1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

help me decide on a small 9mm

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by steviesterno, Oct 1, 2016.

1. steviesterno

steviesterno Loaded Pockets

I know the "pocket Pistol" market has gone crazy over the last few years. I'm interested in upgrading my LCP for times where I want more oomph, but I'm not willing to carry my full size or compact 1911s. I'm also trying to cut 380 out of my life. So what I'm looking for has to meet the following criteria:

9mm or maybe 45
    not pocket but can clip IWB or holster and it's held up by gym shorts
    real sights
    real trigger
    more than 2 shots
    semi auto
    not a Glock or Walther PPS or any key tec
    under $600 or so

2. Dirty Rod

Dirty Rod Loaded Pockets

Trying to hold up a loaded pistol IWB with just gym shorts is going to be a challenge. I wouldn't carry without a real gun belt but if it's just shorts you will need something really light which means increased recoil.

theotherroche and joshwhoha like this.
  3. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I can't picture another 9 that could be held up by gym shorts unless it is the baby Glock,I love mine!

Maybe a Shield?

Wishoot likes this.
  4. Vartz04
    • +1 Supporter

Vartz04 Loaded Pockets

Keltec pf9 is what I carry. Still don't think it's going Be okay in gym shorts and it's one of the lightest 9s out there.

Gary Gross, joshwhoha and MCPOWoller like this.
  5. jtg622

jtg622 Empty Pockets

A Ruger LC9s Pro might fit your needs, but it'll depend on how tight you keep your gym shorts.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

6. Wishoot

Wishoot Loaded Pockets

7. Crippletron
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Crippletron Loaded Pockets

Sheild here, it's exactly why I got it. Does well in my board shorts

8. Lateck

Lateck Loaded Pockets

LC9 is my choice.

9. ReadyFreddy23

ReadyFreddy23 Loaded Pockets

Maybe a used Rohrbaugh 9mm.

chris in mo likes this.
  10. radir68

radir68 Empty Pockets

I really like my Shield. That said I don't think my gym shorts would hold it up.

11. joshwhoha

joshwhoha Loaded Pockets

Gym shorts with a 9 is a pretty tall order. As was already said, the Kel-Tec PF9 is going to be the lightest and I think the Ruger LC9s is the second lightest. I have the Shield and it's a hair on the heavier side. I know you said semiautomatic but maybe consider a Ruger LCR or a J-frame if weight is really that big of an issue. I can thumbs up the shield for board shorts, but gym shorts are a bit too baggy for any gun to work very well. Maybe just wear normal shorts or board shorts instead of gym shorts? "Clip IWB" as in, no holster covering the trigger guard? BAD idea. Just my .02

12. saniterra

saniterra Loaded Pockets

If gym shorts carry is your goal, I think that you are SOL when it comes to a 9mm. That being said, a Kahr CW9, 7+1 capacity, weighs 17.7 oz. with the magazine. About 0.5 oz heaver than and LC9 and about 1.3 oz. less than a Shield. All are standard with 7+1, but can be upgraded to 8+1 with a magazine change. All are around the same size - 6"x4.5"x0.95". I have seen the Kahr for less than $300. Or you can look at the Kahr CM9, 6+1 and about 5.4x4.0x0.90, 15.9 oz. 9mm ammo is 0.4 to 0.5 per round. Another 3-5 oz for a holster. So you're looking at around 25 oz., good to go. You'd probably be better off hanging it around your neck ala Tuco in the "Good, Bad and the Ugly".

VFD51 and joshwhoha like this.
  13. patientcero

patientcero Loaded Pockets

Won't happen without going to something that is either:
    a.) insecure and flops more than current NBA players
    b.) requires a gun equivalent to what your are leaving behind or smaller.

Many people on various other forums opted for either a belly band set up in order to carry a shield, glock 26 or similar. Another option has been to get a velcro based duty belt to secure a traditional IWB type holster and wear your gym shorts over the entire set up. For example, a Blackhawk Web Duty Belt w/ Velcro Item #: 44B7BK with something like a minituck, etc. The other thing that may work against you is body type, as some holsters and placement may print no matter how small while wearing gym shorts, track pants, etc.

14. steviesterno

my thought process behind this is summer in DFW. I often walk the baby and dog or make a quick run to the store with what i wear around the house, gym shorts and a t shirt. the caliber upgrade is because I have had some run ins with a big coyote, and I wanna be prepared for if those idiots dressed as clowns come to town. I carry my LCP with laser in a holster with no problems in gym shorts. but the sights are lacking and I don't trust my ability to make a good hit at any reasonable distance. I'm also trying to give up on 380 (and also 38, hence the no revolver).

It sounds like it would just be easier to wear real shorts and a belt :/

15. Vartz04
    • +1 Supporter

Vartz04 Loaded Pockets

At pistol distance a 380 is fine for a coyote. The guys dressed as clowns not sure.

Lots of guys kill coyotes with .22s from 40 or so yards while harvesting. For whatever reason they aren't scared of you when you are in a moving tractor so you can get pretty close. When I used to hunt them near subdivisions I would use a .22 mag and take them out up to 75 yards away. I haven't done the math but I'm pretty sure a 380 at 7 yards has a lot more energy than a .22 mag at 75 yards. If the yote is more than 10 yards away you don't "need" to shoot it.

Why don't you set your lasered loaded holstered LCP on a scale. Figure out what that weighs. Then do it without the holster. Now the fun part. Try and find a 9mm and holster combo that is about the same weight. Most likely you can find a more minimal holster to gain back an ounce or so.

***Spoiler alert you're likely not going to be able to do it. From what I find online a lasered lcp loaded weighs in at 13.6 oz. my pf9 loaded weighs 18.1. ***

16. Bander124

Bander124 Loaded Pockets

Check kahr, pm9, and a belly band style holster

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

17. Dirty Rod

Dirty Rod Loaded Pockets

How do you secure the holster to the gym shorts? Without a belt I would think the holster would move around if you have to run, jump, duck, etc.

Understand the heat. I'm in AZ.

18. 343KD

343KD Loaded Pockets

Glock 43 + INCOG + gym shorts = no problem.
    But you don't want a Glock.
    I would check out the various Kahr 9mms.

19. steviesterno

I have a holster for it that's like fake leather and nylon, with a metal clip. It clips pretty well into my shorts, doesn't move unless I just jump up and down a lot. When I draw, I push the side of the gun into my hip a little bit (I carry at 3 o clock) and it stays attached to my belt. can't one hand holster but that's not super important to me.

20. pinehtr

pinehtr Empty Pockets

My Kahr CM9 is 20 oz. loaded with 124 gr ammo. Works with pajamas . Gim shorts ?.