1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Help me choose my EDC subcompact Glock!

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by Irwin J. Finster, May 7, 2009.

1. ewenit

ewenit Empty Pockets

Seems like you already sort of know what you want. ;)
    I hear people complain a lot about the "power" of the 9mm but I don't see anyone volunteering to be hit by one either. Plus 9mm is cost effective, fun to shoot and it wont break the bank comparatively to the other rounds.

My personal choice would be the .45 though. The rounds aren't too pricey where I'm from and bottom feeders are pretty tame in the recoil dept. *Dons flame retardant suit*

I hope you get all the information you need from everyone to make a good well thought out decision, and I hope when you do get your firearm you provide us with some feedback/review on how you like it.

:luck:

2. jehan60188

jehan60188 Loaded Pockets

a hit with the gun you're most comfortable with is worth ten times as much as a miss with whatever anyone else recommends

3. rwdflynavy
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

rwdflynavy Loaded Pockets

"but for me the decision came when I moved the same target out to 200 yards and could still maintain a 2" group with the G26,"

Yea, I'm a member of the Patholigical Liars Organization....in fact, I'm the president, yeah, that's the ticket!  And I'm married to Morgan Fairchild, whom I've slept with!!

Yeah that's the ticket.  I slept with her right after I shot a target at 200 yards maintaining a 2" group with my G26.

:evilgrin:

4. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

This is probably wrong, but I'm interested to see where this goes... :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

5. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

I know I responded questioning the claims.

We can discuss facts and exchange information out here but lets try to do it in a factual civil way. I hope I didn't open a can of worms.

Facts are good, if this ends up becoming personal it is not so good. ;D

6. Okamikyu

Okamikyu Empty Pockets

To JonSidneyB
    I agree with you completely.

And to Irwin J. Finster
    I wish you the best of luck with your search and hope you are as happy with your choice as I was with mine.

7. Captain. Glock

Captain. Glock Empty Pockets

Cause Glocks are better. :mad:

Anyways ... go with 26 it has the most rounds and if you get good quality ammo the whole .45 vs. 9 mm doesn't make a difference.

8. AKS

AKS Empty Pockets

2' groups at 200 yards with a pistol!?!?! Please. I might be new here, but there is no way- ever.
    To the OP, go shoot them both and go from there. You should also consider what other- if any- pistols you have in your arsenal. You do not want to mix calibers unless you are very very careful. If you have 9mm already then go with the 26.
    I love my G27, but lots of people who have fired it hate it. It is a very snappy recoil and several people have a hard time fireing more than 50-100 rounds before their hand begins to hurt. Lots of power in a light pistol makes for a difficult thing to manage.

9. MKram

MKram Loaded Pockets

Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. One (small) drawback with the subcompact Glocks in any caliber is that they 'smack' rather than 'push' insofar as felt recoil. It's a fairly subtle thing, and prime opportunity for Discovery Channel producers to shoot on 'Time Warp' but even I notice a difference in my 17 vs. my 26. Again, to paraphrase what everyone else's said, the 'gun in the hand is worth everything and the ones in the cabinet are worthless' and you'll need to practice with and carry what you use everyday. Bullets are cheap. Life is precious. Give lots of bullets away to those who are deserving, whether intact ones to friends or newly-powderless to enemies...

Dos Centavos for your consideration.

10. conquer88

conquer88 Loaded Pockets

Go for G26 ! subcompact gun is for back up only. if you want big bore buy standard size.

11. grimm_kaosboy

grimm_kaosboy Empty Pockets

Like most others have said, you KNOW what you want in a gun, aside from the caliber. Take the time to shoot all the differnt flavors if at all possible, and see which one feels best and shoots best for you. A few tips if I may...
    1) get a hogue hand-all rubber grip sleeve, it GREATLY reduces felt impact on the mits
    2) trigger issues: for my G22 I have the 3.5 spring connector. Makes for a shorter, faster and IMHO smoother trigger pull. Now if you are worried about the litigation sharks (i.e. "Your honor, this man modified his trigger for a lighter pull. So he could kill a man easier") add the NY 1 trigger spring to it. It will give you all the advantages of the smoother trigger pull with shorter reset AND bring the trigger pull back up to the factory 5.5 lbs.

Thank you Massad Ayoob

12. squshware

squshware Empty Pockets

Does anyone have any anecdotal evidence of subcompact or compact Glocks being lesser in any way to full size?

13. Dirty Bob

Dirty Bob Loaded Pockets

Nothing negative here! In fact, Mas Ayoob credits the thicker barrels and strong recoil springs for giving the subcompacts a very good level of accuracy. I believe his favorite subcompact is the G30.

Regards,
    Dirty Bob

14. Doug S

Doug S Empty Pockets

Glock 26 is my favorite handgun. I recommend the 26. Glock was designed around the 9mm, and it seems to be the most foolproof Glock caliber. My 26 has been 100% with all types of ammo, and with all of my magazines, including the 17 and 33 rounders. My Glock 27 on the other hand was not as reliable with fullcap mags.

15. jehan60188

jehan60188 Loaded Pockets

were you limp wristing?

16. Doug S

Doug S Empty Pockets

Not that I know of, I've never had that problem with any other gun. The G27 was fine with the regular magazines, but occasionally I'd have the gun fail to go completely into battery with the extended magazines. I've read of this being an issue with this gun. Some people speculate that the extended mags will flex with a persons grip on the gun, and may cause the malfunction. I've never had this issue with my G26. In fact, I like the G26 so much that my G27 became a second G26. Also have a G17, and have never had a malfunction with it or either of the G26' either.

17. Stelth

Stelth Banned

I love my G26. I shoot better with it than I do my full-sized Sig 226, plus it's easier to tote.

18. Tmad

Tmad Loaded Pockets

19. protaganis

protaganis Loaded Pockets

Based on availability and cost of their ammo, I'd recommend either 9mm or .45 cal. Nothing worse than skipping practice (or worse) because you could find or afford to feed your sidearm.
    Of course, YMMV depending on what sidearms have become the most popular in your area. My local supplier expects large purchases of those ammo types and stocks accordingly

20. Dreadnought

Dreadnought Empty Pockets

First I'd like to say you've made two good choices right off the bat: Glock and Comp-Tac MTAC. I've got dozens of handguns and scores of holsters that I've accumulated over 25 years. For IWB carry I truly love my Glock 30 (double-stack .45ACP) and my Glock 36 (single stack .45ACP) in a Comp-Tac Minotaur holster, either the MTAC or the Spartan. Extremely comfortable holsters. Excellent positive retention and no unnecessary thickness. If you have smaller hands the G30 may feel a bit thick, but that's why they made the G30SF model. :) Glock reduced the distance between the backstrap where the web of your hand sets and the trigger, making the gun feel much less think for not having really altered the dimensions to any great degree. The G36 though is thinner than any other Glock and it is light (20 oz.± unloaded). Some are afraid of the lower round count (6+1), but seven rounds of .45ACP Winchester Ranger T 230 grain is awfully capable plus I usually carry an extra mag (at least one), and the nice thing with the G36 is the mags are single stack, so they're even easier to stow in your off-hand pocket than a double stack magazine.

Going to the John whilst carrying a handgun is always going to be a little bit trickier than if you didn't have a firearm. Without getting graphic here, I usually just keep my britches up over my knees as I sit down and then put my pistol in the little hammock that my pants form there in front of me. Out of sight, but easy to access. Need to keep your Roscoe ready when you're doing the business...haven't you heard the expression "caught with your pants down"? ;D