1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Help Me ID This Vintage Seiko

Discussion in 'Watches' started by ATF, Dec 7, 2013.

1. ATF

ATF Loaded Pockets

2. Evilbunny

Evilbunny Loaded Pockets

Found two on the ebay thats the only thing I could find on it one was going for $45 and the other $19.44 also found a parts price list. Brand: SEIKO a
    - Style: Dress
    - Band Material: Stainless & Plated Metal
    - Movement: Mechanical: Hand-winding
    - Display: Analog
    - Model: 1100-5319

ATF and Cprrckwlf like this.
  3. Cprrckwlf

Cprrckwlf Loaded Pockets

Very nicely done @Evilbunny to add what little knowledge I can:
    It's powered by a Seiko 11a (the 1100 in the model number),

The 11a came in 17 jewel and 21 jewel flavors. As your watch is base metal, yours will almost certainly be the 17j version; the 21j being the higher end movement. Technology/engineering wise the 11a looks like pretty much any other small hand-wind women's movement post WWII to the 70s. These however, were a little more robust than most, as the 17j has a couple of chatons (little gold rings the jewel bearings sometimes sit in) on staffs you don't normally see. The 21j had some extra shock absorbers. Doesn't necessarily make them more accurate, just more resilient.

Finally, your watch was made in June of 1959.

ATF and Evilbunny like this.
  4. ATF

ATF Loaded Pockets

Wow, thank you both! I found this at an estate sale and all I was told was that this is a 17 jewel ladies watch made by (obviously) Seiko. Also, I only paid $5 for the watch and case -- looks like I could make a reasonable profit. CPRRCKWLF: How did you get June of '59?

5. Cprrckwlf

Cprrckwlf Loaded Pockets

Built in to the serial number, once you know the movement. 1st digit is year within the decade it was made -- the 11a being a 1950s movement, so 9=1959 (this goes wonky if a movement has a run spanning decades). 2nd digit is straightforward 1-9 for Jan-Sep, 0 (zero) for Oct, N and D for Nov and Dec. After that you've got the production number, which resets to 0000 each month. Yours was the 95th watch Seiko put out in June of '59.

I can't take credit -- there was a website with a calculator and a huge number of pictures of watches from a guy, Jayhawk, some years ago. The website is gone but the calculator and DB information it uses remain in an excel spreadsheet. It isn't the easiest thing to find a copy of, but it isn't all that hard either. If you want it and can't pull it let me know, and I'll shoot you a copy, though I'd rather not get into the fileserver business.

$5 is a fine price, but you may have trouble turning a profit for a few reasons:
    --The big one is that there is almost no demand for Women's watches
    --Less demand for gold/gold colored watches than there has been in a long time
    --watch is base metal, and not actually precious
    --servicing the watch (if it can be serviced -- there may not be parts, and those old snapbacks don't always close back up) will far exceed the value of the watch
    --condition is king, clearly you don't need to worry about the externals, but the internals haven't been seen

I know it isn't offsetting costs of anything else, but if it is running you might consider just gifting it to a younger daughter or neice or what have you (or even if it doesn't run, it would be a pretty piece of costume jewelry). It may not actually be worth the trouble to list it.

Whatever you decide, best of luck with it.

ATF likes this.