1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Help me choose my EDC subcompact Glock!

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by Irwin J. Finster, May 7, 2009.

1. Irwin J. Finster

Irwin J. Finster Loaded Pockets

Having formerly had my problems with the Glock trigger, some extensive shooting with a friends 17 has cured me from that. Now I seem to be ready to get one of the Subcompact Glock models for EDC (the only thing that held me back has always been the trigger).

But now I got a big problem, I can't decide which caliber to get :mad:

Please tell me your opinion and experiences so that I can more easily choose between:

G 26 9mm

G 29 10 mm Auto

G 30 .45

G 33 .357 Sig

The .45 G.A.P., .40 and the .380 Auto I don't really like, so they are not an option.

The relative scarcity and the high price steer me a little away from the .357 and the 10 mm, but their increased power has it's merits.

The 9 mm is the weakest of the bunch, but the smaller size and the larger mag capacity make up for that a little.

Finally, the .45 a classic in itself, and a respectable round, but where I life not really that much cheaper than the .357 or the 10 mm (though avaliable everywhere). And though I think the stopping power is really adequate, I have heard bad things about the .45 if you have to shoot trough thick glass for example.

I intend to carry the gun in an IWB holster, probably a Minotaur MTAC Holster. Any thoughts on that? How comfortable is it? While riding a car? How does it work out if you have to go to the toilet with such a thing on ;D? I am mostly dressed casually, only with jeans and T-shirt (if I can get away with it, that is).

Thanks for any help!

2. SF1

SF1 Banned

I have the G26, and Love it. Nothing wrong with 9mm.

You can't go wrong with any glock.

3. captainamerica

captainamerica Loaded Pockets

The G26 is smaller than the G30 but their is a G36 in .45 acp that's pretty close. I like them all.

4. rwdflynavy
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

rwdflynavy Loaded Pockets

I own the G30 and love it. Very soft shooting pistol for a .45 and holds ten rounds. That being said, the G26 is significantly smaller and easier to conceal.

No use getting in the whole .45 vs 10mm vs 9mm debate. The important thing is to carry it whenever allowed by law.

5. sarxsvt

sarxsvt Loaded Pockets

Whatever you pick, just get out, shoot it, and become comfortable with it.

If you've never felt of a Glock 30, be sure to pick one up, I have massive hands and even I don't like the grip. (The 29 is almost exactly the same, you would not think that 1/10th of an inch could make such a difference sometimes)

Ive carried my 27 in an IWB almost everywhere. Just out of curiosity, why do you not like the .40 S&W?

Gun :censored:! Glock 27 W/Crimson Trace Laser

Thats a cheapo Don Hume IWB holster in the picture, and to be honest, its been a nice holster for what I paid.

6. antman157

antman157 Loaded Pockets

I have the G26, and I love mine .. Easy to conseal .. Also a box of 9mm cost me $10 for 50 .. Thats when I can find it ..

Its up to you, but as for me, I like the 9mm .. My buddy has the 40 cal, but I havent shot it yet

7. thatdamnhewitt

thatdamnhewitt Loaded Pockets

I would say either the 26 or 27 will serve you well. There really is not that big of a factor when choosing ammo. I would say shoot both , and then choose the pistol that you control the best during rapid fire. If it's close to a tie, then look at your ammo availablity in your area.

All handgun ammo seems scarce right now, but if the "word on the street" regarding the current administration NOT allowing used military brass to be sold to companies like Georgia Arms etc. holds true then I suspect that 9mm ( and .223) being plentiful and affordable will be a thing of the past. :mad: I have a friend who has an outstanding .357 sig chambered Glock. Ammo for it , for whatever reason, is very rare in my area. And not cheap!

I guess in summary base your decision on hands on assessment, and consider ammo needs. Get something soon and put some rounds into as realistic training course or "competition training" ( IDPA, GSSF, or IPSC stock). Oh, and off topic some, consider joining the NRA or other 2nd Amendment defense group. I feel that there is work to do, or we will one day reflect on shall issue concealed carry as " the good old days".

My 2 cents. Good Luck

8. Spydermonkey

Spydermonkey Loaded Pockets

I would take the G26. Ammo is cheaper and easier to find but yet still very effective. 9mm recoil is manageable and fun to shoot so you can get lots of trigger time in. The G26 also has a larger capacity.

I carry a G27 out of necessity. I carry a G22 w/my dept and it only makes sense to have the smaller version as my off-duty weapon. I'm not a fan of .40sw but that just my opinion. It costs alot more and due to recoil is less fun to throw a ton of lead down range.

