1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Help Me Find a New EDC Light

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by ItJustDiz, Jan 26, 2017.

1. ItJustDiz

ItJustDiz Loaded Pockets

As the title suggests, looking for a new torch, currently carry a Fenix LD35 that is both too large and starting to fade in reliability (light taps or shaking the light can make it go out, I'm sure it's something I did, but still, looking for replacement).

So here's the checklist, please give me a hand!!

1) What do you intend to use this light for? Pocket-carry EDC

2) What Region/Country/State will the light be purchased in?
    I will be mail-ordering or buying online, so this doesn't matter.

3) Price Range: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest!
    [ ] $40 - $120 I combined two ranges, I'd like o keep it under $125, but I also want some quality.

PART A
    [ ] I want a flashlight.

PART B
    Length:
    [ ] 2-5 inches. (Pocket carry) (Smaller than the LD 35)

PART C
    Width:
    [ ] I prefer a short wide light. I like the width of the Fenix, would like to keep it <1in.

PART D
    Weight:

[ ] Medium light, about the weight of a AAA MiniMag
    [ ] Medium, slightly heavier than a AA MiniMag

5) What kind of "bulb".
    [ ] LED - more rugged, unlikely to burn out in your lifetime, less accurate color rendition, in general less output but more efficient (longer runtimes)
    [ ] Don't care, just want the best fit for my needs.

6) What batteries do you want to use?
    [ ] I want lithium batteries. (coin cells, CR123, AAA, AA...)

7) How much light do you want? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is impossible).
    [ ] I want to read a map, find a light switch/keyhole, or get around the house at w/o disturbing anyone. (5-10 lumens)
    [ ] I want to light an entire campground or dazzle an intruder. (100+ lumens)

8) Throw vs Flood:

Throw (distance)----------------------X----------------------Flood/close-up

9) Runtime:
    [ ] 360+ min. (More than 6 hours)

10) Durability: Generally the old phrase “you get what you pay for” is very accurate for flashlights.
    [ ] Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box.)
    [ ] Critical (Police, Fire, Search & Rescue, Self-defense, Survival.)

11) Switch Type:
    [ ] clickie switch. (Stays on until pressed again.)
    [ ] momentary switch. (Only stays on while held down.)

12) Switch Location:
    [ ] I don't care.
    [ ] I want a push switch on the back end of the body.

13) Operational Modes: Check all that apply.
    [ ] A simple on-off is fine for me.
    [ ] I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)
    [ ] I want multiple light levels. (some lights have 5-16 light levels.)

14) Is it important whether the body is metal or plastic/composite? In this case "plastic" and it's variants does not mean "cheap" or poorly made. In many applications a plastic bodied light is preferable, hard use and water resistance comes to mind; think caving or lights that get dropped or abused.
    [ ] I don't care.
    [ ] I prefer a metal-bodied light.

15) Special Needs: I like the idea of waterproof/resistant, matte or non reflective/non shiny, I like a pocket clip but also like to have a lanyard hole, and I like a crenelated head.
    [ ] Waterproof – how deep
    [ ] Non-reflective/dark finish (stealthy/hard to find)
    [ ] Corrosion resistant or hard-anodized finish
    [ ] Belt/Jacket clip
    [ ] Wrist/Neck Lanyard
    [ ] Kuboton/self defense features

Thanks in advance!!

2. GatorMedic

GatorMedic Loaded Pockets

Fenix LD09 or L3 Illumination L11C or Eagtac D25A

ItJustDiz and steeps like this.
  3. JLeePhoto

JLeePhoto Loaded Pockets

ZL SC52w L2 is my latest EDC pocket light and loving it. Programmable modes but a simple L-M-H from moonlight to 200+ lumens with beautiful tint the size of my ring finger.
    The UI is really brilliant with combo presses to directly enter a mode or simply hold down the button to scroll through three levels.
    Great efficient run times on any type of AA and even with 14500 lithiums. I've got a lot of lights but this is my EDC favorite right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Goob469

Goob469 Loaded Pockets

I just picked up about a month ago a OLight S1R Turbo S. I must say I've been very impressed with this little light. It's about the size of your thumb so it rides really nice in the pocket. It has five brightness levels and a strobe mode - 0.5, 12, 60, 300, 600, 900 lumens.

It's a neat little light - Google it there are a lot of reviews out there.

A quick recap from Olight's web site:

FEATURES
    • Cree XM-L2 LED