1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Help me choose my EDC subcompact Glock!

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by Irwin J. Finster, May 7, 2009.

1. MatBlack

MatBlack Loaded Pockets

If I was as satisfied with every purchase as I am with my G26 life would be perfect.

2. tradja

tradja Loaded Pockets

I think a lot of this depends on body type and wardrobe, but I find the short butt of the G26 much easier to conceal IWB than the skinner, longer butt of my other pistols. I'm currently saving for a G19 for classes and to supplement my G26 (how's that for a role reversal:) ), but I think I'll carry the G26 the vast majority of the time. Also, I like the shorter barrel for carry. I've not found the conventional wisdom that barrel length is irrelevent for IWB: less gun just conceals better. My 1911 pokes me in the side of the cheek when I sit down.

And no, I'm not fat. :lolhammer:

This, 100%. $425 out the door with 3 mags and the best Glock trigger I have ever squeezed. 1500+ factory and reloaded rounds later, not a single hiccup. Shoots straight, too. Very compact, but no mouse gun.

3. gadgetgeek

gadgetgeek Empty Pockets

I vote for the 29 SF. When my life depends on it - I'm going to get the most powerful round I can shoot. The 10mm has some of the best balistics for an auto and I plan on purchasing the compact 29 SF (slim frame) when I have the funds. Its a hefty round and one would definately need ample practice to master it in such a small package. Ammo is more scarce but it is still available, especially if you order online. That being said, I would try shooting a 10mm if possible before buying. If you find that the 10mm is too much to handle then go with the Glock 30 in 45 ACP, it's the next best thing. The G26/27 is smaller than the 29/30 but you should try handling them both at a gun store...the 29/30 now come in SF (slim frame) or standard size.

4. ironmike86

ironmike86 Loaded Pockets

Where did you hear this? I bought the Glock 26 and 27 the first month/year they were avalible. I strip them all the time shoot them often. Not like the first few years I've had them. I see no more wear on the .40cal vs the 9mm. The 40cal gets more use because I like the 27 better. Never had a problem with either gun. Never had a problem with the Glock 27. My favorite out of the 2.
    +++1 Glock 27

5. indabayou

indabayou Loaded Pockets

+1 Glock27 love it love my g23 too

6. Doug S

Doug S Empty Pockets

Glock was originally designed as a 9mm platform, and 9mm is where Glock really seems to shine. In the subcompacts, the G26 is King. Now if you haven't done so aready, go out and buy one. I doubt you'll be disappointed :-X

[img width=640 height=480]http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp42/dmattaponi/GlockEDC-1.jpg[/img]

7. solocanoe

solocanoe Empty Pockets

4 years ago I bought the exact Glock 23 (.40cal ) (traced the serial number thru the buying process) that my buddy who is a cop carried for 10,000 rounds before they swap 'em out-- by their own dept regs. It's ported and I added a CT grip. Untill ammo prices went nuts, I shot this to the tune of several hundred rounds every couple months, and I take this to self defense courses like front sight, etc...

Last year, i thought I HAD to have a G 27 to "size down". I was SHOCKED when it came in and found it only to be about 1/2 inch shorter in length and maybe not even that much shorter in height than the 23. I'd give up a 3 finger grip for a 2...unless I used the extended mag..then what's the point, then it's the same size as the 23....so I sold it back to the dealer for another snubbie, a set of CT grips for it, and some ammo. My family doesn't shoot a lot and I keep snubbies around the house for them as well as carry one for a backup gun.

Why this post? a G26 or G27 is a WONDERFUL choice - just don't think you HAVE to get a sub compact if you already own the compact. Of course, you can never have enough glocks! ;D

8. Hero

Hero Empty Pockets

I've been ankle carrying a G26 for quite a while now. I recently started putting it IWB after I get off (I used to go G19 IWB). I like the idea of my carry gun being the same in all circumstances. The subcompact Glocks are terrific.

