1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Help me decide on a new Single AA Pocket Light.

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by graveyard, Mar 29, 2015.

1. graveyard

graveyard Loaded Pockets

I've decided to switch from my AAA Illuminati keychain light to a AA pocket clip light. The Illuminati has been great, I just have a few quibbles with it.

For one, I just want less dangley stuff on my keys. I want a slightly bigger light on a pocket clip. The attachment point on my Illuminati is just about worn through, I'm afraid I may lose it soon. The factory split ring actually did break this weekend, and I didn't know it till later. I found the flashlight under my car seat. Also, one time, the head unscrewed in my pocket. When I pulled my keyring out, the battery fell out, but the head was still in my pocket. I'd rather not have a screw type head on my new light.

The Illuminati is 3 mode, rated at 132 liumens high, something medium, and 3 low. It spends 90% of the time on low. Sometimes I'll skip right past medium and get a brief blast of high. Medium is never used. The only other mode that would be useful to me is ultra-low, sub lumen. My old school (Petzl and Black Diamond) headlamps cover that territory pretty good though, so it's not a neccessity.

I want single AA because they are available everywhere, and I live in the middle of nowhere. I am 70 miles from the nearest place that sells CR123s.

So...
    1. single AA
    2. simple 2 or 3 mode
    3. tail clicky
    4. very durable and robust
    5. pocket clip, the deeper the better
    6. price, let's start at under $50

Thanks!

Renton and c99camper like this.
  2. C.Boland93
    • In Omnia Paratus

C.Boland93 Loaded Pockets

I don't have any suggestions as of yet but we both seem to be looking for the same thing so I'll be interested to know what this lot come up with!

Sent from Catherine's iPhone using Tapatalk.

3. Jby2206

Jby2206 Loaded Pockets

Take a look at the Trunite T10 line. High mode is 120 lumens, medium is 20, and low is 0.5
    The only problem you might run into is the run time. I forgot what it is but it doesn't last extremely long on high.

david57strat, REDDEVIL and graveyard like this.
  4. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I think a clear option is the Zebra SC52.
    Aside form the Tail Clicky it easily does what you want.
    The interface is electronic and the button on the side but I too use the low modes as much as the high and the ZL has these covered pretty well and they are each easily accessed too.

Add to that one of the brightest highs and lowest range of battery saving lows and it is easy to see why this light has such a loyal following.
    The clip is also very securely screwed on which is great.

I have carried one every single day since it was released and if I lost mine I would order another right away.

I also really like the Fenix LD09 and LD12 which I also carry every day but they don't get as low as you want maybe.
    The clips also suck as they come in the box and the 09 starts in Medium I think where the 12 stays where ou last use it,bith are just great lights and have Tail Switch and Momentary operation. Each compliments the SC52 perfectly too which is why I always carry the SC52 and either of the Fenix with it.

5. jds1

jds1 Loaded Pockets

How about the L10C?

[​IMG]

Jeff

MrOG, Jedigreedo, Foxwalk and 4 others like this.
  6. CardsNation

CardsNation Loaded Pockets

I love my Thrunite t10

REDDEVIL and graveyard like this.
  7. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

I sort of collect in sub-/low-lumen AA lights and have a similar usage pattern, say 47/47/6% on "bright" moonlight (0.3)/low low (3)/momentary max, respectively. My personal favorite for this use is a Lego'd FourSeven's QPA-X, but it will be out of budget. A stock QPA can be purchased for $52 (+7 for deep pocket clip) but will "throwy" compared to your current light.

As mentioned above, within budget would be a L3 L10C in either 3 mode (3lm low) or 4 mode (+ firefly); a Thrunite T10 clicky; and an Eagletac D25A - go for the neutral white or N219 versions. All are very good options, but don't work quite as well for me due to mode spacing, momentary max "switch," voltage versatility, and warranty/CS reasons.

8. graveyard

graveyard Loaded Pockets

This may be just exactly what I'm looking for. I've never heard of this light, though. How's the durability?

9. Tallboyjim

Tallboyjim Loaded Pockets

My thrunite t10 is tuff as old boots but my spec says 169 lumens though. You can get a sexy titanium one for £35.

