1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Help me find a (small, non backpack) EDC bag!

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by Coolbreeze135, Apr 13, 2016.

1. Coolbreeze135

Coolbreeze135 Empty Pockets

Hey folks! I've been lurking for a while, but finally decided to become a member so I could participate in discussion.

For a while I've been searching for an EDC bag. This is made particularly difficult by the combination of features I'm looking for. I hoped that some pooled brain power might help me out!

What I want is:
    • A small bag (not a backpack!), with just enough room for some daily essentials. No more than 10 or 12 liters in volume.
    • Non tactical. This one makes it tough. I want something that doesn't have MOLLE or velcro all over the outside.
    • Lots of organization. For EDC, I'm not interested in a bag that is essentially 1 or 2 big pouches. I like compartments, sleeves, pockets, etc...
    • Affordable. I don't want to spend $100 on a pack this size.
    So far, I am leaning towards one of the smaller timbuk2 messenger bags, but I would love to hear other suggestions!

Drew Whitehead likes this.
  2. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

I moved from smaller TB2 messenger bags over to the Minimass/Black Hole Mini Messenger a few years ago. Meets all your requirements. Lots of internal organization (pockets - 3 outside, 12 inside), and covers tidy briefcase through hiking backpack for me.

3. Coolbreeze135

Thanks! I looked at the minimass. Honestly, I just don't like any of the color options. [EDIT: I actually like the "ash tan", but cant seem to find it available anywhere.] Since it will be an "around town" bag, that is a dealbreaker for me. I want to stick to neutral colors, nothing bright. This is the one I was looking at, which is a good color for me.

[​IMG]

Last edited by Coolbreeze135, Apr 13, 2016
  4. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

Guess the straight flat black/grey Cordura version is not neutral enough? Welp, bags do tend to be half fashion, so to each his own.... perhaps some one else can help you.

5. Coolbreeze135

Well, the black is okay. Just not my ideal. I'm just searching for options before I put my money anywhere.

6. steeps

steeps Loaded Pockets

Have you looked at the Tom Bihn Co-Pilot or Pilot? They are a little more than your budget but they're worth it. I have both.

7. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Agree I have both too and they have been a goto bag for this since arriving for me.

8. Coolbreeze135

Ad far as Tom Bihn goes, the medium cafe bag is actually a lot closer to what I want.

9. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I thought the Pilots have more organization that you said you need?
    Also worth mentioning is that I have found mine on Ebay well within your budget.

10. Coolbreeze135

I was looking at the cafe bag pus the Freudian slip, which would give it lots of organization. It seems to be slim and low profile, which I also like.

11. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Makes sense but the slip also takes room on an already small bag I bet and drives the price higher too.

Great bags though and hard to go wrong with any Bihn.

Coolbreeze135 likes this.
  12. Coolbreeze135

It does drive the price higher. The copilot and the cafe bag plus organizer look pretty good, but I'm not sure either one is exactly what I want. Thanks for the suggestions so far!

13. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

The other bag I have been using non stop since getting is the Hazard4 Kaito.
    It is a Man Purse so there is that! But it is also crazy handy and organized and well made too.

I carry a 11" Macbook,iPad Mini and all sorts of cables and adapters and tools and other crap in it and it is just a great and handy size and my favorite Purse so far overall?

Just another one to think about.

14. panzer

panzer Loaded Pockets

The Kato is a nice option for smaller bag but big enough to carry tablets

15. HardToHandle

HardToHandle Loaded Pockets

Unobtanium perhaps? I say this as I had similar desires but do not have a complete answer. I looked hard at the Timbuk2 and Blackhole bags initially, but went with something more svelte and lightweight.

I use a Combat Flip Flops Claymore Bag to fill a similar need to the OP. Very minimalist is design and may not reach your desires due to having a total of three pockets. However, the Claymore bag has interior MOLLE and Velcro lining to allow customization. Customizable will allow use add a slew of organization, just at higher price point for additional pouches.

Very lightweight due to ripstop nylon and the now-replaced narrow shoulder strap was uncomfortable at much above five pounds/kilo and a half. I replaced the original strap and can carry seven-eight pounds comfortably.

Several colors that are understated but no painfully tactical. I did have a retired Army Colonel give me a "nice claymore bag" comment but that was due to this guy being dialed in.

Cost is usually $75-100 but I think I picked one up from Weapon Outfitters for $60. I gave my brother one as a gift because it just fit the minimalist need well.

16. Peruvian

Peruvian Loaded Pockets

You might like:

* Waterfield Designs Indy Bag
    * Tumi Alpha Beale Crossbody
    * Saddleback Leather Small/Medium Satchel

Good luck

Sasawat and Davidka like this.
  17. tmgplc

tmgplc Loaded Pockets

Check out the Red Oxx Gator. I love mine. It is a little higher price point ($125 I think) but built like a tank and made in the USA.

18. RAMBOCAT

RAMBOCAT Loaded Pockets

I found this on AMAZON ; found it to be very interesting; especially applicable to "GRAY MAN" applications. Kalevel Cool Outdoor Sports Casual Canvas Unbalance Crossbody Sling Bag. It's a for sure cheapo, but I really like mine and have bought several more for all my cars and my adult children's cars. The best part is that come in different sizes and cost only $15 or less, depending on size.

19. Coolbreeze135

Quick update. I looked at several options, before finding the Timbuk2 medium classic messenger bag for a steal. I would have preferred the small, but I think this will do just fine. Thanks to everyone who gave suggestions.

brockster likes this.
  20. Sloman

Sloman Loaded Pockets

Post a pic of your new Timbuk2!

brockster likes this.