1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Help me make a choice

Discussion in 'Knives' started by enki_ck, May 4, 2010.

1. enki_ck

enki_ck Loaded Pockets

[FONT=&quot]I'm looking for a nice folder that I can use in front of non knife people. So a gentleman’s folder should be in order. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]A few knifes I've been considering.

[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Kershaw Chill [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Byrd Cara Cara [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]CRKT Drifter [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Kershaw OSO SWEET [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Doctors Knife (Buck Creek, German Bull, S&W, Schrade, Frost Cutlery, Rough Rider,...) [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]I work in school/office and occasionally go to court so no hard or tactical use needed. It could get me in some unneeded trouble if I forget to leave it in the car and get in trouble with the security personal. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    Now I'm looking for some thoughts of you good people on these knifes, what are the pros/cons, personal experience. The laws here are no problem, just no spring loaded knives.[/FONT]

2. tonester

tonester Loaded Pockets

i think a Doctors Knife would be your best bet. i have a Queen canoe and it never gets any attention when i carry it. i think any medium or smaller sized slip joint would be a good choice.

3. Simsmac0o

Simsmac0o Loaded Pockets

Doctors knives look the least threatening to me. The rest of the models you chose could look somewhat "big and scary" to non-knife people, mostly because of the black handles (except for the Cara Cara SS, it's just big). I hear that the Spyderco Cricket is often seen as a "cute" knife by NKP, so maybe you should check that model out.

4. Daywalker
    • In Omnia Paratus

Daywalker EDC Junkie!!!

Aloha enki_ck,

I would also suggest the Boker Plus SubCom folder and all it's many variants. Blade is just about 2" on these, and they make a great money clip. If ya wanna go smaller, there is the KeyCom folder. I can actually "get away with" a lot of cutting chores with just this one knife on a daily basis...
    The KeyCom:
    [​IMG]

Just to get an idea of the KeyCom's size, here it is on my freestyle bike's pedal:
    [​IMG]

Don't let the size of either the SubCom or the KeyCom fool you...they are VERY non-knife user friendly, AND they get the job done. Trust me...

5. urbanSamurai

urbanSamurai Loaded Pockets

I carry a SubCom but I think it also can look threatening to non-knife people, especially if you do a flashy one-hand open. If you go with a folder, I would make a point of always using two hands to open it or open it slowly so as to not look menacing.

IMO, a SAK or slipjoint would be the most non-threatening.

6. Simsmac0o

Simsmac0o Loaded Pockets

I agree. You're going to have to sacrifice some functionality to get a perfectly non-threatening knife.

7. GRIFFINHAWKS

GRIFFINHAWKS Banned

I couldn't agree with you more !
    A SAK is always a good knife to take out in any crowd ,)
    They are sharp, reliable, and have an excellent warranty !
    Not to mention the limitless optionals ,)

BE WELL .. GH

8. Daywalker
    • In Omnia Paratus

Daywalker EDC Junkie!!!

Mahalo urbanSamurai,

Hmmmm...what SubCom you carrying, the 'Claw? ;-) Usually, the SubClaw is the only variant that folks find..."threatening".
    Anyway, I agree with you regarding the S-L-O-W opening method.

God bless and thanks!

9. enki_ck

enki_ck Loaded Pockets

I already carry a SAK, have been for years, and love them. I'm looking for a knife alone, with a bit more reach then a SAK, and a decent blade that can hold an edge. I kind of liked the cheap sanrenmu 718 knife but can't find it anywere [​IMG]
    The subcom, warcom,... I never liked, don't like the design, to broad, to bulky

sXeBLADE likes this.
  10. GRIFFINHAWKS

GRIFFINHAWKS Banned

You might try one of these ? I am told they are very durable and with out a doubt Timeless in design ,)
    http://www.garrettwade.com/product.asp?pn=12T01.01&bhcd2=1273007282

BE WELL .. GH

11. Daywalker
    • In Omnia Paratus

Daywalker EDC Junkie!!!

Aloha enki_ck,

Ouch!!!

Maybeone of these: http://www.boker.de/us/search/114711-trapperliner-0-9999-0-0.html

God bless!

