1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Help me decide?

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by ykimchi, May 1, 2020.

1. ykimchi

ykimchi Loaded Pockets

I’m looking for a new light for my keychain. Looking at the Rovyvon A4x Ti or Peak Eiger cu. Been using the brass Beta QRv2 for awhile. Also used a McGizmo Sapphire but it wasn’t bright as I wanted.

2. jcombs

jcombs Loaded Pockets

Muyshondt Maus
    [​IMG]

SwampDonkey likes this.
  3. ykimchi

ykimchi Loaded Pockets

Can’t spend 100s.

jcombs likes this.
  4. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

The Peak is just quirky in my experience and the level of light near impossible to reliably predict and duplicate but they are really well constructed aside from the adjustment feature.

The Rovy will ALWAYS turn on in my pocket which almost every light with no good lockout will and so is a no go for me too.
    Really EVERY light but one that I have tried with a button interface will turn on in my pocket unless I can lock it out physically,only one exception so far.
    The ZL SC52 if I keep it clipped to the top of my pocket,otherwise I am just screwed.

Of the lights that I use and you can buy Today for reasonable money I think the Prometheus Mini is the one I would try if the Beta is not enough for you? You don't say why it is not so I am just guessing you want more light?
    The Mini can be unscrewed enough to prevent turn on in my experience and is also insanely bright for the size!

YMMV as always.

5. jcombs

jcombs Loaded Pockets

Bought the Maus used but like new for $75. It replaced an Olight i3E that can be had for $10 and I’m not certain the Olight isn’t the better option specs/$.
    [​IMG]

6. SOS24

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

This is my problem with the Peak as well. I love the looks, but just could not adjust to the UI.

I don’t have any experience with the Rovy, but I dislike keychain lights that turn on in the pocket. Other than giving you a hot pocket, it then causes the battery to drain so it doesn’t work when need.

7. ykimchi

ykimchi Loaded Pockets

Well I needed up ordering the Peak Eiger in copper with a mule head and neutral color. I’m fine with the qtc because I had the Veleno Designs Quantum D2.

8. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Well I wish you luck then with this one.

I have an Eiger with a Neutral Mule head and I have to imagine there will not be enough light for you at all?

I am not sure it really does any better than the Sapphire that you said was not enough light?

Now a standard Eiger head is another thing entirely but the mule while a beautiful light that makes beautiful light just does not make much light at all.

Also I am told that the QTC is not in the realm of the Veleno QTC in any way when it comes to quality or performance? I hope yours is better.

Please let us know!

9. Willy

Willy Loaded Pockets

An option for the Peak is single mode. I have a few in raw Aluminum High CRI that will light up a room. Good for keychain carry as they are so light (no pun intended).
    [​IMG]
    Agree with the QTC being a bit finicky. I usually just turn it on enough to see what I need to see.
    Copper is nice too but heavy. You could ask Peak to build you a regular head also like I did.
    [​IMG]

Nick4305 likes this.
  10. ykimchi

ykimchi Loaded Pockets

Well the Sapphire was only 6-8 lumens. I think Eiger should be more?
    I’ve been emailing Robyn and she’s been super helpful. She said the finicky QTC issue is basically has been fixed. I also ordered a Eiger Ultra in cu with a pocket body so pretty excited about that one. I’m gonna get back into collecting titanium and cu lights.

11. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

My Sapphire is one of the 25 Lumen ones but still the Mule Eiger while really bright to look into does not throw much light at all.
    I will believe what you say Robin claims about the QTC when I see for myself that it is so and not a second before too.

But it should be fun for you either way and please do not forget to let us know once the lights are in hand!

12. ykimchi

ykimchi Loaded Pockets

You think a single mode would be better for a keychain light?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I don't really carry a Keychain light anymore as I just carry a ZL clipped on my pocket instead.
    I do know that I have one Eiger that has almost decent QTC and another that has terrible QTC but both drive me insane screwing with them when I just need light.

So tell us why you are getting rid of the Beta anyway? It seems ideal for this.

14. ykimchi

ykimchi Loaded Pockets

I still like the beta but plan to get a copper and titanium with the clips. I just want to try out the Eiger. Now just trying to decide if I want single mode or QTC.

15. Willy

Willy Loaded Pockets

QTC definitely would better with the larger Peaks. My Logan 17500 works quite well.
    Admittedly QTC is not an exact science. You will either like it or not. I do like the single mode Mule for keychain carry. It won't be a light you will use as a primary. More likely to locate something on the floor, in a cupboard or find a keyhole.

16. keycutter

keycutter Loaded Pockets

I have a normal non mule Logan head and two bodies the big and small tube. On my large tube some of the internal components including the qtc pill fell out. Upon trying to fix it with zero knowledge of how it goes together at all I managed to experience it without the qtc and loved the simple on off ui. Because I wasn’t positive I had it together properly I asked Robyn via email about getting it fixed up and taking the qtc pill out of both the body tubes. She told me to send them so that’s what I did. They aren’t back yet but I’m excited. No matter if it’s the right light for your preferences or needs they are good lights made by stand up people. And I bet they would work with you to get it set up the way it would best serve your needs. The Qtc wasn’t for me to flickery for my liking. It’s possible that’s different from pill to pill. I have a veleno designs d2 that has very smooth qtc. Anyway I hope whatever you decide you enjoy.

17. jabe1

jabe1 Loaded Pockets

The QTC in an Eiger can be a bit finicky, but despite that, it is a fantastic light. I can’t recommend a copper or SS AAA Eiger for keychain carry, use the 10180 or 10280 bodies for that. The full size in those metals, I find to be too heavy. If you’re not used to the floods mule head, you may find it appears to be too dim, although lumen output is not insubstantial. I use the full size with a Prometheus clip and momentary switch as a pocket light; fantastic.

18. ykimchi

ykimchi Loaded Pockets

She said if I don’t like the mule, I could send it back and get the regular. I think she would do the same for me if I didn’t like the QTC. She’s a super nice lady and answered all my questions.

19. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Gents,

I've been watching this dialog and should have asked one question earlier on. Please, someone explain the acronym QTC. I get the impression that it has to do with 'clicky' sequence required on so many lights to get to different modes - the very sequence that drives me nuts on many of my lights? @keycutter above made reference to a 'pill' that is removable - I assume this is a module in the tail that once removed the light turns into a basic on/off tail switch? I'm already thinking of a couple of lights that I might do that to but I'd like to know a bit more...

Thanks

Am Yisrael Chai!

Moshe ben David

20. jabe1

jabe1 Loaded Pockets

QTC: quantum tunneling composite.
    This is a foam like substance that functions as a mechanical electrical resistor.
    Peak and a few other small manufacturers use it to vary the amperage input in their flashlights so that you get “infinite” brightness adjustment.