9. Uncon214

Uncon214 Empty Pockets

First hand experience... a steady 6000 round a year round count from a G22 in .40 using 180 grain ammo... either American Eagle, Speer GoldDots, or Federal HST's... I shot a lot of JHPs... A LOT... after 3 years the G22 died. Split frame rails.

Have a G17 now. ONLY carry 9mm polymer weapons now as a result... bigger bullet equals steel (maybe aluminum... i'll make an exception for a Sig in 4.0 or .357... ok the HKs are polymer but they were designed around the .40 (USP) and .357SIG (P2000) cartridges.).... as a result, I won't recommend anything I wouldn't carry myself.

10. tower
    • In Omnia Paratus

tower Loaded Pockets

I've owned 9's in Glock and HK. I pack the G27 in my Fatboy. A little more snap than a 9, but no problem at all with practice. Never had it hang or stovepipe. 10 rd mags w Pearce +1 extenders.
    [img width=480 height=640]http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/oo218/towerful1/EDC/Target_1.jpg?t=1264387695[/img]
    I probably should adjust the sights.

11. Spydermonkey

Spydermonkey Loaded Pockets

I'm guessing by your group that you're right-handed. Use your support hand(left) thumb and put a bit of pressure against the frame near the slide lock lever. If you don't know there is a difference between slide lock and slide stop lever.

This should help to move your group back right and center. Try this before moving your sights.

12. tower
    • In Omnia Paratus

tower Loaded Pockets

You are correct about my being right dominant. I shall certainly give that a try. Thank you very much. :ty:
    I am guessing that the slide lock is the part I replaced when I installed the guide rod laser, yes?

13. Spydermonkey

Yes sir you are correct. I should've mentioned that this techinque is to be used with a 2-handed grip with the support thumb under the strong hand thumb. Pic is worth 1k words

[​IMG]

Also, have you considered carrying a Glock 22 mag for your extra or backup mag instead of the 9rd G27 mags with the +1 ext? If allowed in your State it is 15rds. It will hang out the bottom but it is surprisingly easy to shoot with and it won't take up that much more pocket space. Theres a company that makes sleeves for the mags that turn the extra part hanging out the bottom into part of the gun grip if you really think you need it. I find it not necessary. I have a G27 as well for off duty use and use the G22 mags to qualify with at the range every year along with EDC. Mine has the OD frame because that color makes me feel warm and fuzzy.

14. tower
    • In Omnia Paratus

tower Loaded Pockets

Thank you, Spider, yes the photo makes it easier to understand. I too like the OD & the Tan. Just couldn't wait (it wasn't in stock). Also, thank you for the mag info. Legal limit in CA (need I say more) is 10. I do try to obey the laws when I can.

15. Spydermonkey

This may help as well if you haven't seen it before. I still recommend a bit of pressure with the left thumb.

[img width=502 height=640]http://www.homegunsafety.com/correction_chart.gif[/img]

16. DemskeetSkeet

DemskeetSkeet Loaded Pockets

Well said Jon.

I don't believe you can hit a 2" group at 200 yards with a glock 26 or any pistol caliber for that matter.

I have to agree with Jon on this one(which I hardly ever do ;) )

The gun is only as accurate is it's intended purpose/cartridge. Are you sure you weren't shooting at a target someone else had shot with a .223?????

I'm sorry but I don't believe this guy with the 2" grouping at 200 yards with a glock 26 unless you have a full unmodified video showing it.

17. tower
    • In Omnia Paratus

tower Loaded Pockets

:iagree: All I know for sure is that I couldn't do it.

18. TNRat

TNRat Loaded Pockets

Do some yellow book research and see if any ranges have your listed choices to rent.

IMHO if you truly want a subcompact you will have to stay away from the larger than 9 and 40 Glocks. The 10 and 45 subcompacts are nearly full sized handguns.

19. TNRat

TNRat Loaded Pockets

I have shot both 9 and 40 Glocks and there is no difference in accuracy between the two cartridges when you have ammo the gun likes. Both can be superbly accurate considering we are talking about fantastic plastic.

20. ironmike86

ironmike86 Loaded Pockets

g36 and G37 are pretty small .45cal