12. Byrd2000

Byrd2000 Loaded Pockets

I agree that the Cara Cara would be too big. I would suggest one of Bokers Subcoms or even Spyderco's Poliwog. It's made of good steel and is pretty small. Plus the ball-bearing lock is pretty neat.

13. sveqs

sveqs Loaded Pockets

or, in the same spirit, an Opinel? they come in different lengths, carbon or stainless blade, thin or regular handle
    they look like grandpa's knives, are razor sharp, and cost next to nothing

14. enki_ck

enki_ck Loaded Pockets

never heard of those, looks interesting, while searching it, i came accross a similar lockback german design "Mercator K55K" http://www.otter-messer.de/product_info.php/info/p107_Mercator-gro--10-426rg-R--Rostfrei.html Does anyone know anithing more about these?

I'm starting to lean towards the slipjoints. The doctors knife seems apealing. Does anyone know how the backsprings on the Rough Rider or Smith&Wesson stand the test of time, do they get loose, is there any bladeplay. My favorite is the Buck Creek. [​IMG]

15. urbanSamurai

I'm an IDIOT! LOL! I don't carry a subcom. I carry a Boker Plus:

[​IMG]

Even though it's smallish, people still seem to raise an eyebrow when I do a quick open.

You want the extra reach for... self defense? The pic you posted is really cool but, I think, may look too much like a weapon (like a stiletto or shiv) for those "not in the know". It's always funny how non-knife people react to things.

My wife and I met friends at a vineyard for some wine tasting. We were all sharing bottles in the picnic area and I took out an ugly fishing knife I found to cut some salami. The blade spine was thin, the whole thing was a shiny, shiny stainless, the handle was a beat-up wood that looked like plywood, but it had a big belly. To me, it's a kitchen knife and I use it regularly to cut cheese or trim meat or fish. Our friend's husband, however, took one look and exclaimed, "Holy cow! What a knife!"

I think that a good bet would be to seek things that look less tactical. Maybe stuff with nice wood handles or even stainless. Anything that looks more genteel or posh will go over better as people will see the handle more than the blade. Good luck!

16. urbanSamurai

This one looks like a good choice. My previous comment was referring to the sanremu. Cheers!

17. primal

primal Loaded Pockets

The Sanrenmu 718 is hard to find. A Sanrenmu that might come close is the Sanrenmu GB-704. It's on eBay, here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/SANRENMU-SRM-High-Quality-Steel-Folding-Knife-GB-704-/180479214589?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a056643fd

However, if you're okay with Black, you can get it much cheaper, here:

http://www.focalprice.com/HT291B/Folded_Knife_Black.html

At $6.74 total (shipping's free), you can't go wrong, at least to try it out.

Hope this helps.

18. primal

primal Loaded Pockets

Hate following up on my own post, but I forgot to suggest the Sanrenmu AO-H02.

It has a different look to it, and it is smaller in length, but it is a sleek model.

One's currently up for bid on eBay, here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/SANRENMU-SRM-High-Quality-Steel-Folding-Knife-AO-H02-/180503403390?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a06d75b7e

However, if bidding goes up (it has in the past), it would cost more.

But, they may come out cheaper elsewhere if you buy a few, like here:

http://www.exduct.com/SRM-Knife-Gifts/AOH02-SRM-Folding-Knife.html?keyword=knife

http://www.kaidomain.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductId=9410

I bought 3 from exduct in the past. Shipping was cheap & fast. Overall, a good deal. But, if you only want one, kaidomain may be the better option. I haven't purchased from kaidomain though, so I don't know how they roll.

If you catch the bidding at the right time, maybe the eBay deal would be okay. I have purchased from this eBay seller. Shipping takes around 15 days.

The H02 is a cutie.

Okay, I'm done.

19. J.Miracle

J.Miracle Empty Pockets

go with the cara cara

20. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Another vote for the traditional Doctor's Knife pattern.

Since you'll be using it in front of non-knife folks, a traditional pattern is your best bet. You'll still get at least one ignorant fool who'll think it's a weapon, but the average non-knife person is thankfully not that horrifically hoplophobic.

Consider also a traditional Swiss Army Knife as well. The Executive model is bigger than a Classic, has some nice tools, and like a Doctor's Knife; it won't scare adults who really should know better but sadly don't.