1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Help me find a thin .357 Sig

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by Rogerschrisj, Jun 3, 2013.

1. Rogerschrisj

Rogerschrisj Loaded Pockets

I was talking to guy at work today and he asked me if I knew of I slim automatic pistol. The only thing that came to mind was the Coonan. He doesn't want to spend more than 600 bucks though. Any suggestions

2. freedoom

freedoom Loaded Pockets

There are too few guns that are chambered in 357 Sig. I'd recommend just getting an S&W Shield in 40. i got mine for $500

3. amacman
    • In Omnia Paratus

amacman Loaded Pockets

Are you looking for a .357 sig auto, or a .357 magnum auto? The Coonan is a .357 mag, it basically a 1911, so it is fairly slim.

If he is looking for .357 sig on a shoe string budget, find a used Glock .40 (like a police trade in G22) and get a .357 sig barrel for it. The magazines and everything else are the same, since the .357 sig is just a .40 necked down to 9mm.

But (at risk of stirring up a caliber debate) .357 Sig is almost pointless for most applications. Its pushing a 9mm a little bit faster than some of the hotter +p+ loads, but doing it at lower magazine capacity, higher cost, and more complicated reloading. The only thing I would consider choosing it for is a fun or competition gun using a compensator. SInce the higher gas volume would make a the compensator more effective.

4. jcrowder

jcrowder Loaded Pockets

Sig P239 in .357 Sig.

I carried one in .40 for awhile. Thin and comfortable.

5. Rogerschrisj

Rogerschrisj Loaded Pockets

He's looking for a .357sig. I showed him a khar, shield, and Walther. He liked them all due to their thickness ( or lack of thickness). But, he won't budge on his cartridge choice. The glock is too thick.

6. Matthew03

Matthew03 Loaded Pockets

I don't think Walther makes the PPS in .357 Sig, but there may be a conversion Bbl. out there for it. The PPS is about as thin as you are going to get.

7. lordhamster

lordhamster Loaded Pockets

This. It isn't thinner on paper than a glock, but it carries thinner and is thinner in the grip especially with the g10 grips from hogue.

That said, I ope someone makes an aftermarket 357 sig barrel for my shield 40

8. zeke4351

zeke4351 Loaded Pockets

Sounds like this guy has done his home work on the .357 Sig. If he shoots the load as it was designed by Federal and Sig(125 grain at 1450fps) it is not a hot 9mm as some people claim. The watered down ammo a lot of people use is same as a 9mm. The Underwood brand .357 Sig ammo will test out at over 1500 fps. Like the 10mm full power loads the .357 Sig has too much recoil for a lot of people. Google .357 Sig wound and look at the picture that is posted on one of the gun forums. The Secret Service uses the .357Sig to protect the President for good reason.

9. Mudinyeri

Mudinyeri Loaded Pockets

Just out of curiosity ... why .357 SIG?

10. cowsmilk

cowsmilk EDC Junkie!!!!!

This is one of the reasons I have a 357sig conversion kit for my Sig p250. I bought the gun chambered in 9mm as that is what they had. I will likely look for a .40cal barrel as well, eventually. I like the capability to shoot what is available. 357sig can be hard to get, though. I do like the caliber with the p250.

And on that note, has your friend considered a Sig P250 in compact or subcompact?

11. grayman

grayman Loaded Pockets

I sold a G31 I had won at an IDPA match to my neighbor once. One night when I was on the phone with my brother un in Kansas City I hear a knock at the front door. I opened it to find my neighbor holding his left hand wrapped in a towel. He looks at me and says, "call 911 I just shot my hand." I stared for a minute and he followed up with, "call 911 I just shot my f@!&ing hand. He then turns and runs back next door. So I hang with my brother and walk next door while calling for an ambulance. When I get there, my neighbor is holding his hand laying over his bar in the kitchen (picture I giant open floor plan with a kitchen in the corner with a chest high bar separating the kitchen from the living area. I asked him what happened and he told me he was unloading the pistol like he does everyday, and dropped the slide on his hand like he always does to cushion the slide going into battery. And then, he pulled the trigger to release the striker like he always does while inspecting the pistol. So he had inadvertantly unloaded the gun, put the full magazine in, unknowingly chambered a round and fired the pistol into the first knuckle of his left index finger. The 125gr. hollow point pulverized his knuckle, went through one layer of sheetrock, two pieces of plywood and one layer of shingles and kept going.

