main pocket, and wouldn't be protected at all in the bag. It fits great in the water carrier, but it'd be nice to have options.
    • The zippers on the front admin area seem to stick a lot.
    • It doesn't open up clamshell style.
    • The chest belt on the straps isn't removable.
    The All Hazards Prime seems to remedy most of these points, but I really can't tell what I'd make of the size. I'm 6'2 and broadly built, but I have a long term shoulder problem and I'm not used to carrying a large bag - especially not a large "tactical" bag. I do like the look a lot, it seems to be more "pear shaped". The beavertail part seems like it could take a pair of shoes when I leave the gym too - so that's appealing. But I wish you didn't have to unclip it to open the other sections. I also don't know how well it'd cope with a small laptop.

The Nitro version is appealing, but perhaps it's too small? I've seen comments on the Rush 12 stating that at my height it'd ride too high and would not be comfortable. Seems like the Nitro and Rush 12 are a similar size.

My outsider thought is the Moab 10. Since I have an issue with my left shoulder it seems like having a sling bag could be useful. No strain on that shoulder. But I've never used one and it could be a large gamble.

In case you're thinking "just go to a store and try them all!" - no such luck here in Scotland. I've never even seen one in the wild, let alone in a store.

I'd appreciate any words of wisdom, recommendations or photos.
    Thanks!

2. theurbanoutdoorsmen

theurbanoutdoorsmen Empty Pockets

I originally got a Moab 10 last year after lurking the forums and found it to be a wonderful size and well organized. After a while I felt that it was actually a bit large to be a sling bag and wasn't so comfortable and literally became a pain in the neck. After seeing an R12 in a local sporting goods store I realized they are actually very similar in size with the R12 being slightly wider and the main compartment having better organization. I refrained from purchasing the R24 for the same reason you dislike it and I am glad I did. I sold the moab10 about 2 months ago and haven't looked back. If you are set on 5.11 products then you may want to take a gamble on the R12. For full disclosure I am partial to somewhat small bags and I carry a Kelty Watts most days I'm not at work and am quite satisfied.

atilano likes this.
  3. Lostdad

Lostdad Loaded Pockets

What about the triab 18?
    - open as a clamshell
    - pear shaped
    - smaller than the 24 but bigger than the 12
    - the hydration compartment would fit your macbook.
    You should watch reviews on it.

4. Ile

Ile Loaded Pockets

Vote for Triab 18 here too,could be right choice for you.

5. Stonerman33
    • In Omnia Paratus

Stonerman33 Loaded Pockets

Covert 18 worth a look, as well.

TX expat likes this.
  6. glockguy110

glockguy110 Loaded Pockets

I have carried the rush24 for 2 years and I love it it is a bigger pack but its only as big as you pack it

7. mtngoat

mtngoat Loaded Pockets

I have a brand new Covrt 18 I am trying to get rid of, its a good size bag, I just didnt like the front pocket on it. I would be up for a trade. I only carried it for about 5 days and it come with an extra sternum strap. If your intrested.