1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Help me choose my EDC subcompact Glock!

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by Irwin J. Finster, May 7, 2009.

1. Captain. Glock

Captain. Glock Empty Pockets

I think the 26 won! :woohoo:

2. phorsaken1

phorsaken1 Loaded Pockets

Definitely get the M-Tac, it is the most comfortable holster I've ever owned. They also have a good warranty and excellent customer service. You will not be disappointed. I carry my G19 all day and sometimes forget that it is there.

3. EODtech

EODtech Loaded Pockets

I have a Glock 38 on order

4. charlie fox

charlie fox Loaded Pockets

Some of the choice has to do with the factors of your life; where do you live? Is the weather warm or cold? How/when do you intend to carry? What is your body style? And finally, what is your threat potential?

If you live in a fairly moderate climate with a lower threat level the 9mm is a good choice. I've carried a 9 longer than any other caliber for two reasons - lots of bullets and quick recovery. If you want something with a little more "poop" go with the .40. I think a .45 in a subcompact is going to be problematic (not the operation of the gun but it will be harder to shoot well and you won't want to practice).

YMMV, Good luck!

5. MikeySnyder

MikeySnyder Loaded Pockets

+1 Glock 27 .40 cal

The ammo is slightly more expensive, but when you life (potentially) depends on it, spend the 5 dollars!

6. dewildeman

dewildeman Loaded Pockets

The only experience I've had with the baby Glocks are shooting the 9mm and 10mm. The 9 very comfortable to shoot. The 10 is a beast. Way too much in a small package, IMHO. There is also a problem with getting ammo, more so now days. Unless you live in a large urban area or get your ammo delivered.

7. MikeySnyder

MikeySnyder Loaded Pockets

My dad carry's the subcom 9mm. He swears by it. I had the option of the .40 and the 10. I went with the .40 because of the ammo issues. And I do live in a large enough area, i have 7 places to buy ammo all with in a 1.5 mile radius. And i could probably come up with a few more options if i had too! As for it being too much, i dont think so. Im 5' 7'', 145 lbs, and im not a strong guy by any means. But i can shoot one handed with ease. Though there is significantly more kick then a full sized .40.

8. Willieboy

Willieboy Loaded Pockets

I love the G26. I also understand the G30 is one of Glock's most accurate pistol. My son has the mid.sized .40 and he loves his. I shoot the G26 becuase 9mm is more available and affordable.

9. ReadyFreddy23

ReadyFreddy23 Loaded Pockets

If you haven't already picked which subcompact to get, I would shoot each model first and then base your decision on how each model feels in your hands and how you shoot them. Go to a range and rent them or see if anyone you know owns those models.

I own both a 9mm (G17) and .45 (G30). I bought the 9mm so I can practice with the same manual of arms at the reduced cost of 9mm ammo.

For CCW, I carry the .45 (G30). I use a Gould and Goodrich IWB holster. My G30 is a soft shooting .45 and it's very accurate. BTW, I carry the G30 with the 10 round mag but I also carry 2 (G21) mags with 13 rounds of .45 each for reloads.

Carry what YOU are comfortable with. For me, it's the G30.

10. tpd223

tpd223 Empty Pockets

Glock 26.

I see quite a few of these on our range on my job, super reliable, very shootable with practical accuracy equal or almost equal to the G17 for most of our folks.

There is nothing wrong with a good 9mm, terminal ballistics wise.

11. Uncon214

Uncon214 Empty Pockets

+1 GLOCK 26.

The 29 and 30 are freakin huge.
    The 33 in .357Sig, like it's .40S&W 27 counterpart, is too much gun for the frame... they wear out faster.

Def. +1 for the 26, second choice is 30.

12. thatdamnhewitt

thatdamnhewitt Loaded Pockets

I chose the G27. I like the idea of IF needed , I can get mags that are compatible if backing a fellow officer when off duty in my area ( g22 and 23 are locally issued LEO weapons).

I have a few other 9mm Glocks, and like them all. I like to shoot matches and such with 9mm. I get .40 for practice from work, so the ammo availability is not really a factor. Oddly, I see more .40 in Wally world than 9mm, and it's been that way here ( SW VA) for about 2 months now. I do believe caliber comparisons are splitting hairs, just make your shots count and the hard and fast thing will defeat the soft and squishy parts every time. Pistols are not death rays, so multiple shots and cover are important, more so that tens and hundredths of an inch cross section of your rounds.

Just my 2cents

13. EODtech

EODtech Loaded Pockets

14. 2slim

2slim Empty Pockets

Glock 19

Big enough to fight with, small enough to carry comfortably..............................

15. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil Loaded Pockets

2" group @ 200 yards with a g26? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: yeah right.

16. BroBrandonB

BroBrandonB Empty Pockets

You won't go wrong with any glock, but I'd give another vote for G26.

With premium ammo, you've got a solid weapon, and the 9mm increased capacity gives you more "second chances". FWIW, I bought an MTAC holster and recently upgraded to their appendix carry holster, basically the same holster except a bit more adjustable. When I CC with it, I wear it at 11:00. With a properly bloused [or untucked] tshirt, not only is it comfortable for a good while, but also undetectable.

With slightly baggy jeans, I have pocket carried a G26 often. Tho in my efforts to improve my personal appearance, I'm wearing more "fitted" jeans lately, and bought a Kel Tec P32 for pocket carry.

17. dwnptrl_777

dwnptrl_777 Loaded Pockets

Just a quick recommendation for that Mino' MTAC. I use one every day to carry my G27 Glock. Smart setup, IMO.

18. tpd223

tpd223 Empty Pockets

For IWB carry the shorter barrel guns offer no advantage over the longer guns since the muzzle end is concealed inside the pants.

I carry a G19 often, and have carried a G17 and a G34 for IWB without any issues.

I see the G26 as a specialty gun, a BUG to the bigger Glock 9mms is it's best role, the G26 can ride places such as an ankle holster where the bigger guns can't fit.

For IWB carry I'd go with a G19.

19. Tango 191

Tango 191 Loaded Pockets

20. Dirty Bob

Dirty Bob Loaded Pockets

The one place where the G26 shines in IWB carry is in the appendix position. Carried on the front of the body, a shorter pistol is much more comfortable than a longer one.

Regards,
    Dirty Bob