1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Help me find a new laptop or tablet

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by ar10shooter, Mar 2, 2016.

1. ar10shooter

ar10shooter Empty Pockets

So I'm wanting a new laptop or notepad, honestly not sure what. I've used my iPhone or desktop for everything since I gave my son my iPad 2 it started to slow down and bug me, so I gave it to him. What I want now is something to watch movies and do my web surfing, that is primarily what I do. But I would also like to do simple computer tasks check e-mail, spreadsheets, edit pdf's and typing, so a full size keyboard is a must. I'm thinking an iPad pro or a surface. Will that be enough of a computer for what I need to do, or do I need a 2 in one like the hp spectre x360 or Lenovo think pad? Like I said it would primarily be for net flix, web surfing, watching movies when flying etc. but I need to type at times and want something that can attach or has a fullsize keyboard, as well as spread sheets, exit pdf's and stuff like that.

I guess I'm rableling, like I said I'm not sure what I want, so please let me know what you have and what you use it for. I would like to keep the price around $1000 or less

2. aswan

aswan Loaded Pockets

About a month ago I picked up a Toshiba Satellite Radius "2-in-1" laptop that is working perfectly. My primary uses for this laptop are hi-res music playback, internet duties, and simple Microsoft Office editing. It is essentially my home computer. It has an HDMI output and (2) USB 3.0 ports that were a major plus. It is also a touch screen, but that wasn't one of my must have features. It's worth a look (I paid less than $600). One feature that sold me was a backlit keyboard. The Macbook Pro that this replaced ruined me on backlit keyboards.

3. xbanker
    • Administrator

xbanker Geriatric Admin
    Staff Member

Similar habits here. My iPad Air fills those needs nicely 80% of the time (coupled with small Bluetooth external speaker for video/movie playback; on-board speaker too anemic). Love portability when traveling.
    Similar too. Nothing uber-demanding, but enough that external keyboard is a must. To preserve portability, nixed full-size keyboard idea. Went with this from Logitech. Not full-size, but with use, fingers and brain adapted. Bluetooth. Good battery life. Employs magnets to secure when closed and when in use. Sturdy protection for iPad screen when closed (but still use a case for better drop protection).

If was buying today, might consider different tablet. Love the Air, but the negative for me: limited on-board storage; can't supplement storage via SD card or USB drive. Have to resort to iCloud, or Dropbox, or similar. Not huge deal, but I'm old-fashioned that way.

Have newer lightweight Dell laptop (~$650 on sale) w/touchscreen, backlit keyboard; 1920 x 1080; HDMI, so can use with 25" HP HD monitor; weight/footprint reduction thanks to no internal DVD drive; haven't felt compelled to buy external drive yet. Could probably do without laptop, if didn't routinely do post-processing photos using variety of software. Need its 12 GB of RAM for large image file sizes.

Never considered the Surface. For something with decent horsepower, price tag too far north of $1K for my taste.

ipad1.jpg

Back, with keyboard closed:

ipad3.jpg

4. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

Surface pro....I haven't touched the desk top in years and my lap top only for serious writing and work. I do take the surface to meetings... one note rules!

Jonb74, xbanker and sol92258 like this.
  5. ar10shooter

I'm really liking the idea of the surface pro 4 the core i5 is $899 right now a keyboard is about $150. So I should be able to walk out the door for $1100 without the pen, is the pen very useful?

6. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

I used it a lot in the beginning but have no idea where it is. It is cool but I don't do many things that would NEED it.

7. mxtkaboom

mxtkaboom Empty Pockets

second for the Surface. I have the low end unit and still love it.

8. GQP

GQP Loaded Pockets

You are pretty much covered by anything with what you listed. Ill got high to low.

Macbook Air - $899 - $999

Cheapest mobile Mac. Awesome battery life, little weight and the most basic features you need for a Mac. I found one to be my primary system even though I have a custom powerhouse of a PC and a MacBook Pro. It was my favorite system for tasks that didn't require a lot of power (most of the tasks you listed).Best selling point is OSX which is going to cause less pain over time if you do a lot of web browsing. It has been passed on to my wife because she decided she wanted a laptop and I decided I didn't want to be her continous tech support.

However, you soon find out how painful underpowered it is if you try to do anything taxing like video rendering. New Macbook Airs do not have this problem, but mine would even choke when watching HD video.

Windows Systems - $200-Up

Pick your poison, any of them will cover your needs. Dell has been the most dependable from my experience. HP has been the worst. The MS surfaces have been having some problems and they are a little over priced for what you get (but so are the Macs). If I was shopping for one, I would probably see what ASUS or ABIT has to offer. If they looked like junk, Id move to Toshiba and Sony.

Down side is that they run on Windows, which really isn't bad, it's just that I deal with so many people who do not understand how their systems end up being compromised and\or trashed. I only recommend Windows system for internet browsing for people who truly understand Windows security. If you don't, then you or some poor friend/relative you know with a hair of tech knowledge will be constantly reloading the OS while you say things like 'How does this happen? I run AV software!" (sorry, got off on a tangent there)

Android Systems - $100 - Up

These are still new to me and I have only been working with them for about a year. However, I have been pleasantly surprised by their function and value. You get a non-Windows system without the OSX price tag or Linux temperament. Again, most of these will cover all your needs. My favorite part is if something does go wrong, most can be reset in seconds with just a couple of keystrokes or button combinations (just make sure you keep up with backups of your actual files).

Down side is the different flavors of the Droid OS. Not all are compatible with all apps or require some techicnical modification to do so. Stuff like Netflix and email shouldn't be an issue, but you may want to do some research if there is a particular app you want to run.

9. MoighonFweeman

MoighonFweeman Loaded Pockets

Get a Lenovo ThinkPad. You can choose the exact model to suit your needs and price range, but those things are hands down the most durable laptops under 1000.

Sent from my ALCATEL A564C using Tapatalk

10. wretched_youth

wretched_youth Loaded Pockets

Consider the Surface 3, not the Pro, just the 3, with 128Gb of storage and 4Gbs RAM

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

11. ar10shooter

I was just looking at the surface 3 the price is a lot less. Will I be able to edit excel and word programs on it? I'm thinking for the price I can't go wrong.

12. ThreeWulfMoon

ThreeWulfMoon Loaded Pockets

I looked at the Surface 3 and even had one pre-ordered, but due to a mix-up, I didn't get to pick it up. I instead got the Surface Pro 3 and I'm a lot happier. The Surface 3 is Atom-based, and it runs must basic tasks just fine. It will do everything you need it to do, it just doesn't have much extra power to spare if you need it. I've also read that because it charges via micro-USB, but at higher than average voltages for that type of connection, that it has wonky charging issues (long charge times or the battery continues draining even when plugged in).

Due to a great deal at Sam's Club, I got the i5 (8 gig memory, 128 GB HD) SP3 with the type cover and a permanent license of Office 2013 for a couple hundred more than the S3. Since your budget allows it, I would grab the Surface Pro 4 and the new Surface Pro 4 Fingerprint Cover. This will give you plenty of power if you should ever need it in a tablet configuration, with the ability to work like a notebook as well if you need to do a lot of typing. I "upgraded" to the new S4 pen with the eraser and the Fingerprint Cover and I love my device. I can imagine the SP4 is even sweeter, but since the new accessories were backwards compatible, I see no need to upgrade right now. My SP3 is the best mobile device that I have ever used, and I bought my first Windows tablet back in 2004 and have upgraded every few years since.