10. Here Comes The BOOM

Here Comes The BOOM EDC Junkie!!!!!

I've had carried mine for about 5 months or so now & it holds up really well I must say. If you look closely I'm starting to see some minute chipping in the finish but that's about it. I'm still on my first battery by the way, & I use my flashlight a lot (mostly on low).

There have been some complaints about the switch though, it seems a number of people received one with a faulty switch upon arrival. But as far as I know that's been handled under warranty (might be a good idea to ask them to check the switch for you when ordering).

Mine is the 4 mode Nichia version by the way:

[​IMG]

MrOG, Jedigreedo, GatorMedic and 2 others like this.
  11. graveyard

graveyard Loaded Pockets

I ordered the L10c with a Nichia 219. I'll report back when it arrives. Thanks for the input everyone.

MrOG, GatorMedic and twin63 like this.
  12. jds1

jds1 Loaded Pockets

Mine is also the 4-mode Nichia version. You will love this light especially if you are a fan of the super low mode.

The finish of mine has held up quite well, but it usually has a pocket of its own.

Function has been completely reliable.

Enjoy!

Jeff

MrOG, GatorMedic and graveyard like this.
  13. mad one

mad one Loaded Pockets

I own a l10c as well and it has work great no complaints you won't be disappointed. However if you want to spend a little more get a zebralight.

14. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

L 10 is pretty awesome....I gave my wife one....I prefer the SC. tail click on a small light is a pain and uncomfortable.

GatorMedic and graveyard like this.
  15. Djs105

Djs105 Loaded Pockets

Ive been carrying the Fenix LD12 for a while now. I'm VERY happy with it and it covers everything on your list.

16. Renton

Renton Loaded Pockets

graveyard Oh no you didn't, because I had you covered! Maybe this'll help C.Boland93 -

Without question, your needs will be met with the Terralux Lightstar 100 :

1. Takes single AA and wrings its neck, lasts a surprisingly long time.

2. Has high-low-flash modes. High is 100L, focused beam, minimal spread. More than enough at 0300 in the middle of where-the-hell-are-all-the-humans. I'd've preferred simple on/off, but that's available if you don't "soft-tap" to switch modes. Also, its tough looks won me over - I'd've bought it even if it had six modes and annoying cycle-through function.

3. Tail clicky recessed within an aggressive bezel. The light's aesthetic is permanently set to "Intimidate but be beautiful".

4. Aircraft-grade thick aluminium walls make it bombproof. This light will board a speedboat, cross the English Channel, and win a war all on its own before you finish breakfast.

5. Strong pocket clip that sits at the right depth. Lights shouldn't sit too deep - if you're drawing a tactical light in a hurry, fingers must find a good purchase on the tail end. The Terralux 100 sticks out about a quarter inch - just enough.

6. Price = USD 20 on Amazon. Yeah, really. I also bought the bigger Lightstar 220 ($25) as a backup in my backpack for night hikes. 220 lumens is overkill but hey.

I've used both for over three years, the lights doubt MY endurance rather than the other way around.

- Renton

C.Boland93, graveyard and quickster47 like this.
  17. GatorMedic

GatorMedic Loaded Pockets

That's what I was about to recommend as well. Good choice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MrOG and graveyard like this.
  18. graveyard

graveyard Loaded Pockets

I ordered the 3 mode. Sub-lumen isn't real important to me, simplicity is. It starts in the lowest mode and I don't want to have to click twice to get to low, where I will mostly use it. I like the added length of the tail switch, and the screw on pocket clip was a big selling point for me. The Nichoa 219 also factored heavily into my choice. I have not tried one, but a lot of folks seem to rave about them.

MrOG, Foxwalk and twin63 like this.
  19. mikeylab

mikeylab Loaded Pockets

if you are open to rechargeable lithium batteries (which imo are a great alternative to alkaline) the Peak el capitan ultra x is a nice light. i am starting to really like mine. there is no click option, but there is a push button tail switch available. it gets very bright, but can also run very dim for a long time if needed.

graveyard likes this.
  20. SLorenzo

SLorenzo Loaded Pockets

Zebralight sc52. Problem solved!

graveyard and quickster47 like this.