1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

help me decide on a small 9mm

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by steviesterno, Oct 1, 2016.

1. ThurstyUSMC

ThurstyUSMC Loaded Pockets

I will also agree with the LC9s/Pro. I really want to trade my LC9 for one but I won't. If you can hang with 7 shots, no other gun comes close in terms of size/weight/comfort. If you need more shots I'd go with a sub compact XD or Shield. I've been pretty happy carrying my wife's XD mod 2 but it feels like a brick compared to my LC9. I've carried my LC9 in athletic shorts, but I wouldn't want to do anything athletic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bringerofgame likes this.
  2. charlie fox

charlie fox Loaded Pockets

My carry gun for the last four years has been a Kahr CM9. Lightweight, easy to hide during our hot, humid summers here in SC and seven rounds of 9mm.

Buckeye Jake and 0dBm like this.
  3. stbear

stbear Loaded Pockets

Carry a LC9 IWB every day. Nice light package. Hardly know it's there.

bringerofgame and beast like this.
  4. trfkcop

trfkcop Loaded Pockets

M&P Shield!! Second choice is Glock.

B in NY likes this.
  5. ScottieG59

ScottieG59 Loaded Pockets

Under $600 should be possible if you look at Kahr CM9 or maybe a PM9, if you can find a good discount price. I have a PM9 as my small carry handgun. Alternately, I have an Springfield Armory XDS in 45 ACP, but there is little to be gained with it, except, it may be safer to reholster as long as I do not depress the back of the grip. If I use a holster, I can conceal a much larger and more capable handgun, and that is what I normally do. So, in stead of looking for the smallest, I look for the biggest I can conceal and dress around it.

Just remember, when you go for small, you will compromise in capability, reliability and overall performance. The only thing you gain is some concealment in tighter or less clothing. I have built my choices on my defense objectives and adapt my habits, clothing, training and firearm accordingly. I am no longer able to run well or engage in hand-to-hand combat effectively. My primary tactic is to anticipate and avoid conflict.

6. KenW.

KenW. Loaded Pockets

What I drop in my pocket when I can't carry a "real" gun is the .22 magnum NAA micro revolver or Bond Arms .45C derringer. Otherwise, its an LCR. Those're my smallest handguns. you're asking for trouble "clipping" a gun to an elastic waistband.

7. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

This is an excellent mantra to live by. If you're serious about defense, it must be a lifelong commitment. Otherwise, carrying a small firearm is just novelty.

8. Carcass

Carcass Loaded Pockets

I absolutely love the M&P Shield 9MM. It's compact, easy to carry, shoots great, reliable and inexpensive. What more can you ask for in a gun?

kye4some likes this.
  9. kye4some

kye4some Loaded Pockets

M&P Shield Performance Center ...Solid choice [​IMG]

jkwithawave likes this.
  10. kye4some

kye4some Loaded Pockets

And they have them on sale at Cabelas now for $400 (running a $25.00 off coupon and online sale of $425.00) store sale is $499 but will honor online sale

11. Austin Price

Austin Price Empty Pockets

If you're not carrying a Glock 43, you're wrong

12. qkarl

qkarl Loaded Pockets

The shield is good, they offer them in 9/40/45 now. Some may find the grips for the 9/40 a tad slippery, but something like talon grips makes it a truly great piece. Sometimes you can find a shield on sale for around $340.

13. mrtwohands

mrtwohands Loaded Pockets

I have really liked carrying my Shield 9 for the last six months or so. Super light weight and thin so it's easily concealed.

14. IMightBeWrong

IMightBeWrong Loaded Pockets

I don't get why you've said no Glocks or Walther PPS. Honestly, I think those are tied for the 2 best pocket nines on the planet right now. Glock if you want it as light as possible, Walther if you want it to shoot better (the extra 3oz helps with controllability).

15. Chris_1001

Chris_1001 Loaded Pockets

^ This or maybe a G42.

Surprised not to see more belly band suggestions here.

16. steviesterno

steviesterno Loaded Pockets

I owned/carried/shot a PPS and I didn't like it. Wish I did! I wanted to, got a good deal on it, but I hated how it handled. Same thing for Glocks, I wish I liked them but the grip angle and terrible trigger gets to me. Sure, I could get the angle melted and put a real trigger into it, but that's another $400 and I might as well just get something nice from the beginning.

17. Il Duce

Il Duce Loaded Pockets

Try the PPS M2

18. steviesterno

I have. Didn't like that one either.

19. IMightBeWrong

IMightBeWrong Loaded Pockets

I find it interesting that you consider the Glock trigger terrible. Due to its pronounced reset it's the choice of a lot of competitive shooters. Many will do a bit of work on it based on personal taste but it's still a Glock trigger and many love it, including myself.

As for the grip angle, I've never understood the complaint. After practicing with it, the angle becomes a non-issue in my experience. YMMV.

20. steviesterno

OP update! I bought a shield performance center 9mm on sale for under $400. it's surprisingly accurate, and the recoil is significantly less than out of a similar sized sig thing I tried and pps. I was surprised by the accuracy out of the box, and it's not much harder to carry than my lcp was. I'm getting a few real holsters to work it into the rotation.

luckily it's chilly so I can wander around this weekend with the full size 1911.

BlackOnionHeart and kye4some like this.