I asked him how bad it could be, the towel wasn't bloody. He unwrapped it and showed me and I clearly saw bone, but it also looked fake. It wasn't until I looked on the other side of the bar where he always stands and the incident happened that I saw blood everywhere. It looked like someone had taken a gallon jug of Pace Salsa from Sam's Club and flung it everywhere. I unloaded the gun, correctly and place it on the bar in time for the paramedics and the police to show up. Hey hauled him off to the hospital and I told the cops what he told me. Needless to say, his nickname is Four Finger Dave.

I know it's a long story and probably not quite on topic, but it is about the .357 Sig and its awesome performance. On a side note, I just knew I would be able to buy that pistol back from him for pennies on the dollar, but he still carries it everyday.

12. UnlikelyEngineer

UnlikelyEngineer Loaded Pockets

If taxpayers paid for my ammo, I'd use 357 Sig too... :rolleyes:

BubbaFett, In_The_Pitt and ShadowE like this.
  13. 11C1P
    • In Omnia Paratus

11C1P Loaded Pockets

You could use the gallery of guns dot com gun genie. Just select the 357 sig caliber with no other preferences and it will list all the guns in 357 sig, at least most of them, there are a few companies not on their site.

Edit: It only lists Springfields and Glocks in 357sig, but that is for my zip code, maybe yours will list more.

14. WruceBillis

WruceBillis Loaded Pockets

Tell him to buy a 9mm and shoot some +P+ hot shooting submachine gun ammunition.

In_The_Pitt and thekapow like this.
  15. ClangClang

ClangClang Loaded Pockets

Seriously? My mouth just sorta hung open when I read that. I suppose he would routinely put his hand in front of the muzzle to cushion it when he was shooting at the range as well.

(Note the dripping sarcasm. New gun owners: you DON'T NEED TO "CUSHION" THE SLIDE WHEN DROPPING IT. It hits way harder every time you pull the trigger. It was designed to.)

In_The_Pitt likes this.
  16. Matthew03

Matthew03 Loaded Pockets

^^^
    That isn't necissarily true, when the slide is closing on an semi-auto it is designed to feed a round. Closing a slide on an empty chamber has less resistance and more force applied to the mechanism and contact surfaces. Some guns are more succeptable to damage by dropping the slide, like the 1911's, BHP's/P-35, etc. especially tuned guns.

More than likely doing so on occasion won't damage the gun, but it is not a practice that should be common. Then again neither should putting one's hand or anything else in front of the muzzle. Ease a slide forward on an empty chamber.

17. JHGM

JHGM Dinosaur Supervisor

^^^

This is why I do not like .357sig outside of a war zone...

18. 11C1P
    • In Omnia Paratus

11C1P Loaded Pockets

The more I think about this, I just wonder how thin of a gun he thinks he can get in .357sig? While the bullet it shoots is thin like the 9mm, the case widens out to that of a .40, so he won't be able to get a gun as thin as you can find in 9mm or .380. He said the Glock is too wide for him at 1.18 inches. The 357sig/.40 case widens out to .424 inches leaving .756 inches, put half of that on either side of the round and you get .378inches of gun around it. Really not a whole lot to trim down there, maybe less than 1/8th" total? Taking into account the few options in 357sig it would seem he would either have to accept the thickness of something like the Glock or move to a 9mm or .380 especially if he doesn't want to go over $600.

In_The_Pitt likes this.
  19. grayman

grayman Loaded Pockets

Its complacency....and it got he better of him.

20. thekapow

thekapow EDC Junkie!!!!!

Isn't the primer of dedicated sub ammunition often too hard/stiff to shoot reliable in a handgun?