YMMV

9. bigfoot

bigfoot Loaded Pockets

+1 Just be sure to check out and hold the different models as others have said. I was all set on a G27 (.40S&W) a few years ago, but once I picked it up in the gun store that cured that idea. Went with the G23 instead.

In our area ammo of any sort is in short supply. 9mm is practically impossible to find, followed by all the other calibers. A 30-mile search turned up two boxes of 9mm Speer HP. I sure hope the ammo situation improves...

Best of luck in your choice and enjoy the new Glock!

10. Irwin J. Finster

Irwin J. Finster Loaded Pockets

Ha, I just found a company that makes excellent caliber change barrels for the Glocks, the also offer a barrel that changes the G 33 to 9mm. Would be really a nice thing to have the power of the .357 but still the option to use 9mm :roof:

11. Spydermonkey

Spydermonkey Loaded Pockets

A good place to get conversion barrels is from lonewolfdist. They're usually cheaper than the other Glock parts sites

12. JN01

JN01 Loaded Pockets

I have the usual box-o-holsters, but the Don Hume 715 (either with the clip like yours or one with the snap on straps) is what I use to appendix carry my G26. Works best for me.

13. Kabong30

Kabong30 Empty Pockets

Watch this: Why not an XD?

14. Okamikyu

Okamikyu Empty Pockets

I have a G26 packed inside a Minotaur MTAC holster, loaded with Speer 147 gr GoldDots. I also debated with myself about the caliber to get it in (being between the G26 and G27) and I choose the G26 after a friend of mine, who owns several different glocks, and I went to our local range and spent the day shooting them. I would have to say if you get the chance, shoot them, see what feels the best to you, go though active reloads and run through shooting scenarios, before you buy. For me personally it came down to the fact that I know I can shoot a full mag at a target 25 feet away and have 1 hole in it with all shots accounted for. I could do the same with a G27, but for me the decision came when I moved the same target out to 200 yards and could still maintain a 2" group with the G26, where as the G27 was all over the place. Now before people mention it, self-defense shooting takes place at close range a majority of the time, but for me I still prefer to know what I am capable of. Also I should mention that I practice with my G26 weekly (it helps being a reloader) and that my experiences with by no means are going to be anyone else's. So I stand by what I said about buying the model that feels best to you.
    Now for the holster, I am very pleased with it also. I travel most of the western slope of Colorado for work and I don't even notice the holster. I carry between small of the back and the hip, just right of my blue jeans back pocket. Its a little harder to get to when seated in a car and the seat belt latched for me, but any other time its easy to get to. After the first week, seeing as it was my first holster in that style, I didn't even know it was there. Well thats my 2 cents, also if you practice with it make sure you practice with that same weight bullet that you would carry.

15. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

2" Group at 200 yards with a Glock? A Sig 210 will not do that and they are not in the same league accuracy wise. There are quite a few rifles that will not do that.

16. Okamikyu

Okamikyu Empty Pockets

True, but it is possible and when I'm not working I'm shooting. With any luck I hope to be a 2012 Olympic shooter for at least one of the 3 pistol styles I shoot. Also to longer the distance the longer I take to fire the shots.

17. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

But you cannot shoot better than the mechanical accuracy of the gun. You would need a gun that was less suitable for carry to pull that off.

Ralf Schumann could not do that at 200 yards.

The guns that produce that kind of accuracy at pistol ranges would be things like a Hammerli SP20, Walther GSP, or a Pardini HP. The problem is the bullets that produce the best accuracy at pistol distances are not the best for 200 yard shooting.

18. Nater

Nater Loaded Pockets

Caliber wars. Shot placement > bigger bullet EVERY DAY OF THE WEEK and twice on Sunday.

My vote would be G26 as well. 9mm is a good, fast shooting, light recoiling SD cartridge. Costs less too meaning you can practice more.

I wish I could shoot glocks myself, I'd own a 19 and a 26.

19. johnsoax

johnsoax Empty Pockets

I have a full size XD-9 in an M-Tac that is comfortable all day long, in the car, in a desk chair (at home, as my office is a CPZ :(). And I am only 5'7" and 180 lbs, and it disappears as a full size.

I could never get used to the compact. The part for me that is hard to conceal is the grip, not the slide.

20. P35

P35 Loaded Pockets

:iagree:
    G26 and an extra magazine