1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Help me find a good quality inexpensive digital work watch

Discussion in 'Watches' started by Matt2silver, May 20, 2015.

1. Matt2silver

Matt2silver Loaded Pockets

Hello Guys & Gals,

I know most of you aren't inexpensive watch people, but I'm hoping that you can help me out anyways. I have a very nice Fossil watch that my fiance bought me a few years ago that I really enjoy, but I like to keep it nice so I don't wear it when I'm out in the woods or doing yard work and I end up wishing I had something to take it's place on these occations.

So here's what I'm looking for:
    • Digital - (My Fossil is analog and I'd like to try a watch with numbers for a change.)
    • No frills - I don't need lap counters, GPS, stop watches, etc. just something that tells the time and date would be fine.
    • Something around $30 or $50 dollars. this is going to be a yard work watch so I don't want to feel bad if it gets dirty or a little dinged up.
    • Something that looks like it isn't from the 1980's, (for example I'm not a big fan of the looks of watches like the Casio A158W-1)
    • Removable band is a plus
    • Ability to light up the display at night is a BIG plus
    • Good battery life
    • Long lasting
    So if you're reading this and you think you have the perfect watch in mind for me, I'd love to hear your suggestion. I don't know nearly as much about watches as I do about multitools and knives, so make no assumptions about my knowledge of the available options, there might be an obvious choice that all of you know and own two or three of that I may never have heard of.

Thanks for your time!
    Best regards,
    Matt

2. Evil D

Evil D Loaded Pockets

Going digital, there aren't many brands I'd choose over Casio. For your price range, and wanting digital, that definitely limits you to a particular style of watch. Doing a quick search on Amazon, here's a few you may like.

W734-9AV
    AE1100WD-1AV
    W-211-1AVES
    W735H-1AVEF

This one is pretty sweet...it's analog and digital, that may help to get you away from the typical digital watch style AQ160W-1BV.

OldRakkasans187 likes this.
  3. thegamettt

thegamettt Loaded Pockets

I used to wear a casio dw9052 for work until the battery died. Great watch.

4. Blitzkrieg
    • In Omnia Paratus

Blitzkrieg Loaded Pockets

+1 for the 9052. Had one as a kid and it ran good until I lost it. I'd even say just get ANY G-Shock in your price range. They really can't be beat. I wear mine in the ocean all the time when I'm surf fishing. No issues 2 years in.

thegamettt likes this.
  5. Matt2silver

Thanks guys, so far I'm leaning towards the casio w211 1AVES. Are there any other companies worth while besides casio with the criteria I'm looking for?

6. NOC
    • In Omnia Paratus

NOC Loaded Pockets

How about this classic:

[​IMG]

$52 Model T5K3419J

theotherroche and Stutz like this.
  7. 59Bassman

59Bassman Loaded Pockets

I've got an old 30 lap Timex Ironman that I bought years go as a lightweight running watch for $25 or so. I've bought G-shocks and looked at a ton of other digitals; nothing has yet replaced this cheap Timex. It's run or biked a couple thousand miles in the heat, been fishing in fresh and saltwater countless times, and continues to run on the first battery.

8. NOC
    • In Omnia Paratus

NOC Loaded Pockets

The original! I had one of those too!

[​IMG]

9. Stutz

Stutz EDC Junkie

There's really nothing wrong with a good old Timex Ironman or Expedition in that price range. They'll last forever. I would personally probably go with a cheap version of the Casio G Shock, though, just for the cool factor. I think the crystal is going to resist scratching better with the G Shock, too. I guess it depends how cost-sensitive you feel about this purchase. If you'd rather err on the side of value, I'd probably get a Timex. You'll have more options. If you don't mind paying a little more for some looks and quality, you might go with a G Shock, but there won't be as many options and they'll all be $40-60.

You can also go even cheaper if you really want. I have a non-G Shock Casio that was $18, but it scratches easily and the watch band hardware is cheap plastic. I like how it looks, but it's not built for durability.

10. MCPOWoller

MCPOWoller Loaded Pockets

With all the items on your list, you gotta go with a G-Shock. Try the DW9052 model from Amazon: 4.5 stars from over 1,200 reviews. Right around the $45 price point. I've deployed many a time since 2003 and each time was with a G-Shock or a Pathfinder. Never a hiccup and they took a beating.

11. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

I would probably just scan through the Casio and Timex catalogues until you find something that speaks to you... Pretty much all of those will fit the bill barring the 'no frills' request which you are not going to get on a basic digital watch - the only digital watches I can think of without things like stopwatches are a few high end fashion ones.

Both of those brands are well proven as being tough and reliable, and they cover most of the range of digital watch styles from the ruggedised GShocks, the sporty Ironman models, or the delightfully 80's calculators, so it is hard to recommend one watch over another as in the main it just comes down to personal preference over style and cost.

12. Sheepdog149

Sheepdog149 Loaded Pockets

13. landwire
    • In Omnia Paratus

landwire Loaded Pockets

Echoing many of what has been said before. Casio or Timex.

14. desertdog256

desertdog256 Loaded Pockets

I was looking for the same thing recently and went with a Casio. I really like the watch......but. Mine will randomly reset itself to midnight 1/1/2005. Sometimes it does it 2 or 3 times a day. Sometimes it'll go a week or more without problems. A Google search reveals that this is not uncommom.

Hence, I am still looking for a watch.

15. Matt2silver

Hey guys, Thank you for all of your wonderful tips and suggestions. Because of your input I got to check out some really cool gear that I didn't know about before and actually ended up picking a different watch than the one I originally had in mind. I ended up finding something that I think is perfect for me. there aren't a lot of extra bells and whistles, it illuminates, it shows just the time, date, and day of the week, it looks good, and at just under twenty dollars it's extremely inexpensive. What I picked was a Casio Illuminator, specifically the one pictured below. I'm really loving it and I hope that it lasts me a fair amount of time considering the low price point.

[​IMG]

Thanks again for all of your help and suggestions, I have some of the other watches that you guys mentioned on my wish list now so I'm thinking I'll be trying out a G shock or something similar in the near future.

Best regards,
    Matt

16. theotherroche

theotherroche Loaded Pockets

I just picked up this exact watch (Timex T5K341) from Campmor for $30. Does it say 1980's? So does my undergraduate diploma.

17. pduds

pduds Loaded Pockets

Timex guy here. I've tried a few Casios but the interface is so clunky compared to the Timex one. on one basic G Shock I had, the illumination turned off if you pressed any other buttons! how is that at all useful for doing stuff at night? Once you learn the Timex interface you just know it.

My T5E901 ($32 on Amazon) is a great watch. comfortable. It's got 3 alarms, timer, chronometer, and event reminders (set it for the wife's birthday and your anniversary and you're good to go!)

18. TGV

TGV Empty Pockets

My favorite Pulsar
    [​IMG]
    Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

19. polonium9

polonium9 EDC Junkie!!!

You can't go wrong with the Casio illuminator line.
    I had them all my childhood and they withstood me going to pool practice and being a general kid.

They all ended up in pieces, though, because I was a tinkering type child.