1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Help me find a sheath for my surge

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by severdhed, Feb 2, 2018.

1. severdhed

severdhed Loaded Pockets

I love my Leatherman surge, and i'm currently carrying it in the leather sheath that it came with. I'm fairly happy with this sheath, but I recently picked up the bit kit and it does not fit in this sheath. I don't want anything large or bulky, i'm looking for something as small as possible that can hold my surge, both bit kit pieces, the saw blades and I do like the elastic straps on the side to hold a pen or sharpie.

i'd prefer snap closure over Velcro, but it isn't a deal breaker.

what are some good options?

chaosmagnet likes this.
  2. That Movie Guy

That Movie Guy Loaded Pockets

Can't go wrong with a Skinth!

chaosmagnet likes this.
  3. marsos52

marsos52 Loaded Pockets

yea the Skinth is awesome I have two..

also search on Ebay Leatherman surge sheath

the kydex sheathes are on the larger side but there are also some very nice leather sheaths
    that store the tool and bit kits and extender and extra saw and file

4. kensington

kensington Loaded Pockets

That Movie Guy likes this.
  5. Lateck

Lateck Loaded Pockets

@kensington, that's what I have for my Surge and bit set. Works great.

[​IMG]

Lateck,

Last edited by Lateck, Feb 4, 2018
    #5 Lateck, Feb 4, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
  6. severdhed

severdhed Loaded Pockets

That looks absolutely perfect

Thanks guys

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

That Movie Guy likes this.
  7. Wildcat14

Wildcat14 Loaded Pockets

I was able to carry both bit card, with the saw/file pouch in between them in the slot in the back of the leather sheath mine came with. I have switched to a Maxpedition tc-5 pouch because I carry a few other thing in it. I can’t remember if I had the bits facing each other or facing away but it did all fit. The elastic should stretch over time and make them easier to get in and out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. severdhed

severdhed Loaded Pockets

It wasn't so much that I couldn't get the bit kit in the leather sheath, it's that I couldn't get the sheath to snap shut with them in there

kensington likes this.
  9. Tru7h

Tru7h Loaded Pockets

I’ve been carrying a Surge in one by Nay’s Leather for a couple years now, and I CAN’T recommend it enough! The leatherworking is incredibly solid and beautiful. I have a one with two points the belt passes through (like a paddle) and a slight forward cant. It spreads the mass out really well. I keep the beltloop between the two belt slots, so it’s absolutely secure in where it’s located. The angle makes it much more comfortable when driving.

10. Wildcat14

Wildcat14 Loaded Pockets

I remember mine being like that after reading this post. Mine was very hard to snap shut at first. After a day or two the leather stretched though and it wasn’t a problem anymore.

11. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

I carry my LM Blast in a Maxpedition Single Sheath mounted horizontally on my belt. Whilst I don't have bits etc to carry, I do carry a couple of small prybars in the same sheath; one is the Pocket Wrench II -- I like having a second device in case I run into a need to hold a back nut from turning whilst I am trying to unbolt something. In addition, I have in the past carried a Streamlight Stylus Pro in the sheath at the same time.

Yes, it is a velcro closure!

This is the item: https://amazon.com/gp/product/B001CZFTJO/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

AlgoOPC likes this.
  12. severdhed

severdhed Loaded Pockets

That looks like a decent option as well. I like the horizontal carry option. I'm not a big fan of Velcro due to the noise, but I like the price a lot better, and the convenience of ordering on Amazon.

I'm contemplating trying to make my own, but I'm not sure I'm up to the task.

AlgoOPC likes this.
  13. severdhed

severdhed Loaded Pockets

I ordered the maxpedition single sheath, it should be here tomorrow. I really like that skinth, but between the price difference, and the fact that I had am amazon gift card to use, i went with the maxpedition. I can't wait for it to arrive.

Moshe ben David and AlgoOPC like this.
  14. AlgoOPC

AlgoOPC Loaded Pockets

I have both the single and double sheath. [​IMG][​IMG]

Moshe ben David likes this.
  15. severdhed

severdhed Loaded Pockets

I got my maxpedition single sheath yesterday, and i think it is going to work fine. It is a little bulkier than the leather sheath that came with the surge, but it holds more, so that is to be expected. It is a very tight fit to get the surge in there with both bit kits and the saw blades. I did get them in there, but i'm finding it difficult to get the surge in and out without the bit kits coming with it. I think with time it will loosen up a little and be fine. In all honesty, i don't use my surge that often, so it isn't that big of a deal.

It seems like a well made sheath, I like that the flap is adjustable. It is also nice that it can be mounted vertically or horizontally. It even fits over my paracord belt, which is much thicker than a normal belt and sometimes gives me issues with belt holsters. The elastic sides are much less loose and floppy than the ones on my surge sheath.

overall, i'm fairly pleased with this sheath. I may still end up ordering one of those Skinths at some point, but i feel like this was a good purchase. I'll post some pics tomorrow.

Thanks for your help.

AlgoOPC likes this.
  16. severdhed

severdhed Loaded Pockets

Here it is with the gear I currently have loaded in it.

Leatherman Surge

Extra saw blades and file

Both bit kits

Long #1 Phillips bit that I cut with a dremel to fit in the leatherman bit driver.

Small adjustable wrench

Small pry bar in a sheath I made for it so it doesn't damage things when I sit down.

This thing has to weigh at least a pound, but it provides a ton of functionality.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

#16 severdhed, Feb 18, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
    That Movie Guy, Lateck and AlgoOPC like this.
  17. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Wow. You carry a hell of a lot more than I do in mine! Enjoy it for many years in good health!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

AlgoOPC likes this.
  18. M24shooter

M24shooter Loaded Pockets

I needed to get one that will let me carry the Surge, the bit kit(s), an extension, and a microstream. I ordered the Skinth Thursday so hopefully by next month I'll have that in hand.

19. RED-FIVE
    • +4 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

RED-FIVE Loaded Pockets

The ripping noise should not be an issue if you open velcro using this method... works everytime! ;)

20. M24shooter

M24shooter Loaded Pockets

Got my Skinth in yesterday. Have to say I really like it. Much better than the LT XL sheath in terms of capacity, organization, and construction.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]